Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.

Posted by   + Show Post

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (281-290):
HappyMom.2
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I send my daughter lunch, because even with the changes, it isn't very healthy.

I have a few thoughts on this. One being, not all people have trouble with gaining too much weight. My oldest daughter and I both have trouble keeping weight on and we need to eat a lot of calories and I do buy things like full fat organic yogurt for us. I hate not being able to find a full fat dairy product, or things that don't have nasty splenda in them. 

Second, it is very, very sad to me that the government needs to get involved in any of it. Schools should automatically want to feed kids healthy foods and not have to wait until they get a mandate from the government.  

AuntyEm774
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM
My kids love lunches at school, but if they were older they would be complaining about being hungry too. ( They are preschool, kindergarten, and grade 1.) Our school is extremely rural and small and they have always had awesome lunches. The new standards are a start, but I am not surprised kids are hungry. Fruits and veggies are great, but they don't keep you full as long as protein, especially when kids tend to eat small portions and use lots of energy. In some districts, ours included, taking a snack for on the bus is not an option (district policy due to allergy concerns prohibits all snacks on the buses.) If I was a student and still in sports, I'm not sure practice would accomplish a lot since a body doesn't function well without fuel--or learn well either. Instead of limiting meals so much, maybe activity such as gym should be stressed!
Anoronlight
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Not every child metabolizes food the same way. Yes exercise is HUGE, but if you exercise or play sports you NEED to increase your calorie intake if you don't you are asking for trouble. Kids who play sports should have a higher calorie in take because of how much and how fast they burn it off.

Then you have my kids and hubby who both have very high metabolizims, they can pack away more food and junk then anyone else I know and they do not gain because they burn it off so fast.

This is a "one size fits all" fix and the fix does NOT all sizes. Considerations should taken into account for those kids who need those extra calories compared to those who do not. This is a great idea but its one that will back fire. With out right amount of calorie intake kids health with start to fall especially for those who play sports. And taking a lunch isn't an option for a lot of us anymore.

I know two schools that have stated what is considered okay and what isn't and that those bringing anything not appropriate will loose their meals and be made to charge lunch and we the parents have to pick up the tabs. Snacks are included in this and one school is my daughters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwall
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I'd send lunch with my kids...it's probably not cool, but it'd sure be healthy...and more calories.

LeiOKeOla
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Now this , I agree with.:-)
Quoting bluerooffarm:

My kids are now homeschooled, but they did not have foods that they would eat offered at the school.  My boys barely eat meat and love their veggies and fruits, so it sounds like they may actually have options in the school now.  But with the way the other kids teased my oldest, I can see why they would be hungry the rest of the day.  It sounds like they needed to slowly incorporate more healthful food rather than just snap to a new diet!  Why couldn't they replace one or two unhealthy options with healthy ones until they had changed it all over?  Just replace those heavy syrup peaches with some real whole fruit then change those mushy canned corn dishes with some colorful veggies the next month?  Why is it always all or nothing?  SMH

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Who are these fat American kids anyway?

I've seen some in my daughter's school system. Same amount of fat kids that there were when I went to school.

Parents know that the world is made up of fat people, skinny people, and just regular weighted people, right? Some people are tall and some are very short too. Some wear glasses. Some have braces.

This is not an epidemic.

Quoting tnmomofive:

There are plenty of reasons that I dislike the Obamas but honestly this is not one of them.I may not agree with government deciding what kids consume vs their parents..but it is a commendable act (imo) from MO.There are too many fat American kids today WAY too many..at least she is attempting to try and help.

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Do you REALLY think obama, when he's flying around in his presidential helicopter, is caring about the children of the United States? I don't think he cares. I think he appointed people to his cabinet from the federal reserve because he's "in" with all those money people who manipulate our economy intentionally to gain from it, knowing that working class Americans are hurting. I think this healthy food thing is as big a scam as Maurice Strong's environmental movement and Al Gore's global warming, commensurate with obama's carbon tax on vehicle registration.

He's no different than Bush, Bush the Younger, and Clinton. We are piffle to them. It's a joke. obama had one thing different than all them, the cult of personality.

And, he's no boss. He's got the feds and goldman sachs over his head.

Look, I thnk offering different food choices is great. But school food will always be exactly what it always has been : too processed, inorganic, bland, and low quality.

Quoting MahgonayMom:

Quoting buttersworth:

yeah, we should tackle him for that !

first off, it's MY job as a parent to ensure my children are healthy - not the govt

second, obama is not a nutritionist, he's a SMOKING, lying politician

third, the GMOs, growth hormones and antibiotics in our foods are making kids over weight if anything

this whole childhood obesity thing is a scam

Quoting PrincessMarina:

Oh and btw lets attack Obama for... OMG.... For.....

TRYING TO TACKLE CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND MAKE OUR KIDS HEALTHIER AND LIVE LONGER!

HOW FRIGGIN DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eye rolling

1) It's not a lunch you are providing. It's one being cooked by paid government workers, which gives you an option to not purchase it. It would be poor judgement on their part NOT to provide healthy choices. Esp. when Americans have SUED fast food places.

2)While he's not a Nutritionist, he is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, the boss of them all. Each school (at least in GA) has a nutritionist attached to plan menues.

3) While i myself would not rule that out as A factor, you can't be sure it's the entire cause. Look at the location of most the red states on the map posted - SOUTHERN. This is a place that grows most of the food for the entire united states and ship it up North. So then the question would be why are little to no states up North red. It's more than the chemicals. it's the higher portion size and the way we love our fried foods.

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Yes, that's an excellent question. Why does the govt have to get involved in it?

Money, and micromanagement.

Quoting HappyMom.2:

I send my daughter lunch, because even with the changes, it isn't very healthy.

I have a few thoughts on this. One being, not all people have trouble with gaining too much weight. My oldest daughter and I both have trouble keeping weight on and we need to eat a lot of calories and I do buy things like full fat organic yogurt for us. I hate not being able to find a full fat dairy product, or things that don't have nasty splenda in them. 

Second, it is very, very sad to me that the government needs to get involved in any of it. Schools should automatically want to feed kids healthy foods and not have to wait until they get a mandate from the government.  

Mikeswifee85
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I dont know how I would feel about this if they changed it at my daughters school. Thankfully, there lunch always has veggies and or fruit served with it. They also send home a list of what they will serve for breakfest and lunch every month which is awesome. Breakfest at my daughters school is free which also makes things easy for the parents who dont have time. I know my daughter eats well at school because if she dosent' like either of the options they serve for lunch they always have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Im not to worried my daughter isnt to picky and eats well. I think they should pay attention to what kids eat at school just dont over do it.

rosiemendo
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Coincidentally, I just heard about this problem on my local news yesterday.  I don't have enough information to make a knowledgeable, impartial judgement call.  I am also trying to weigh all the information about the candidates and their policies to make an informative choice for President.  Medical policies each candidate supports seems to be forefront in my mind at the moment.  I'm a registered Democrat, but I do not vote on strict party lines.  I have a friend who visited with her sister and brother-in-law recently.  Her brother-in-law, whom we both like and respect, works for the government and what he had to say about Obamacare was scary and left us both wondering what to do.  The news about the school lunches re-affirmed his opinions and our concerns; all I could think of is how the government is becoming more and more involved in our personal lives and decisions.  I'm a retired Teaching Assistant with many friends still in our public school system and lately it sounds like teachers and schools are expected to do everything for their students, but put them to bed!  I raised 4 children responsibly and they did not buy school lunches.  Despite what they learned at home or at school, they developed their own eating habits as they grew into adults.  I am all in favor of programs promoting good healthy habits, but I do not support forcing children to buy or eat what they do not like nor want.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)