Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.

Posted by   + Show Post

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (251-260):
Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like a healthy enough lunch to me.  I'm sick of the government interferring in people's personal lives.  If there is not a law against eating what the mother put into the lunch box, then nobody has the right to take it away.

Quoting jcribb16:

This was recently done to my granddaughter, age 7.  The lunch monitor didn't like what she had in her lunch box, took it, gave her a school lunch, and had them send a request for payment home to her parents.  She had a sandwich, baked chips, fruit, fruit roll-up, and juice in her lunch box.  

Quoting Sisteract:

I have no experience or factual knowledge of any lunch monitor depriving a student of their unhealthy lunch or forcing payment for a school lunch.

Do you have a link for districts where that policy is in place?

Now that is over the top, if it's true.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting Sisteract:

School lunches should be healthy and calorie appropriate, particularly when the district is making the menus and supplying the food.

Choices:

Starve.

Eat what is served to you.

Make your own lunch.

Take some responsibility for your own child and self (if age appropriate).

Can kids buy more than one lunch at schools?  I don't know.

Some schools check out what kids bring in for lunch.  Lunch meal monitors have been known to deem the contents of a brown bag lunch unhealthly and have forced students to buy a school lunch.  I would really like to see a lunch meal monitor take away a line backers lunch

akpapawifey
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM
My oldest she is 11 says the servings are too small. That on most days when she choose to buy she still hungry.. She thin as a rail 4'9" and about 70 lbs. she is in the 10% for her weight. At her middle school the do pe everyday and have free time in court yard after lunch where they can run walk or play ball. She rides her bike to school about a mile. When she takes half a lunch from home and tries to buy lunch at school mainly to get the veggie/fruit and milk they have told her she can't have 2 lunches...I got a letter begin of the year stating servings are based off age... But if they are on growing spent all kids eat like horse.
One of her classes lets them bring a snack if it healthy usually she takes nuts or homemade banana bread that has nut and cranberries in it.
It's not the government job to ensure out kids eat right... If they are a unhealthily weight bring in the parents. But if the kid(s) are active and health weight they should be eft alone... Deff don't need food monotrs or food police...
xxshelbyxxx
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:17 AM
This is insanity, I agree with YOU that kids are practically being starved! I don't see one thing on the menu posted by a mom above that I would've ate as a kid. I'm picky and was back then, though I still ate healthy I would've never eaten those options. This Is violating our rights honestly...its very very wrong. THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE WEAK SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER!
klav
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:18 AM

First of all I wish this was happening at my son's school. they have the most disgusting school lunches.. they have something called a walking taco which they  half empty a bag of doritos and then put the taco in the bag on top of the remaining chip.... gross and if you don't like that you can have a hot dog. So as to say my son get 's hot lunch once a month. I think your going to get a lot of complaints until kids are used to it or the pier pressure from the older kids is gone. I think they should allow the chocolate and strawberry milks don't take everything away at once make small changes and gradually do it not just one fell swoop. and last you can make food taste good it has been done it seems as if they may need new recipes and ways to make the food interesting for the kids.

LeeBee1976
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Mu son is 14 and plays for his freshman, jv and is a replacement for varsity team football. He works out 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Yes, its a rigorous schedule. He is extremely fit and thin but being a teenage boy and working off so many calories he's hungry. We've decided that taking lunch would be better except for the days he would like school lunch and even then I'm allowing him to purchase two meals. Yes, its pricey but I work in a school and I see the size lunches they provide. Small for an athlete. Let's face it most children aren't gaining weight off of school lunches. It's what they eat when they get home. (Sorry for any typos...I'm using my android)

Quoting _Kissy_:

Because kids are so use to the super sized portions. They have the option to take their lunch.

Our lunch menus gave also gotten smaller and healthier.

Their stomachs are stretched to the limit either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymother4
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM
The kids do have more fruit and vegetable choices, the schools can only offer so many calories per meal. Thats why the bigger kids ding get enough. The government is forcing the schools too serve smaller portions because of the calorie count and charging more for each meal
CinLu8570
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM
2 years ago my kids were in K & 2nd grades. Both complained that only the 3rd & 4th graders were allowed to get salads.

Last year, my baby started pre-k and brought home his half eaten salad. They changed the rules.

I now have a 4th, 2nd & kindergartener. None of them seem to get enough to eat. They eat their lunches, and I see that. I volunteer at the school A LOT... I started packing 3 - 5 snacks. A couple of yogurts, fruit, crackers & cheese, string cheese are some examples. This year they started serving free breakfast too. I feel I'm extremely lucky to live where I do!! You can't force kids to eat... Schools shouldn't be wasting people's hard earned money by throwing the child's food away because they deem it unhealthy. Obesity is a HUGE (no pun intended) problem in the US... We need a happy medium, but it's different for every kid, and I think it's up to the parent to determine that. Not the school who doesn't live with / raise the kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCakebread
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I know someone whose nice's lunch was taken away from her an thrown in the trash because they deemed it not balanced. If this were my child I would be more than a little angry. My daughter has Celiac and will never be able to eat a school lunch when she gets into school.

Quoting Sisteract:

I have no experience or factual knowledge of any lunch monitor depriving a student of their unhealthy lunch or forcing payment for a school lunch.

Do you have a link for districts where that policy is in place?

Now that is over the top, if it's true.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting Sisteract:

School lunches should be healthy and calorie appropriate, particularly when the district is making the menus and supplying the food.

Choices:

Starve.

Make your own lunch.

Some schools check out what kids bring in for lunch.  Lunch meal monitors have been known to deem the contents of a brown bag lunch unhealthly and have forced students to buy a school lunch.  I would really like to see a lunch meal monitor take away a line backers lunch

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/2277/9315/22779315.png[/img][/url]
  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url]

workingmommy87
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If anyone took awa my kids lunch I think I would be the one to kick their ass. thats crossing the line.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Because kids are so use to the super sized portions. They have the option to take their lunch.
Our lunch menus gave also gotten smaller and healthier.
Their stomachs are stretched to the limit either.

Some schools check out what kids bring in for lunch.  Lunch meal monitors have been known to deem the contents of a brown bag lunch unhealthly and have forced students to buy a school lunch.  I would really like to see a lunch meal monitor take away a line backers lunch. 

mollysmom328
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Why is it the school's responsibility to provide extra calories for specific kids?  Our athletes in WI are being told to bring their own extra food.  An extra lunch if they want or extra snacks for practice.

Quoting DSamuels:

And ATHLETES also only need this many? Like football players who might burn 3000 calories in practice? I mentioned athletes, not all kids.

Quoting Trueblu:

How many calories do you think they need? Kids from 11-18 need an average of 2500 calories a day. 3 meals, not including snacks, drinks, etc, would mean 833 calories each meal. 

Quoting DSamuels:

It sounds like they went into a "one size fits all" meal. There's a HUGE problem with that. Athletes need more than 850 calories for lunch. Smaller meals might be good for younger kids, they might not be enough food for older kids.

Let's face it, kids don't always eat what is good for them so now they will go hungry like you suggest. WTH good does that do?

Quoting Sisteract:

Choices:

Starve.

Make your own lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN