Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama in 1998: "I actually believe in Redistribution"

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:18 AM
  • 104 Replies
4 moms liked this

The text:

"What that means then is that as we try to resuscitate this notion that we’re all in this thing together, leave nobody behind, we do have to be innovative and thinking what are the delivery systems that are actually effective and meet people where they live. And my suggestion, I guess would be that the trick, and this is one of the few areas where I think there are technical issues that have to be dealt with as opposed to just political issues. I think the trick is figuring out how do we structure government systems that pool resources and hence facilitate some redistribution because I actually believe in redistribution, at least at a certain level to make sure everybody’s got a shot.”

Obama is basically talking about the need to make government more efficient and more effective in giving the hand-out and the hand-up.  I have to agree witht he part about "technical issues that have to be dealt with as opposed to just political issues."

That's a major reason why I support Romney for president.  Mitt Romney has a talent at getting right down to the technical issues, while still preserving social safety nets. 

By the way, the GOP is not campaigning to eliminate social safety nets, but is in fact campaigning against further redistribution.  There comes a point at which  taxes inhibit economic growth, there comes a point at which bad policy chokes economic growth, adds burdens onto the middle class, while also shrinking the opportunity and that fairness that Obama spoke about.

There comes a point when bad fiscal policy is no longer sustainable, and we are rapidly approaching that point. President Obama, however, is continuing to put social safety nets in jeopardy by allowing our national debt to multiply.  By doing so, virtually every government-funded program will become unfundable within our lifetimes.

This is why people who truly rely on social safety nets have a vested interest in fiscal responsibility of our national government, and therefore in choosing a path other than the one on which Obama is leading.  This is why a vote for increased redistribution and increased government aid will only reap short-term success, if any, but long-term failure.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You didn't write that on your own.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:06 AM

I did not write what Obama said, but the rest is me.

_Kissy_
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Not news.

Romney told half the population to go phuck their self. The ripple effect has happened.

They can find a video showing Obama pushing granny in the lake, it still would not be as bad at what Romney said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM
2 moms liked this

1998? Seriously? In 1998, I believed that I'd be a size 6 forever and that gray hair didn't happen until menopause.

2012? Notsomuch.

FOURTEEN years can change a person's perspective.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting _Kissy_:

Not news.

Romney told half the population to go phuck their self. The ripple effect has happened.

They can find a video showing Obama pushing granny in the lake, it still would not be as bad at what Romney said.

Um, no, he did not.  He said that he was not directing his campaign at people who would be voting for Obama no matter what. 

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Why so defensive?  Did you actually read the entire OP?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

1998? Seriously? In 1998, I believed that I'd be a size 6 forever and that gray hair didn't happen until menopause.

2012? Notsomuch.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Yes I did. Why did you assume I didn't? And I don't have enough coffee in me to get defensive.

I believe in redistribution at the level Obama is talking about. I don't see it happening currently in his administration in the way he talked about it FOURTEEN years ago.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

2012? Notsomuch.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Do you not understand that any current redistribution will be unfundable is we continue the current path? 

It all dovetails together quite nicely actually, this Obama audio and the Romney video (from 5 months ago.)  It's the irony of that redistribution being put into jeopardy by Obama's fiscal policy.  It's the irony that while some staunch Obama supporters, calling for redistribution and entitlements, will keep supporting Obama, while Romney knows that he cannot win their votes, although Romney and his party are committed to fiscal responsibility which is the only thing that can preserve entitlements. 

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Yes I did. Why did you assume I didn't? And I don't have enough coffee in me to get defensive.

I believe in redistribution at the level Obama is talking about. I don't see it happening currently in his administration in the way he talked about it FOURTEEN years ago.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

2012? Notsomuch.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Totally agree with you.Republicans will not end PA.I doubt many of them would even want to.IMO there is nothing wrong with recieveing some aid when times have gone really rough and you are uncapable of lifting yourself out.It is just that if you are a capable person then it should be ..and is meant to be..a temporary aid.

I believe the way Obama speaks of government aid is overkill...he doesn't speak in terms of a bit of help until one can do for themselves he speaks of government hand outs...that the government knows whats best for people better then themselves and should hold their hand through life.He believes that all successful Americans owe it to the unsuccessful or even the career PA people (which is actually those Romney was speaking of NOT those who are incapable or need a bit of help!) ..some of their earned monies.He believes that it is impossible for alot to get ahead without AID from other peoples taxes and big government.He encourages people to get aid regardless if it is truly needed or not.Alot of people have fallen into that mindset and its sad.imo.One day the money wont be there...when there are no jobs and the majority is down and falling further there wont be AID to help anyone.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM
6 moms liked this

By the way I do not believe that most conservatives would want to totally do away with all PA either contrary to what others seem to think.Alot of us also want the bailout stuff to stop.If a business cannot thrive on it's own accord than maybe it needs to fail and allow someone else to come in and possibly turn it around to be a success.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)