Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

OBama's Moocher Culture

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 48 Replies
2 moms liked this

Looks like the left picked the wrong word to bash Romney with

The liberal media went wild over a video of Mitt Romney saying people who pay no taxes and live off government handouts have no reason to vote for him. Left unsaid is that Barack Obama has been running on exactly that platform. When it comes to the culture of dependency, President Obama built that.

Mr. Obama views government as a bottomless well of free handouts. Every idea, every proposal, every promise Mr. Obama makes involves the government giving something to somebody. His urgent focus is to expand and strengthen government’s role in everyone’s daily life. This was illustrated in the Obama campaign slideshow “The Life of Julia,” a detailed roadmap for cradle-to-grave dependence on government. Every slide began with, “Under President Obama” — which the White House believes is the proper place for Americans.

Mr. Obama said he wanted to spread the wealth around and fundamentally transform America. Unfortunately, he has. There are more Americans in poverty now than when President Lyndon Johnson declared war on it in 1964. Mr. Obama is called the “food-stamp president” for good reason. A record 47 million Americans per month — almost one in six — are on food stamps, which is practically double the number from when Mr. Obama took office. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack posited that food stamps are an “economic stimulus” that actually creates wealth. “Every dollar of [food stamps] generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity,” he claimed in 2011.

The White House also believes in the miraculous effects of unemployment benefits. In 2011, White House spokesman Jay Carney said handouts to the jobless were critical to the economy because “every place that, that money is spent has added business and that creates growth and income for businesses that leads them to decisions about jobs, more hiring.” So unemployment creates jobs — such political doublespeak would make George Orwell blush.

The vaunted “stimulus” program was nearly a trillion dollars of giveaways to well-connected insiders. It failed to produce the promised job benefits but did prop up a network of Obama cronies who would have a hard time competing on a level playing field. All Mr. Obama can do is spend other people’s money and run up debt like a teenager with a credit card. He has no concept of where wealth comes from; he just assumes he has a right to appropriate it. The results of his policies have been predictable: a stalled economy, record numbers of Americans not working and astronomical debt. Yet Mr. Obama continues to promise more handouts, more programs, more giveaways, more government.

Mr. Obama’s voter base is typified by the euphoric 2008 supporter who said she, “never thought this day would ever happen. I won’t have to worry about putting gas in my car. I won’t have to worry about paying my mortgage. You know, if I help him, he’s gonna help me.” There is no reason for the moocher class to vote for someone like Mr. Romney who promises fiscal accountability. He threatens their government goodies.

The Washington Times

Read more: EDITORIAL: Obama's moocher culture - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/18/obamas-moocher-culture/#ixzz26xxSvnue
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM
5 moms liked this
A government for the people by the people. I pay taxes so people have food, education, medical care, shelter and other necessities.

God help me for I have sinned.

Reagan and bush sign those laws in effect for people to not pay taxes, take it up with them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

BUMP!

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting _Kissy_:

A government for the people by the people. I pay taxes so people have food, education, medical care, shelter and other necessities.

God help me for I have sinned.

Reagan and bush sign those laws in effect for people to not pay taxes, take it up with them

God help me too. All I've done was do what you told me to do. Love thy neighbor and help those less fortunate.

Sadly, your followers forget that and want to be selfish with their earnings.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't understand this obsession with putting down people for needing help, and putting down someone wanting to help in a time of dire economic crisis. There are people who take advantage of the system, but there are people out there wanting to be better off financially, and will be, but right now they need a hand. I'm sorry if I don't mind my taxes helping those people out. 

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a never ending cycle. All these decades later of helping people with the basics have led to more and more people on the system and paying more and more money in services that go beyond the basics. There is no incentive for those who make more living on the system to get off of it. 

Quoting rccmom:

I don't understand this obsession with putting down people for needing help, and putting down someone wanting to help in a time of dire economic crisis. There are people who take advantage of the system, but there are people out there wanting to be better off financially, and will be, but right now they need a hand. I'm sorry if I don't mind my taxes helping those people out. 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM
3 moms liked this

There are always incentives. Generational poverty does exist, yes, and the best way to break that cycle is education. I think our tax dollars need to support education, Pell Grants should not be cut back, and there should be help available in the meantime. 

That is not to say that there is not room for improvment in the sytem, but this narrative of a country of moochers is getting a bit old.

Quoting Canvas_says:

It's a never ending cycle. All these decades later of helping people with the basics have led to more and more people on the system and paying more and more money in services that go beyond the basics. There is no incentive for those who make more living on the system to get off of it. 

Quoting rccmom:

JustCJ
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you. The problem is that there are big enough cracks for the free-loaders to fall through. A re-haul is definitely needed.

Quoting rccmom:

rccmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree about the cracks, but I think as long as we are calling them ALL moochers, and villfying them for it, it leads to a basic misunderstanding of what is needed, and what is needed to be changed.

Quoting JustCJ:

I agree with you. The problem is that there are big enough cracks for the free-loaders to fall through. A re-haul is definitely needed.

Quoting rccmom:

JustCJ
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM

So true!

Quoting rccmom:

I agree about the cracks, but I think as long as we are calling them ALL moochers, and villfying them for it, it leads to a basic misunderstanding of what is needed, and what is needed to be changed.

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting rccmom:

batman24
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM
What about cutting Pell grants? I am a single mother if twins. I am on welfare as well as food stamps. I will be attending school in January. How are single, good, mothers like myself supossed to be able to get off of welfare and food stamps if we are not offered a better education?
However, I do agree that the government needs to weed out all those who take advantage of the system.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN