Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand...*Updated*

I've been thinking a lot about this Abraham Lincoln quote lately.  To me, this sums up what is happening in the Republican party.  What do you think?  Once the dust settles, who do you think is going to end up with control of the Republican party?  Do you think this schism will end up strengthening a third party?

UTA:  Maybe more Republicans are open to this discussion now?  I think that the division in the Republican party is the biggest reason Mitt lost.  Where do we go from here?

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
imamomzilla
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you changed....? The party didn't.

I don't know any "staunch" Repubs who are as militant Pro Choice as you are.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I was a staunch republican but over the years the party has moved so far from me I can no longer consider myself a republican. There is a big fracture in the party some just choose to have blinders on.

"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." - Mother Teresa

LadyByrdNest
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I just started voting 4 years ago.....I'm a full blown Independent.....in most areas of my life. I have to be fair and balanced. Perhaps this lends to the fact I'm a Libra lol!!

LadyByrdNest
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I can't stand nutz most of the time either, but don't bait it.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Nevermind you really aren't worth my time.

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

I can't stand nutz most of the time either, but don't bait it.

Quoting imamomzilla:

LadyByrdNest
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

confused

LadyByrdNest
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I believe both parties are equally fine. This election will be determined by those like me, who are waiting for the debates, or who do not discuss who they are voting for in general until the ballot is cast.

Quoting jesse123456:

Don't believe the media hope. Republicans are doing just fine. The media is saying they aren't so people will vote for PBO. It is the free political press PBO gets. No, we're fine.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

No.

Republicans are more united than ever against the ignorant  tomfoolery of the  Democrat Party.

There is no significant divide in the Republican Party to amount to anything when civilization is on the line.

We see that civilization is on the line.

Democrats see free birth control pills.

I have been a registered Republican since 1980, when I proudly cast my first vote for Ronald Reagan.  I am not voting Republican this year, and for the first time ever am voting third party.  I am not alone in this.  Those of us who are not social conservatives have essentially been cast out, there is no place for us at the Republican table.  As a fiscal conservative, I don't belong at the Democratic table either, but to be honest, they didn't ever have me at their table, the Republicans did.

I am wondering how much losing the Republicans have to do before they moderate so those of us who wish to be at the table have that place we desire.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Peanutx3:

I was a staunch republican but over the years the party has moved so far from me I can no longer consider myself a republican. There is a big fracture in the party some just choose to have blinders on.

Then you don't know many Republicans, because I am in Peanut's boat.  I was also always a Republican, and the party has moved far right.  It used to be more moderate and have a place for more moderates.

imamomzilla
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You may have been a card carrier and voted that way....but... perhaps you were not aware of their platform and what they stood for?

Repubs have ALWAYS been for smaller government...which means less entitlements, lower taxes.  My father drilled that in my head from a very young age. As a rebellious young adult, I voted Dem. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

With age, comes wisdom. ;-)

Quoting romalove:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Then you don't know many Republicans, because I am in Peanut's boat.  I was also always a Republican, and the party has moved far right.  It used to be more moderate and have a place for more moderates.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

You may have been a card carrier and voted that way....but... perhaps you were not aware of their platform and what they stood for?

Repubs have ALWAYS been for smaller government...which means less entitlements, lower taxes.  My father drilled that in my head from a very young age. As a rebellious young adult, I voted Dem. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

With age, comes wisdom. ;-)

Quoting romalove:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Peanutx3:

I am still for smaller government.  The party has moved to the right.  You may not want to acknowledge that, but it doesn't change what "is".

And I have always been wise beyond my years, lucky me.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)