Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

I'll step back on foreign policy: The president's foreign policy, in my opinion, is formed in part by a perception that he has that his magnetism and his charm and his persuasiveness is so compelling that he can sit down with people like Putin, Chávez, and Ahmadinejad. And that they'll find we're such wonderful people that they'll go on with us. And they'll stop doing bad things. And it's an extraordinarily naive perception, and it has led to huge errors in North Korea, in Iraq, obviously in Iran, in Egypt, around the world. My own view is that that the centerpiece of American foreign policy has to be strength. Everything I do will be calculated to increasing America's strength. When you stand by your allies, you increase your strength. When you attack your allies, you become weaker. When you stand by your principles, you get stronger. When you have a big military—that's bigger than anyone else's—you're stronger. [Unintelligible.] When you have a strong economy, you build America's strength. For me, everything is about strength and communicating to people what is and is not acceptable. It's speaking softly but carrying a very, very, very big stick. And this president instead speaks loudly and carries a tiny stick. And that is, you know, that's not the right course for a foreign policy. I saw Dr. Kissinger in New York—you're not eating! [Audience laughs.]

Audience member: I'm mesmerized! [unintelligible]

Romney: He's bored to tears. [Audience laughs.] I saw Dr. Kissinger; I said to him, "How are we perceived around the world?" And he said, "One word: VEAK!" [Audience laughs.] We are weak, and that's how this president is perceived, by our friends and, unfortunately, by our foes. And it's no wonder that people like Kim Jong Un, the new leader of North Korea, announces a long-range missile test only a week after he said he wouldn't. Because, it's like, what's this president going to do about it? If you can't act, why, don't threaten. [To another audience member with a question] Please.

Audience member: [Asks about Iraq. (Garbled.)]

Romney: I'm just gonna taste this by the way. I just wanna show you how it's done: You take this in your fork…[Audience laughs.]…you put it in…That's good, that's good. [To audience member]: Please, go ahead.

Audience member: If you get the call as president, and you had hostages…Ronald Reagan was able to make a statement, even before he became, was actually sworn in—

Romney: Yeah—

Audience member: the hostages were released—

Romney: on the day of his inauguration, yeah.

Audience member: So my question is, really, how can you sort of duplicate that scenario?

Romney: Ohhhh. [A few chuckles in audience.] I'm gonna ask you, how do I duplicate that scenario.

Audience member: I think that had to do with the fact that the Iranians perceived Reagan would do something to really get them out. In other words [unintelligible]…and that's why I'm suggesting that something that you say over the next few months gets the Iranians to understand that their pursuit of the bomb is something that you would predict and I think that's something that could possibly resonate very well with American Republican voters.

Romney: I appreciate the idea. I can't—one of the other things that's frustrating to me is that at a typical day like this, when I do three or four events like this, the number of foreign policy questions that I get are between zero and one. And the American people are not concentrated at all on China, on Russia, Iran, Iraq. This president's failure to put in place a status forces agreement allowing 10-20,000 troops to stay in Iraq? Unthinkable! And yet, in that election, in the Jimmy Carter election, the fact that we have hostages in Iran, I mean, that was all we talked about. And we had the two helicopters crash in the desert, I mean that's—that was—that was the focus, and so him solving that made all the difference in the world. I'm afraid today if you said, "We got Iran to agree to stand down a nuclear weapon," they'd go hold on. It's really a, but…by the way, if something of that nature presents itself, I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.

(source)

Do you think his proposed foreign policy doctrine will work?

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Replies (21-29):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Reagan wasn't the only one. Clinton helped in that area...

Quoting _Kissy_:

We don't need another cowboy in the white house. Reagan turned alqaeda and Taliban into who they were on 9/11 and gwb gave them the steroids to make them worse. I can only imagine what Romney would do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM
You beat me to it...

Quoting jcrew6:

You FAILED to include Bill Clinton's foreign policy.

Narrow minded simplicity lacks logic.

Quoting _Kissy_:

We don't need another cowboy in the white house. Reagan turned alqaeda and Taliban into who they were on 9/11 and gwb gave them the steroids to make them worse. I can only imagine what Romney would do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM

There is strength in diplomacy as well.  I don't think that what he said here would work alone.  The world was a very different place in 1979-1980.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
So do we try diplomacy right up until they send a nuke Israels way and just say, Sorry guys, we really did try to talk nicely to them to get them to talk.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I agree with what you say...

My husband is a Marine and I want a President who tries diplomat before sending my husband off to war.

Quoting rccmom:

From what I have seen and heard of Romney, I do not agree with his foreign policy. Strength is important, but so is diplomacy. We owe it to all our military men and women to try diplomacy first, and do it well and tactfully. As a last resort we use our military. I don't hear enough from Romney to see if he understands diplomacy, and his foreign policy examples so far have not been tactful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

That is not a policy, that was a jumbled mess of I have not a clue what am doing but if I act real tough and bully others then maybe they will not realize I have my head stuck up my ass:/ 

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

This is another deflection. Obama is in over his head and everyone know it.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Has that at any point in time been Obama's policy? No. He has said that he is committed to not allowing Iran to develop a nuclear bomb, and is committed to keeping Israel safe. Now, unless you have a security clearance and the need to know that allows you in on the top level security meetings on what to do if and when diplomacy fails, you really don't know what Obama plans. I am pretty sure he has a handle on it.

Quoting Carpy:

So do we try diplomacy right up until they send a nuke Israels way and just say, Sorry guys, we really did try to talk nicely to them to get them to talk.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

My husband is a Marine and I want a President who tries diplomat before sending my husband off to war.

Quoting rccmom:

From what I have seen and heard of Romney, I do not agree with his foreign policy. Strength is important, but so is diplomacy. We owe it to all our military men and women to try diplomacy first, and do it well and tactfully. As a last resort we use our military. I don't hear enough from Romney to see if he understands diplomacy, and his foreign policy examples so far have not been tactful.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Israel is a whole other issue and we will NOT agree so I'll just say that to start with.

For OUR country's interests and safety we try diplomacy. We work together with foreign countries and leaders to come to resolutions. For other countries, we have NO buisness involving ourselves in their matters. We are not the Big Brother Protector of the World and we shouldn't act like it.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting rccmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The fear of deadly force is what keeps every country in the world from ever even contemplating invading Switzerland.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

What foreign policy doctrine?

It appears, from the transcript above, to be primarily to rely upon the threat of force, to get people America disagrees with to toe America's line.

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)