Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

They Are Coming for Your Birth Control: Anti-Choicers Discuss Making Birth Control Illegal

Posted by   + Show Post

They Are Coming for Your Birth Control: Anti-Choicers Discuss Making Birth Control Illegal

Author image

by Robin Marty, Senior Political Reporter, RH Reality Check

September 24, 2012 - 9:43am 

Photo: Lifesitenews.com.

Note: Think that anti-choice politicians and activists aren't trying to outlaw contraception?  Think again.  Follow along in an ongoing series that proves beyond a doubt that they really are coming for your birth control.

We have seen a rise in attempts to defund Planned Parenthood, eliminate family planning funding for low income women, and cut off access to contraception. But actually throw you in jail for getting birth control?  No one really wants to go there, do they?

Oh, wait, Judie Brown and her followers do.

Via Renew America:

Pope Paul VI aptly explained in Humanae Vitae that human sexual intercourse is essentially procreative and unitive. It is focused on life and and love. Being open to the possibility of new life and being open to more intimate unity between husband and wife is what human sex is really about. When it becomes merely a recreational activity, it is selfish love, not mutual love. It is certainly not sacrificial love if the end is merely physical pleasure for pleasure's sake. Pleasure is the happy by-product God added to the act of married conjugal love. Contraception often makes the sex partner an object rather than a person who is worthy of, and who deserves, sacrifice. The husband and wife sacrifice for one another. They offer themselves to each other. That means being open to the possible gift of new life from God and it means that the physical intimacy must be accompanied by emotional intimacy as well. The 'two become one flesh' is not just the act of coitus; it is the union of two human beings into one married couple.

Certainly, the government cannot outlaw every sinful or immoral act since it would be impossible to enforce, and human law is imperfect. Serious harm to the one and the many, however, warrants the inclusion of civil proscription. Just as we have a distinction between venial and mortal sins, there is a difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. We cannot compel by civil law people to act or do good, but we can and must outlaw sinful and evil acts which seriously threaten the person and/or the community. Danger to the institutions of marriage and family is no less serious than danger to one's life, health, property or reputation. Law protects the latter and should protect the former as well.

It's been 40 years now since contraception became legal for single people, and nearly 50 years since married couples were assured their rights to birth control, yet for some reason we are arguing about whether using the pill should be a misdemeanor or a felony? Sadly, even without laws making it illegal, some pharmacists and doctors are already making the choice for women. Due to increased "conscience clause" provisions, pharmacists in Indiana have been known to ask women if they are married before filling prescriptions, and receive no penalties if they choose to refuse to fill one for woman who is not, according to a state Planned Parenthood contact.

No wonder anti-choice advocates see making contraception illegal again as something attainable.

So, book'em, Danno. They may not be quite there yet, but they are definitely coming for your birth control.

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
broncfan
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting DarlaHood:

This is such b.s. propaganda.  It may be the goal of some pro-life extremists, but it certainly is not the mainstream pro-life position to outlaw birth control.  To try to make it seem like that would be the case if Obama loses, is ridiculous.

I personally support federal funds going to Planned Parenthood because it doesn't make economic sense to deny women in poverty birth control.  It would cost us more to pay for prenatal, postnatal, and baby care.  Birth control is MUCH cheaper --- IF PEOPLE WOULD ONLY USE IT RELIABLY,  CORRECTLY, AND CONSISTENTLY!  Yes pay for it.  I am pro-life in personal principle, but I do not want to outlaw abortion, nor make it harder to obtain.  I don't think it makes sense to try to legislate morality.  Women should continue to have a choice, but should take responsibility for making a choice to prevent unwanted pregnancy whenever possible instead using abortion as birth control.

I have never relied on Planned Parenthood, or any other government subsidized agency to obtain my birth control or to take care of my children.  I am responsible enough to take care of that myself, and feel that these things are my personal responsibility.

All this rhetoric about making birth control illegal is just a smoke screen.  War on women??  The war on women is being fought by a party who is using scare tactics regarding reproductive choice and control to take our focus off of the real issues.  If the economy were to do well, and education was in good shape, women would be empowered to be successful, and they would have access to health care that included birth control, and other procedures of choice. Instead they want us to believe that we can't do it, so we must need our government to fund and provide us what we need.  They expect us to be incapable of paying for birth control, and to be reliant on charity to have control of our reproductive rights.

Instead they want us to believe that we can't do it, so we must need our government to fund and provide us what we need. They expect us to be incapable of paying for birth control, and to be reliant on charity to have control of our reproductive rights.

This is so correct and so insulting to me. 

imamomzilla
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

WOOT!!

bow down

Quoting DarlaHood:

This is such b.s. propaganda.  It may be the goal of some pro-life extremists, but it certainly is not the mainstream pro-life position to outlaw birth control.  To try to make it seem like that would be the case if Obama loses, is ridiculous.

<SNIP>

All this rhetoric about making birth control illegal is just a smoke screen.  War on women??  The war on women is being fought by a party who is using scare tactics regarding reproductive choice and control to take our focus off of the real issues.  If the economy were to do well, and education was in good shape, women would be empowered to be successful, and they would have access to health care that included birth control, and other procedures of choice. Instead they want us to believe that we can't do it, so we must need our government to fund and provide us what we need.  They expect us to be incapable of paying for birth control, and to be reliant on charity to have control of our reproductive rights.

"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." - Mother Teresa

la_bella_vita
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM

The idea of making birth control illegal makes my stomach turn.

broncfan
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting la_bella_vita:

It is NEVER going to happen, do not let these people scare you into thinking it could happen.  You are smarter than that.

imamomzilla
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM
5 moms liked this

Please educate yourself and don't fall for the Dem's scare tactics.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Don't let them buy your vote with a condom. You deserve better!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Never going to happen.  Scare tactics people. 

goldielock37
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

California: No Doctor's License Needed To Do Abortions Now

September 24, 2012 By 8 Comments
California California: No Doctor's License Needed to Do Abortions Now

Photo credit: photologue_np (Creative Commons)

California Governor Jerry Brown has signed a bill into law that makes it so nurses in California can do abortions, even though they do not have a valid medical license certifying them as a physician.

Brown, a Democrat, visited a Los Angeles Planned Parenthood abortion clinic to sign another bill related to birth control and he also signed the abortion measure into law.

"At a time when some seek to turn back the clock and restrict women's health choices, California is expanding access to birth control and reaffirming every woman's basic Constitutional rights," Brown said.

Senate Bill 623, by Sen. Christine Kehoe, D-San Diego, was supported by Planned Parenthood and opposed by pro-life groups. Introduced by Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego), it extends a program run by the University of California, San Francisco, in which nurse practitioners, midwives and physicians assistants are trained to perform abortions.

The last days of the California legislative session saw abortion backers fight to expand abortion, while ignoring the severe economic crisis California continues to face. Lawmakers took an unrelated book and inserted language in it from a failed measure to allow nurses to do abortions.

Read More at lifenews.com. By Steven Ertelt.

Bypass the Mass Media:

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure, there are just as there are those nuts on the left who would like to be able to kill an unborn child up to the day before they are born.  They see it as attainable also. Of course neither is.  If you dont like it then you should be talking to the groups, advocating for the cause you desire and  not psting on CM to try and make one side look crazier than the other. All people want to do is complain and expect someone else to do the hard work. Too bad.

Jesi_79
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Do liberals really believe this bullshit?

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this

The idea of killing 8 month term babies turns my stomach but I know it'snot going to become law.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN