Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.

Posted by   + Show Post

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (271-280):
melissah940
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Gettin sooo... sick of our school district on this issue. angryThe food tastes so bad,my kid won't eat it.  He would rather go hungry until he gets home.  I pack him good, healthy lunches instead and he's not eating enough to satisfy the lunch montior.   What's a parent to do?

CountryLayne
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

sarcasm Yes, you are so right... it is all a conspiracy. Heaven forbid that someone actually give a crap about our children and their health.

Give me a break.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

This is insanity, I agree with YOU that kids are practically being starved! I don't see one thing on the menu posted by a mom above that I would've ate as a kid. I'm picky and was back then, though I still ate healthy I would've never eaten those options. This Is violating our rights honestly...its very very wrong. THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE WEAK SO THEY CAN TAKE OVER!

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I agree.. except.. hummus and black bean salad? I wouldn't eat either of those. I love fruits and veggies and was never a fan of some of the crap they used to serve when I was in school (even at age 8 I knew chili-cheese fritos wasn't a good lunch and I never got it). I just feel like that kind of stuff is too extreme for some kids. Does anyone know what the actual new guidelines are? I had just planned on packing my daughter's lunches next year when she goes in to 1st grade, but I am curious.

Quoting paknari:

Lol I guess if they don't like it we should just start giving them processed crap. After all kids know what's best all the time.

paknari
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM
The sort here just stated the new calorie counts because each district does there own menu. My daughter is going to a snobby school so they will probably have stuff like hummus! Lol. I know the school my mother teaches in doesn't do anything like that it's more normal. I will post more if I can find anything but I think that districts have their own choices.

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

I agree.. except.. hummus and black bean salad? I wouldn't eat either of those. I love fruits and veggies and was never a fan of some of the crap they used to serve when I was in school (even at age 8 I knew chili-cheese fritos wasn't a good lunch and I never got it). I just feel like that kind of stuff is too extreme for some kids. Does anyone know what the actual new guidelines are? I had just planned on packing my daughter's lunches next year when she goes in to 1st grade, but I am curious.

Quoting paknari:

Lol I guess if they don't like it we should just start giving them processed crap. After all kids know what's best all the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceemuhreeashbee
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I'll start some searching as well :)

Quoting paknari:

The sort here just stated the new calorie counts because each district does there own menu. My daughter is going to a snobby school so they will probably have stuff like hummus! Lol. I know the school my mother teaches in doesn't do anything like that it's more normal. I will post more if I can find anything but I think that districts have their own choices.

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Quoting paknari:

NYChicago
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I don't know. Maybe giving them a little more of the fruits and veggies to fill them up. I agree with one post here, that kids are so used to supersize and don't realize what an actual portion is. On the other hand, if they are hungry, it's a huge distraction and they won't be able to learn. I think what needs to be done is letting the kids have 2 healthy snacks per day as well, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. That should keep their stomachs full enough. I always pack my daughters' lunches and they are always healthy. No sweets or juice boxes. They're perfectly happy with what they have as they love fruits and vegetables. But this is how they've eaten from the beginning so they're used to it.

ysmeine
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My son pays for his school lunch out of his own money that he works for. He wasn't excited by the changes, but he is making do. I actually haven't heard him complain since the beginning of the school year. I think the change is a good thing and he grudgingly agrees. The one thing he did complain about was the whole wheat crust on pizza. We eat only whole wheat bread but have never had it in pizza. 

kswyo
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

We were given a pamphlet explaining all the changes but I think I threw mine away. I think you can find most things here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Legislation/nutritionstandards.htm and here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Policy-Memos/2012/SP10-2012ar4.pdf 
My kids have not said that they don't get enough and looking through the lunch menu, it looks really yummy. The older kids also get more foods than the younger kids. I think that if the food is bad at a kid's school then it is the school doing it not the new guidelines. I haven't seen hummus or black bean salad on my kid's menu although if it were I wouldn't care because it's good to be exposed to different foods (and those are some that we wouldn't eat at home)

Quoting paknari:

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Quoting paknari:

paknari
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
From what I've read you are right. Thanks for the link! I an happy they are having healthier foods and from what I hear they are adding fruit and salad bars to all of the elementary schools here. I love that idea! The schoils develop their own menus so if there is an issue parents need to go to the schools.

Quoting kswyo:

We were given a pamphlet explaining all the changes but I think I threw mine away. I think you can find most things here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Legislation/nutritionstandards.htm and here http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/Policy-Memos/2012/SP10-2012ar4.pdf 
My kids have not said that they don't get enough and looking through the lunch menu, it looks really yummy. The older kids also get more foods than the younger kids. I think that if the food is bad at a kid's school then it is the school doing it not the new guidelines. I haven't seen hummus or black bean salad on my kid's menu although if it were I wouldn't care because it's good to be exposed to different foods (and those are some that we wouldn't eat at home)

Quoting paknari:

Quoting ceemuhreeashbee:

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicoleEW
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM

ok, coming from 2 points of view here, I am a lunch assistant AND a parent of 3 schoolaged girls. The school I work at, ewwww. I won't eat the crap I am now serving these kids. Imagine this for lunch: 2 soft taco shells with 1 TEASPOON of turkey burger taco meat. Black beans, no seasoning, from a can. 5 baby carrots. 1 milk carton. That is what was served to all 10 grades at my school. Pre-K thru 8th. I am not making this up. they called this taco day. No cheese, no lettuce, no taco sauce, nothing other than what I just listed. Does this sound healthy? I'm thinking not. As a parent, I can't afford to go out and buy lunch stuff for everyday. I would love to send leftovers from our healthy home dinners, but they aren't allowed to use a microwave to warm up anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN