Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

U.S. Embassy Spends $70K on Ads Denouncing Anti-Muslim Film for Pakistani TV

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Eds
  • 24 Replies

World

U.S. Embassy Spends $70K on Ads Denouncing Anti-Muslim Film for Pakistani TV

U.S. Embassy in Islamabad Spends $70K on Ads Denouncing Anti Muslim Film for Pakistani TV

Image source: Facebook

The U.S. Embassy in Pakistan has started screening advertisements on Pakistani television featuring President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemning the film “Innocence of Muslims.”

The ad cost the embassy $70,000 and started running on Thursday, the Associated Press reported. It features clips of both Obama and Clinton each denouncing the film and seeking to distance the United States from it, their words translated in Urdu.

“A message from the President of the United States Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton,” the spot begins.

“Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths,” Obama says. “We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. But there is absolutely no justification to this type of senseless violence. None.”

It ends with the seal of the American Embassy in Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told the AP the spot was produced by the embassy, which spent $70,000 to air it on seven Pakistani television stations. It is only running in Pakistan.

“As you know, after the (anti-Islam) video came out, there was concern in lots of bodies politic, including Pakistan, as to whether this represented the views of the U.S. government,” Nuland said. “So, in order to be sure that we reached the largest number of Pakistanis, some 90 million as I understand it in this case with these spots, it was the judgment that this was the best way to do it.”

“Innocence of Muslims,” which denigrates the Prophet Muhammad as an womanizer and child molester, has been blamed at least in part for igniting violent protests across the Arab world. According to the AP, 30 people have been killed, including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya and three other American personnel in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.

“Let me state very clearly, and I hope it is obvious, that the United States government had absolutely nothing to do with this video,” Clinton states in the ad. “We absolutely reject its content and message. America’s commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.”

The State Department on Thursday warned all U.S. citizens against traveling to Pakistan until further notice as demonstrations around the country continued.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see what the problem is? There has been a violent uproar. The US Embassy is designed to keep nations we deal with peaceful with us and our allies. If the making of this video sparked a violent uproar, it would make sense to address the issue by clarifying that the US government is not responsible for making the video. Advertisements are expensive but 70K is pocket change when we look at what we would be spending if they did decide to turn their violence against us.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

I don't see what the problem is? There has been a violent uproar. The US Embassy is designed to keep nations we deal with peaceful with us and our allies. If the making of this video sparked a violent uproar, it would make sense to address the issue by clarifying that the US government is not responsible for making the video. Advertisements are expensive but 70K is pocket change when we look at what we would be spending if they did decide to turn their violence against us.

Wow!!! It only took the Obama Administration nine days to admit that the September 11th attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi which claimed the life of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were an act of terrorism.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney says its "self-evident" that these were terrorist attacks. Still, Carney won't say the attacks were premeditated. Yes, I guess Carney is still going to tell us that the attacks had nothing to do with the fact that they took place on September 11th.

Of course, the Obama Administration was singing a very different tune with UN Ambassador Susan Rice calling the violence a "spontaneous reaction" prompted by the internet video "The Innocence of Muslims".

I suppose we should be grateful that the Obama Administration recognizes that what happened in Libya was an act of terrorism. It's been nearly three years since the shootings at Fort Hood and the Obama Administration considers that an act of "workplace violence".

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Obama gave the go ahead and shot and kill Bin Laden on sight. The war in the Middle East continues to this day. What more do you want? Should we just nuke them and get it over with?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Wow!!! It only took the Obama Administration nine days to admit that the September 11th attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi which claimed the life of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were an act of terrorism.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney says its "self-evident" that these were terrorist attacks. Still, Carney won't say the attacks were premeditated. Yes, I guess Carney is still going to tell us that the attacks had nothing to do with the fact that they took place on September 11th.

Of course, the Obama Administration was singing a very different tune with UN Ambassador Susan Rice calling the violence a "spontaneous reaction" prompted by the internet video "The Innocence of Muslims".

I suppose we should be grateful that the Obama Administration recognizes that what happened in Libya was an act of terrorism. It's been nearly three years since the shootings at Fort Hood and the Obama Administration considers that an act of "workplace violence".

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Obama gave the go ahead and shot and kill Bin Laden on sight. The war in the Middle East continues to this day. What more do you want? Should we just nuke them and get it over with?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Now you are on different topics..you made a comment and I provided you with an answer.. They gave a bogus story primarily knocking down free speech and now are singing a different tune. A bogus explanation at the tune of $70,000 of tax payers money.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

$70K isn't really that much. Has there been any RECENT reactions to the video that would have prompted the need to make this ad?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Now you are on different topics..you made a comment and I provided you with an answer.. They gave a bogus story primarily knocking down free speech and now are singing a different tune. A bogus explanation of the tune of $70,000 of tax payers money.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Think about it. This is just more money obama is spending to say that we should not have free speech in the U.S. Once again, obummer is apologizing because we have the right of free speech.

obama is swinging from side to side every day now and can't get his story straight.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

$70K isn't really that much. Has there been any RECENT reactions to the video that would have prompted the need to make this ad?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Now you are on different topics..you made a comment and I provided you with an answer.. They gave a bogus story primarily knocking down free speech and now are singing a different tune. A bogus explanation of the tune of $70,000 of tax payers money.

They KNEW this wasn't about the video..they KNEW the Constitution gives free speech..they knew they screwed up in not protecting the embassies better..whether they admit it or not.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Quoting gsprofval:

Think about it. This is just more money obama is spending to say that we should not have free speech in the U.S. Once again, obummer is apologizing because we have the right of free speech.

obama is swinging from side to side every day now and can't get his story straight.

OH speaking of.. Well, heck..I'll POST it..

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Now, in what way below does the statement to the Pakistani people say that "we" (I presume you mean we here in the US) should not have free speech?

“A message from the President of the United States Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton,” the spot begins.

“Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths,” Obama says. “We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. But there is absolutely no justification to this type of senseless violence. None.”

Quoting gsprofval:

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's never too late to start. I feel that this ad is an attempt to protect the Embassy.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

They KNEW this wasn't about the video..they KNEW the Constitution gives free speech..they knew they screwed up in not protecting the embassies better..whether they admit it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)