Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.

Posted by   + Show Post

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (261-270):
nb34
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Did you read the article? It does not say that they eat their lunch and then they are still hungry, it said they throw away their vegetables and then they complain that they are hungry. All I have to say to those kids is ""tough shit" you spoiled brats. Eat your lunch, including your vegetables, and quit whining."

I still pack my son's lunch. Even with the chagnes, I believe the food he takes from home is much much healthier.

nb34
by Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM

They'll get use to it. It is much better than sticking to an unhealthy diet that is going to drop their life expectancy by decades. They'll get use to it.

Quoting Screaminge:

I was a lunch mom for 8 classes of kindergarden and it was very sad . The changes do have skim chocolate milk as one choice - there were many kids that sat and just stared at their plates not touching more than the skim milk . Not a single child tried the squash and very few ate the raw cauliflower - they needed much promting and help with the chicken patty and the quartered oranges. It is most likely very different then they may eat at home and our town store does not even sell many of the items in the menu . I don't think it's bad but it's a major change for most kids.

I have two kids that would starve vs eat none preferred foods so they will be the few that still take bag lunch .

denise3680
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My kids eat school lunches, my middle daughter has no problem with the vegetables, but my oldest complains that she does not like the type of vegetables that are being served.  Mine have not noticed a change, but they went to a private school for 3 years in PR, so that school had a catering company that came in and cooked food everyday for their lunches.  The kids are just going to have to get used to eating healthy and if they are not getting enough they should bring some fruits or healthy snacks to eat to fill them up and not something that will bloat them.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM

If these kids are throwing their food away they have no one to blame but themselves  for being hungry. Obviously the parents have not done their job by teaching them not to be wasteful.

There are choices at our schools so the kids can decide what they want to take or not take. If they do not like Pairs then do not take them. And it also said they can have seconds so the problem is with the kids they have probably been egged on by ignorant parents who complain but the Government. How dare they want their kids to be more healthy.

BTW all first ladies have had special projects. Nancy Regan just say NO to Drugs,  I forger Barb Bush,  Hilary  health care for kids, Laura Bush reading comprehension. Get over the fact that Michelle Obama wants to share good food values with kids many inner city kids do not have access to good foods at home.

Here in Eugene the shools have partner with Farm to Table and it would be great is more cities would take that examples. Farmers are supplying local farm raised foods to schools. If more people started buying from local farms during the grow season we would all be better off.  I live in Oregon now but use to live in the  Mid West, where you did not have access to as fresh of foods as we do here all year round.

oferrek
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally pack a lunch every day for my children who require a high protein diet. However, if you aren't willing to pack a lunch for your child, I don't think you have a right to say much about the lunch options they serve in schools, even if you are paying for it. You would pay much more for the same thing anywhere else. I'm glad that they are finally trying bring healthier options into schools instead of the processed crap of my day. However, I do think that they should give children a snack mid-morning, or let them take a snack in so that their diet is less each meal, but eating more frequently. I think that would also help to fight fatique later in the day. One battle at a time, I guess.

Melanie420
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

they already switched to the "healthier" stuff at the school my mom works at, its not healthier, its processed crap, the only thing that may have been healthy was the whole grain pasta but they stopped serving it cause no one was eating it cause it tasted gross

Quoting paknari:

Yes that is why they have been trying to improve this. As they should. Some of these kids are only going to get that one healthy meal. And in the paper last week it stated the calorie counts and it was totally reasonable. I think high school was something like 650 calories.

Quoting Melanie420:

my mom works in the kitchens at a high school and that IS what they give them, processed crap, and the cheapest crap at that, and the meals are small depending on what you get, its even smaller in elementary school

Quoting paknari:

Lol I guess if they don't like it we should just start giving them processed crap. After all kids know what's best all the time.

Marcswife
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM
I pack lunches for my kids ( they would be served sushi at school on occasion and didn't like it). I also didn't like that I paid full price for their lunch and the lunch ladies wouldn't let them bring the food home but rather throw it in the trash. On days where their money ran out ( I put $100.00 on their cards each at the beginning of the year) they wouldn't call me and my kids would only get 2 dry slices of bread and a slice of craft singles cheese and a Dixie cup of water and I would be charged full price as if they ate a school lunch. Needless to say I now pack a well balanced lunch for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well my dd switched to a much larger school this year so on top of the basic school lunch, this school also offers pizza and a salad and sandwich bar daily. So she hasn't said anything about still being hungry. And my dd has always eaten fruit and veggies so there's really no change here.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

They where only really taking about one school that the student where protesting this. The story was about one school and again if they do not like the lunch the parent can supply them with a homemade lunch my oldest ate hot lunch in Grade school and middle school then chose to take his lunch my youngest has always prefered to take his lunch I make sure he get something good meat dairy and some fruit or veggy in there. 

I am pretty sure the kids that depend on school lunches for their one good meal of the day are NOT protesting anything the spoiled kids who think their parents have money to throw away are the ones that are doing this. If school lunch where you only good meal of the day you would make the most of it.

lnrmom
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

My girls are not forced to eat lunch at school, they can bring their own lunch. WHAT school district forces kids to eat school lunch?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)