Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

O/T School Marching Band Brandishes Large Hammer and Sickle — Why?

Posted by   + Show Post

School Marching Band Brandishes Large Hammer and Sickle — Why?

Pennsylvania School Marching Band Commemorates Russian Revolution With Hammer and Sickle During Halftime

(Photo: New Oxford High School Band via Fox News)

A Pennsylvania school marching band is under fire for a performance reportedly commemorating the Russian Revolution, in which they waved a large hammer and sickle during halftime.  Photos show the students wearing military-style uniforms, with bright red belts.

Todd Starnes wrote on the Fox News Radio website:

“St. Petersburg: 1917” [was] the theme for the New Oxford High School Marching Band [performance]. Ironically, the school’s athletic teams are called the Colonials and their colors are red, white and blue. The band’s website features a picture of the group with students holding a hammer and sickle.

“There is no reason for Americans to celebrate the Russian revolution,” said one irate parent who alerted Fox News. “I am sure the millions who died under Communism would not see the joy of celebrating the Russian revolution by a school 10 miles from Gettysburg.”

The parent, who asked not to be identified, attended a football last Friday night with his children. He said he was shocked by what he saw.

“It was Glee meets the Russian Revolution,” he told Fox News. “I’m not kidding you. They had giant hammers and sickles and they were waving them around.”

“Who thought this was a good idea?”  [Emphasis added]

But the school’s superintendent Rebecca Harbaugh insists the performance was “not an endorsement of communism.”  According to the school official it was a “representation of the time period in history called St. Petersburg 1917,“ and she is ”very sorry“ it was interpreted as anything other than a ”history lesson.”

Paul Kengor, author of “The Communist,” remarked: “The Bolshevik Revolution launched a global Communist revolution that from 1917 through the 1990s was responsible for the deaths of over a hundred million people…What the Russian revolution unleashed was a nightmare – a historical human catastrophe.  This is something that should be condemned and not in any way commemorated or laughed at.”

One parent equated it to unexpectedly seeing your children waving swastikas during a halftime performance, noting that communism has killed more people than the Nazis.

Gerson Moreno-Riano, the dean of Regent University’s College of Arts & Sciences, added for Fox News: “To raise the emblems of the hammer and sickle – the emblems of so much violence, destruction and terror – is a lack of knowledge of history.”

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Replies (31-36):
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Quoting imamomzilla:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting imamomzilla:

Some stupid liberal teacher thought glorifying communism was a good idea. pfft! And we wonder why kids are failing.

Public schools are failing because the teachers are glorifying communism?

That's not what I wrote. Apparently they don't teach the importance of critical thinking.

Thanks for making my point for me. ;-)

I know it isn't what you said.

I was wondering if it was what you thought.

Thus the question mark.

VeronicaTex
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, Ednarooni,  I most certainly have had rich experiences because I got away from the small town I lived near.

I have been blessed to see beauty in many parts of the world.

Living in South American and in Europe showed me a lot about people:  their present generosity and in history, of certain individuals,  their selfishness:  of Hitler,  Lenin and many dictators in Bolivia.

I love to contribute because I have experienced the culture and certainly have seen the history of a country and how it has been influenced by people and certain events.

I believe the experience that inpacted me the most is being stationed in West Berlin, seeing the effects of takover:  events that divided East and West Berlin, and more horrifically,  the atrocity of Hitler in his insanity terminating millions of lives.

In addition to that I am part Polish, part German and Traditional Roman Catholic. 

That is my being-This  is what motivates me to write as I do.

Veronica

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I listened to it on my own in high school:  mainly Classical Music.  Tchaikovsky, composer of the Nutcracker Suite has always been one of my favorites.  After that Rimsky-Korsakov, composer of Scheherazade. 

I was a Russian Voice Intercept Operator in the Army Security Agency during the Cold War, stationed in West Berlin, Germany while the Wall was still up. (1974-1976).

While in the Defense Language Institute (1972-1973) studying Russian for one solid year, there was plenty of motivation for me to listen to Russian Classical and balalaika music.

I was also in the Russian Choir and was asked specifically by my instructors to accompany them as a dancer as they traveled to different high schools in the Monterrey, Calif area.

I still love to watch You Tube music:  Red Army Dancers and performers.

That being shared, I so agree with imamomzilla and Ednarooni.

Why use the Large Hammer and Sickle, that symbol, knowing full well that time period was so very bloody and Communists were taking over the country???

To use that symbol was in very poor taste,  in my opinion.

Veronica

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

The music of that era is BEAUTIFUL! Have you listened to any Russian composers from that time or Russian composers at all? AMAZING music.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Some stupid liberal teacher thought glorifying communism was a good idea. pfft! And we wonder why kids are failing.

What an interesting life you have led Veronica.. Seems like you have had many wonderful adventures.. : )

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you, Ednarooni,  I most certainly have had rich experiences because I got away from the small town I lived near.

I have been blessed to see beauty in many parts of the world.

Living in South American and in Europe showed me a lot about people:  their present generosity and in history, of certain individuals,  their selfishness:  of Hitler. Lenin and many dictators in Bolivia.

I love to contribute because I have experienced the culture and certainly have seen the history of a country and how it has been influenced by people and certain events.

I believe the experience that inpacted me the most is being stationed in West Berlin, seeing the effects of takover and even before that even that divided East and West Berlin,  the atrocity of Hitler in his insanity terminating millions of lives.

In addition to that I am part Polish, part German and Traditional Roman Catholic. 

That is my being-It is what motivates me to write as I do.

Veronica

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I listened to it on my own in high school:  mainly Classical Music.  Tchaikovsky, composer of the Nutcracker Suite has always been one of my favorites.  After that Rimsky-Korsakov, composer of Scheherazade. 

I was a Russian Voice Intercept Operator in the Army Security Agency during the Cold War, stationed in West Berlin, Germany while the Wall was still up. (1974-1976).

While in the Defense Language Institute (1972-1973) studying Russian for one solid year, there was plenty of motivation for me to listen to Russian Classical and balalaika music.

I was also in the Russian Choir and was asked specifically by my instructors to accompany them as a dancer as they traveled to different high schools in the Monterrey, Calif area.

Why use the Large Hammer and Sickle, that symbol, knowing full well that time period was so very bloody and Communists were taking over the country???

Veronica

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

The music of that era is BEAUTIFUL! Have you listened to any Russian composers from that time or Russian composers at all? AMAZING music.

Quoting imamomzilla:

What an interesting life you have led Veronica.. Seems like you have had many wonderful adventures.. : )

Nice!!!!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I can understand that some might feel like the props were over the line.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

HEHE... thinking about the year we did Purple Haze...what were we thinking?  Or the year that we did Jesus Christ Superstar and the board flipped out!!  HA!  Loved band!

VeronicaTex
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely-There are people who know the history of foreign nations or will take the time to research and are sensitive about these issues since they have to do with human life and the great LOSS of it, being intermingled with legitimate pieces of stupendous music. 

I won't go so far to say this band director is liberal, but once again, I would say not very prudent, even irresponsible as to where this symbol should remain, in the classroom, and not out on the field for entertainment or "for shock value" to the board or other seasoned adults who are wiser in what is appropriate.

Veronica

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I can understand that some might feel like the props were over the line.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN