Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Study shows women use contraception to control lives, complete education and achieve goals

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 46 Replies

A recent study by the reproductive health and rights group the Guttmacher Institute confirms what many people have long known and suspected, that access to contraception helps women better care for themselves and their families, complete their education and achieve economic security and stability.

The study, titled “Reasons for Using Contraception: Perspectives of U.S. Women Seeking Care at Specialized Family Planning Clinics,” was authored by the Guttmacher Institute’s Jennifer Frost and Laura Lindberg, who, realizing that no comprehensive survey had been done of the reasons women use contraception, “surveyed 2,094 women receiving services at 22 family planning clinics nationwide.”

“Women value the ability to plan their childbearing, and view doing so as critical to being able to achieve their life goals,” wrote Lindberg.  ”They need continued access to a wide range of contraceptives so they can plan their families and determine when they are ready to have children.”

According to the study, 63 percent of women surveyed said that contraceptives have a significant impact on their lives, and allow them to take better care of themselves and their families.  Fifty-six percent said that being able to control their reproductive lives makes them better able to support themselves, while 51 percent said that contraception was important to helping them complete their education and 50 percent of the women said that access had made it easier for them to look for and find a job.

Resonating throughout the study is the idea that birth control is important to women economically.  Sixty-five percent of the women surveyed answered that they use contraception because they can’t afford the expenses incurred by pregnancy and child-rearing.  Among women with children, nearly all reported that their desire to properly care for the children they have is paramount in their decision to use birth control.  Nearly one in four of the women surveyed have partners who are unemployed, leading to additional doubts about the financial wisdom of becoming a mother.

Many women responded that birth control is essential to them in making responsible choices about when to have a family.  Some 63 percent said that they are using contraception because they don’t feel ready to have a child, 60 percent said that they’re using it because it gives them more control over the direction of their lives and another 60 percent answered that they are waiting to have children until their lives are more stable.

According to the study, “These findings point to the critical role of contraception in the lives of women and their families, and further documents the value of ensuring women’s continued and increased access to a full range of contraceptive services and methods.”

You can read the full report here. (.pdf)

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM
4 moms liked this

You mean sluts. Sluts use contraception to control lives, complete education and achieve goals.

rnchelle93
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This is news? I don't know a one of my friends who ISN'T on birth control, for just those reasons. All of the girls in my nursing class are on birth control, because I'm the only single girl there, and they all want to finish their education before having more kids. One doesn't want more and is just waiting until she meets the requirements to have her tubes tied. My roommate is on birth control for that reason, though for her, it didn't work, she's pregnant, but she was on it for 6 years so that she could graduate high school, and now college. After this baby is born, I'll be on it, because I refuse to have another child. I can't afford the one I'm pregnant with now, but since abstinence didn't work for me the way it should, I am going to cover all my bases and get on birth control until I can have my tubes tied, because one is more than enough. I honestly don't get the point of having done the study. Birth control is used to give women control over when they have children, sometimes for medical reasons, but yeah, none of that is news. 

Darqdaughter
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

So married women are sluts too? I know plenty of Married women that are on birth control so they can keep their job and choose when they are ready to have a baby...or are they only allowed to have sex with their husbands when they intend to get pregnant and reproduce?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You mean sluts. Sluts use contraception to control lives, complete education and achieve goals.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry I was joking. 

Quoting Darqdaughter:

So married women are sluts too? I know plenty of Married women that are on birth control so they can keep their job and choose when they are ready to have a baby...or are they only allowed to have sex with their husbands when they intend to get pregnant and reproduce?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Darqdaughter
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I am sorry, I am kind of on edge today I ended up reading this post right after I was harassed at plan parent hood for picking up birth control. I shouldn't have taken it out on you.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I'm sorry I was joking. 

Quoting Darqdaughter:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

imamomzilla
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM

And this is election-related, how?

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course that's why some women use birth control.  I don't believe anyone in the election race would argue that fact.  And no one is trying to take away that birth control.  It would serve no purpose.  

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

Because it links the main issue of the election -- the economy -- with birth control, which others have stated is not an economic issue.  This suggests that that's not true.  They are related.

imamomzilla
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder how many women in the Unemployment line use an IUD...?

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Because it links the main issue of the election -- the economy -- with birth control, which others have stated is not an economic issue.  This suggests that that's not true.  They are related.

Don't let them buy your vote with a condom. You deserve better!

rachelrothchild
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I'm sure they do.  I don't need that much control over my life at this point, and I certainly don't think contraception plays a "critical role" in my life/family.  Of course, they didn't survey me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN