Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Now..this is what I call a "war" on women.

Posted by   + Show Post

World

Will New ‘Democratic’ Egyptian Constitution Allow 9-Year-Old Girls to Marry?

Egyptian Cleric Yassir Barhami Says 9 Year Old Girls Can Marry | Constitution

Egypt's Yassir Barhami says 9-year-old girls should be permitted to marry. (Photo via BikyaMasr)

An ultraconservative Egyptian cleric– who is part of the committee drafting Egypt’s new constitution– is suggesting the country drastically lower the age limit at which girls can marry, Egyptian media is reporting.

According to BikyaMasr, cleric Yassir Barhami cited the Koran in stating that once a girl begins menstruating, usually around 14-years-old, she should begin having children.

Therefore, he reportedly explained, “it is permissible for the girl at the age of 9 or 10 to marry.”

United Press international adds:

Barhami is a Salafist, a member of the ultra-conservative wing of Islam.

[...]

Manal al-Taibi, who resigned from the constituent assembly to protest calls for a lower marriage age, said Barhami and his allies want to legalize child rape. [Emphasis added]

It should be noted that Barhami‘s position doesn’t seem to be popular within the assembly, but as moderates resign or are pressured to leave, there are fewer voices to balance the fanatical Salafists.

Reuters related Thursday:

A group of high profile liberal and leftwing politicians in Egypt has said it will quit the assembly charged with drafting the country’s new constitution within a week unless its concerns over Islamist-influenced content in the document are addressed.

The constitution – which is being drawn up by a 100-member assembly – is meant to be the centerpiece of a new democratic Egypt after veteran autocrat Hosni Mubarak was ousted last year and its successful drafting is being seen as a litmus test for its new Islamist rulers including President Mohamed Mursi. [Emphasis added]

Ahmed al-Boraie, a former labor minister, summarized his complaints, commenting: “This is a constitution that brings Egypt backwards not forward.”

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Replies (51-60):
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It does happen in our own country.

The FLDS.

Quoting Lacey14:

I  just wanted to follow up on my own post, by saying I do believe this article by the OP is important.  We can't simply dismiss any of this type of behavior, and say it could never happen in our own country.  That's why we have to watch and listen carefully, and never be too complacent.

Quoting Lacey14:

Start them early so they will be more like liberal democrats?  Republicans aren't the ones asking for birth control for school kids.  Replublicans aren't the ones saying, go ahead and have sex when you are a kid, because you can always take the morning after pill from the school nurse.  If that doesn't work, you can just get rid of the thing.

Republican mom's want their children to abstain from sex until they are mature enough to handle it.  Republican mom's are conservative and that includes raising their children in a more safe environment, and protecting them from the evil ways of the world.

What does a child marrying at age 9, have anything to do with voting, angy or otherwise?

Quoting _Kissy_:

Got to start them early or else they wont turn into angry Republican voters

Quoting PortiaRose:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha! I pictured some 10 year old in a tie, and a 9 yr old burping a baby and them arguing about money.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Give it time, it'll be like that here, 9 yrs old brides with babies and 10 yr boys in sweat shops.

Its coming.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Like the article said, that's what happens when the moderates are forced out and the fanatical extremists take over...so sad...

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Care to back up your claim?

I won't hold my breath.

Quoting ambertreas76:

The US is already implementing sharia law in Obamacare. ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT!

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM

A WordPress blog is not a reliable source. 

Try harder.

Quoting ambertreas76:

http://usconstitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/dhimmitude-part-of-obamacare-bill-what-does-it-mean/

ambertreas76
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Facts are facts. Look it up. It's all right there all over the internet. One thing I do see is that with alot of people it doesn't matter what the facts are.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Try harder.

Quoting ambertreas76:

http://usconstitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/dhimmitude-part-of-obamacare-bill-what-does-it-mean/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Those aren't facts. Your "facts" have been debunked by Snopes--an unbiased apolitical source. But, you chose to ignore that link. 

Quoting ambertreas76:

Facts are facts. Look it up. It's all right there all over the internet. One thing I do see is that with alot of people it doesn't matter what the facts are.
^^Look in the mirror! lol
Quoting AdellesMom:

Try harder.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Redwall
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I find it totally disgusting...but it's their country.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I thought this was thoroughly rebutted the other day, so I'm wondering why you are still posting it.

Your source is incorrect - very incorrect.  You can read the AHA for yourself to see so.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Try harder.

Quoting ambertreas76:

sarahwhalen
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

this worries me, thank god we live in America and we are FREE and proud of it!!!!

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Are you trying to say the religious exemption is sharia law?

Quoting ambertreas76:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Try harder.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how those are solely Republican values?

Quoting Lacey14:

I  just wanted to follow up on my own post, by saying I do believe this article by the OP is important.  We can't simply dismiss any of this type of behavior, and say it could never happen in our own country.  That's why we have to watch and listen carefully, and never be too complacent.

Quoting Lacey14:

Start them early so they will be more like liberal democrats?  Republicans aren't the ones asking for birth control for school kids.  Replublicans aren't the ones saying, go ahead and have sex when you are a kid, because you can always take the morning after pill from the school nurse.  If that doesn't work, you can just get rid of the thing.

Republican mom's want their children to abstain from sex until they are mature enough to handle it.  Republican mom's are conservative and that includes raising their children in a more safe environment, and protecting them from the evil ways of the world.

What does a child marrying at age 9, have anything to do with voting, angy or otherwise?

Quoting _Kissy_:

Got to start them early or else they wont turn into angry Republican voters

Quoting PortiaRose:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha! I pictured some 10 year old in a tie, and a 9 yr old burping a baby and them arguing about money.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Give it time, it'll be like that here, 9 yrs old brides with babies and 10 yr boys in sweat shops.

Its coming.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Like the article said, that's what happens when the moderates are forced out and the fanatical extremists take over...so sad...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)