Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pastors pledge to defy IRS, preach politics from pulpit ahead of election

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM
  • 27 Replies

More than 1,000 pastors are planning to challenge the IRS next month by deliberately preaching politics ahead of the presidential election despite a federal ban on endorsements from the pulpit.

The defiant move, they hope, will prompt the IRS to enforce a 1954 tax code amendment that prohibits tax-exempt organizations, such as churches, from making political endorsements. Alliance Defending Freedom, which is holding the October summit, said it wants the IRS to press the matter so it can be decided in court. The group believes the law violates the First Amendment by “muzzling” preachers.

“The purpose is to make sure that the pastor -- and not the IRS -- decides what is said from the pulpit,” Erik Stanley, senior legal counsel for the group, told FoxNews.com. “It is a head-on constitutional challenge.”

Stanley said pastors attending the Oct. 7 “Pulpit Freedom Sunday” will “preach sermons that will talk about the candidates running for office” and then “make a specific recommendation.”

“We’re hoping the IRS will respond by doing what they have threatened,” he said. “We have to wait for it to be applied to a particular church or pastor so that we can challenge it in court. We don’t think it’s going to take long for a judge to strike this down as unconstitutional.”

An amendment was made to the IRS tax code in 1954, stating that tax-exempt organizations are “absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office.”

“Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise tax,” the IRS says in its online guide for churches and religious organizations seeking tax exemption.

Stanley and others, like San Diego pastor Jim Garlow, say the IRS regularly threatens churches that they will lose their tax-exempt status if they preach politics. But Stanley and Garlow claim the government never acts on the threat because it wants to avoid a court battle.

http://teapartyorg.ning.com/forum/topics/pastors-pledge-to-defy-irs-preach-politics-from-pulpit-ahead-of-e?commentId=4301673%3AComment%3A982576&xg_source=activity

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

"If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else!" - George Carlin

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I think tax free status should be removed from ALL churches.

If individual churches wish to regain it, they should be required to make a case on the grounds of the charitable work they do, like any other type of organisation.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

If individual churches wish to regain it, they should be required to make a case on the grounds of the charitable work they do, like any other type of organisation.

Is that what they do in Britain Clairwil? For real?  Or is this something you would like to see happen world wide?

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting Clairwil:

Is that what they do in Britain Clairwil? For real?  Or is this something you would like to see happen world wide?

No, they don't do it in Britain.  Britain has a state religion - the church of England (also known as "Anglican" or "Episcopalian").  So there's no separation of church and state over here.  The Queen is the head of the church.  We even still have blasphemy laws and bishops sitting in the house of lords.

It is just what I think ought to happen.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting Clairwil:

No, they don't do it in Britain.  Britain has a state religion - the church of England (also known as "Anglican" or "Episcopalian").  So there's no separation of church and state over here.  The Queen is the head of the church.  We even still have blasphemy laws and bishops sitting in the house of lords.

It is just what I think ought to happen.

Oh..I "see"..thanks.. Didn't realize that the queen was the head of the church..interesting..

broncfan
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

"If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else!" - George Carlin

Are you quoting George Carlin the comedian on politics/economics/religion?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not? Comedians have a way of putting things that cut directly to the core.

Why would a comedian be exempt from making political commentary? Good grief 99% of their material is political. 

I agree with Carlin, btw. I'm not an atheist, but his take on the corporate exploitation of this country is absolutely correct.

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

As an American, Clairwil, I emphatically agree.

Mega churches are a joke to religion and should be seen for what they are, God-based entertainment. Their pastors earn a LOT of money on the lecture circuit and with book sales. I have no problem with a religious leader publishing a book, btw, but if it's in conjunction with promoting a particular church or as a representative of that church I take issue with it.

Quoting Clairwil:

broncfan
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Why not? Comedians have a way of putting things that cut directly to the core.

Why would a comedian be exempt from making political commentary? Good grief 99% of their material is political. 

I agree with Carlin, btw. I'm not an atheist, but his take on the corporate exploitation of this country is absolutely correct.

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting _Kissy_:

She can quote anybody she wants to back up her point, I was just wondering if I was missing someone in politics or an economic scholar with the same name.  The only George Carlin I could remember is a comedian.  I was just asking.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this

They should.

Every Suday until the elctions.

The government has been attempting to tell  the Church what to do  plenty lately.

So that   "agreement"  is breached.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)