Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Now..this is what I call a "war" on women.

Posted by   + Show Post

World

Will New ‘Democratic’ Egyptian Constitution Allow 9-Year-Old Girls to Marry?

Egyptian Cleric Yassir Barhami Says 9 Year Old Girls Can Marry | Constitution

Egypt's Yassir Barhami says 9-year-old girls should be permitted to marry. (Photo via BikyaMasr)

An ultraconservative Egyptian cleric– who is part of the committee drafting Egypt’s new constitution– is suggesting the country drastically lower the age limit at which girls can marry, Egyptian media is reporting.

According to BikyaMasr, cleric Yassir Barhami cited the Koran in stating that once a girl begins menstruating, usually around 14-years-old, she should begin having children.

Therefore, he reportedly explained, “it is permissible for the girl at the age of 9 or 10 to marry.”

United Press international adds:

Barhami is a Salafist, a member of the ultra-conservative wing of Islam.

[...]

Manal al-Taibi, who resigned from the constituent assembly to protest calls for a lower marriage age, said Barhami and his allies want to legalize child rape. [Emphasis added]

It should be noted that Barhami‘s position doesn’t seem to be popular within the assembly, but as moderates resign or are pressured to leave, there are fewer voices to balance the fanatical Salafists.

Reuters related Thursday:

A group of high profile liberal and leftwing politicians in Egypt has said it will quit the assembly charged with drafting the country’s new constitution within a week unless its concerns over Islamist-influenced content in the document are addressed.

The constitution – which is being drawn up by a 100-member assembly – is meant to be the centerpiece of a new democratic Egypt after veteran autocrat Hosni Mubarak was ousted last year and its successful drafting is being seen as a litmus test for its new Islamist rulers including President Mohamed Mursi. [Emphasis added]

Ahmed al-Boraie, a former labor minister, summarized his complaints, commenting: “This is a constitution that brings Egypt backwards not forward.”

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quoting PortiaRose:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha! I pictured some 10 year old in a tie, and a 9 yr old burping a baby and them arguing about money.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Give it time, it'll be like that here, 9 yrs old brides with babies and 10 yr boys in sweat shops.

Its coming.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Like the article said, that's what happens when the moderates are forced out and the fanatical extremists take over...so sad...

I saw a pregnant 10 year old in an unwed mothers home..it's not something I will likely forget..nor will she.

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM
http://usconstitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/dhimmitude-part-of-obamacare-bill-what-does-it-mean/
PortiaRose
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you for that, Buzz Killington.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting PortiaRose:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha! I pictured some 10 year old in a tie, and a 9 yr old burping a baby and them arguing about money.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Give it time, it'll be like that here, 9 yrs old brides with babies and 10 yr boys in sweat shops.

Its coming.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Like the article said, that's what happens when the moderates are forced out and the fanatical extremists take over...so sad...

I saw a pregnant 10 year old in an unwed mothers home..it's not something I will likely forget..nor will she.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh please. Tell me how close we are to Sharia Law, tin foil hat one.

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting gsprofval:

YIKES!!! That would be terrible for little girls who have no idea what sex even is let alone possibly having a child at age 9. Hope it doesn't go through.

Strange isn't it how  some are against Christianity but they seem to be okay with Sharia and this mentality..

Yes, it is strange. The morons on the left think their o-so-worshipped one will take care of them.  Little do they know how close the U.S. is to sharia law with obeyme in charge.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Quoting PortiaRose:

Thank you for that, Buzz Killington.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Its coming.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Dear out of touch,

You're SO welcome..

Your's truly

Buzz Killer

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

This.

However, it sounds as if he won't be able to pass this crazy stuff.

Quoting LucyMom08:

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Can someone make this clicky?

Quoting ambertreas76:

http://usconstitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/dhimmitude-part-of-obamacare-bill-what-does-it-mean/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM
o.O

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting gsprofval:

YIKES!!! That would be terrible for little girls who have no idea what sex even is let alone possibly having a child at age 9. Hope it doesn't go through.

Strange isn't it how  some are against Christianity but they seem to be okay with Sharia and this mentality..

Yes, it is strange. The morons on the left think their o-so-worshipped one will take care of them.  Little do they know how close the U.S. is to sharia law with obeyme in charge.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertreas76
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Sorry about that. Google chrome won't do the clicky thing for whatever reason.
Quoting LucyMom08:

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oh boy....

Basically, it's bullshit that took 2.5 seconds to debunk.  One of those spam-email kind of things.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Can someone make this clicky?

Quoting ambertreas76:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN