Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2012 Presidential Debate Oct. 3: Watch It and Discuss the Issues with Us! (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney

The First Presidential Debate was Wednesday, October 3rd at 9 p.m. ET in Denver, Colorado where the candidates focused on Domestic Policy.

patriotic                

Watch it and share your thoughts!

The debate aired live on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, all cable news channels including CNN, Fox News and MSNBC and via live stream at: 2012PresidentialElectionNews.com

votingReply here to tell us what you like about the candidates, what you don’t like, what you think about their stances on the issues, and whatever comes to mind!

And don't miss out on your chance to WIN a $25 gift card:
GIVEAWAY and POLL: Obama or Romney? Win a $25 gift card!!

Please join us again next week, October 11th at 9pm ET, for another great discussion as we watch the Vice Presidential debate on foreign and domestic policy, aired on the same networks and online.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Replies (931-940):
angduse1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I don't think we should do it for either of them.. Let them worry about their own campaign.....I am just watching for the facts.. I have found NONE>>>

Quoting Heatherlox:

who in here is paid to talk up the Obama campaign like mentioned earlier (i think in this post but it may have been elsewhere)?  Someone admitted that Cafemom allows this for the Obama administration

Why isn't Cafemom doing the same with Romney campaign? or are they?

angduse1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Sorry Bookwormy did not mean to quote you like this.. Messed up.. Never said I was perfect.. LOL.. Also I might add.. my mistake. the lady who commented might actually still have her Grandma still alive..So I guess I assumed a bit myself..I am not trying to insult anyone here.. Just stating a point.. on Wisdom. Wisdom comes with age.. and our president is still pretty young considering.... I having nothing against his color or his Age.. he is very young still even to me.. I have seen and been through things that even he has not.... So yes I think he has much to learn.. Nothing else... But I think we all have much to learn.. My Grandmother is Dead.. she would if she could admit that she still had much to learn as well.. Even at age 89.. She would say she does not know everything and does not wish to know everything. Do I consider her wise beyond her years.. yes I do.. ANd nothing the other poster puts down will change that for me or her friends.. And I will vote for the other guy next time

Obama as far as I am concerned Had his Chance... That is all I have to say about that

Quoting Bookwormy:

Umm...not me who wrote that response. I was questioning it myself.

Quoting angduse1:

You silly person... You know nothing of my Grandma.. you don't know if she was racist or anything of the sort.. We actually are a state That helped the slaves escape (ever heard of the underground Railroad)... We have many friends that are black... and quite a few of them would like to have a word with you for disgracing my Grandmothers name if they ever read this..But wait I did not even give you her name..so I guess that also means nothing in the big scale of things..sidesplittinglaughter...I was commenting on Age and wisdom in general.. they go hand in hand...You my friend have neither.. this I can tell. Otherwise you would have watched your tongue.. I would never insult your Grandmother in this way.. and I am sure she is looking down on you right now and wondering Why you did such a thing.. Have a good night.... and grow up.

Quoting Bookwormy:

You may know the poster better that I, but why are you assuming southern racist bigotry. Assuming is a cognitive distortion. You may make a tush out of both of you.

Quoting JonJon:

With all due respect to your grandma she became of voting age in 1944 when she'd have expected nothing of black men but to shine her shoes or sweep up after her and why not?  The military, during WWII, didn't want black men as anything but cooks and latrine diggers. 

Making it to age 89 doesn't mean she was a social issues genius or expert in politics or right about the President.  Many stupid and bigoted people live to ripe old ages.  It seems she passed her bigotry to you.  Do you live in the deep south?

Quoting angduse1:

Yes we all have lots to learn including Obama...My 89 year old Grandma told me he would do great damage to this world especially the poor,,.. Right before she died of Cancer.. I listen to my elders.. She did not make it to age 89 for nothing.

I feel Obama is still a baby and has much to learn compared to my Grandmother..... And she was right.

Quoting JonJon:

Adults who believe they have nothing more to learn because they are no longer kids are idiots.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Or the people who have to be told over and over are idiots. Adults shouldn't be treated like children.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Obama is annoying the hell out of me. Repeating the same thing over and over and over....and over...see how annoying that is?

That's how you teach people; repetition.  People who doen't want to listen stay ignorant.

angduse1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Bookwormy.. please contirbute my mess up to late nite jitters.. considering I now see it is 1:30 am.. I should be in bed..rolling on floor.. Good nite all. Before I truly mess up..  

JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Quoting angduse1:

You silly person... You know nothing of my Grandma..

I only know that you stated she was smarter than the President when she died and that she predicted he would "damage the world, especially poor people."  Both statements are irresponsible and incorrect.

you don't know if she was racist or anything of the sort..

No, I don't know if she was racist which is why I didn't call her a racist; that was the agitator to whom you are apologizing.  I really don't care if she was a racist or not; that's your legacy - or not.  If you want to know if I believed your gma racist you should ask rather than erroneously conclude as bookwormy did.

We actually are a state That helped the slaves escape (ever heard of the underground Railroad)...

Which state is that?  Your gma wasn't old enough to have worked the underground railroad; did ANY of your relatives work it?  Not all people in the deep south have racial issues and most people in states with stops on the underground railroad were just as racist as the racists in the deep south which is why it was UNDERGROUND.

We have many friends that are black...

How many is many?  I always get a little smile on my face when people write that but never actually can come up with a number.  Give me a range if its easier.

and quite a few of them would like to have a word with you for disgracing my Grandmothers name if they ever read this..

They wouldn't feel it was YOU who disgraced her by attempting to use her to demean and disrespect the President? 

But wait I did not even give you her name..so I guess that also means nothing in the big scale of things..sidesplittinglaughter...

Nothing anyone does here matters in the grand scheme of things; to think otherwise is sheer arrogance and foolishness.

I was commenting on Age and wisdom in general.. they go hand in hand...

They don't.  Wisdom does not naturally come with age; one has to cultivate wisdom or one stays as clueless, self-centered and insensitive as one was in one's youth.

You my friend have neither..

It's not wise to call someone "my friend" who is not your friend.  To do so sounds presumptuous and/or pompous and/or condescending which is fine if that is the perception you wanted to achieve.

I would not dare say I possess wisdom but I'll hazard a guess I have a few years on you based on the self-congratulatory way you write.  By YOUR reasoning, that makes me naturally smarter than you.  Remember, that's not my way of thinking but yours.

this I can tell. Otherwise you would have watched your tongue..

Oh, I watched my fingers, considered what I was going to type.and whether I should type it and decided I would treat you as I treat anyone writing something silly.  What I can tell is that YOU don't know ME at all if you think I need you or anyone else to convince me of my intelligence or lack of it or that I am worried whether you approve of what I write or that I write based on what you or others will think of my intelligence.

You don't think it is you who should have thought better of inserting your gma into my comment on what someone else wrote and asserting your grandmother is smarter than the President based solely on age?  Did you believe no one would dare challenge such a statement because...what...she was old and she's dead and because of some belief that we can't challenge what you said because it was your gma?  No one gets a pass from me if YOU bring them into the discussion.  No one.

I would never insult your Grandmother in this way..

In what way? 

Have some cheese with your w(h)ine and learn to accept the consequences of your action(s).  That's a little bit of wisdom I happen to have up my sleeve passed down through the ages.

and I am sure she is looking down on you right now and wondering Why you did such a thing..

Who?  My grandmother or yours?  And what thing is it I did? 

Now, YOU brought your grandmother into the discussion, not I.  I COULD pretend to be offended you DARED say my grandmother is looking down on me or is passing judgment on me but I'm not that silly or lame or nasty. 

Have a good night.... and grow up.

LOL!  Gee, you were so polite....and then not.

Also remember that you decided to cut into my comment to someone else.  It's like doing that offline; you have to expect you won't be well received or appreciated.  What; you thought I'd agree or thank you for being a rude, offensive butt-in-ski?

Get over yourself.  You're not as smart as you think you are.  Few people who act like you are but you always believe you are.  It's NEVER smart to talk trash to me or to try to misrepresent what I write or lie to me.  Ask anyone.

Quoting Bookwormy:

You may know the poster better that I, but why are you assuming southern racist bigotry. Assuming is a cognitive distortion. You may make a tush out of both of you.

Quoting JonJon:

With all due respect to your grandma she became of voting age in 1944 when she'd have expected nothing of black men but to shine her shoes or sweep up after her and why not?  The military, during WWII, didn't want black men as anything but cooks and latrine diggers. 

Making it to age 89 doesn't mean she was a social issues genius or expert in politics or right about the President.  Many stupid and bigoted people live to ripe old ages.  It seems she passed her bigotry to you.  Do you live in the deep south?

Quoting angduse1:

Yes we all have lots to learn including Obama...My 89 year old Grandma told me he would do great damage to this world especially the poor,,.. Right before she died of Cancer.. I listen to my elders.. She did not make it to age 89 for nothing.

I feel Obama is still a baby and has much to learn compared to my Grandmother..... And she was right.

Quoting JonJon:

Adults who believe they have nothing more to learn because they are no longer kids are idiots.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Or the people who have to be told over and over are idiots. Adults shouldn't be treated like children.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Obama is annoying the hell out of me. Repeating the same thing over and over and over....and over...see how annoying that is?

That's how you teach people; repetition.  People who doen't want to listen stay ignorant.

Citygirlk
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Ibe been wanting to hear about his healthcare plans for a while now because he can become president and what he want to do will effect my family a lot and i would love some more detailed information on his plans from his mouth.

Quoting Lisa1273:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Ok so romney had gis chance to explain what he would replace "obamacare" with and once again he didnt go into detail, actually refused to. And this is the man people was for president?

You didn't mention the economy or unemployment though? (Cough cough)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:26 AM

1)  I didn't write the word racist.  I believe there is a difference between being a racist and possessing bigoted ideas about people.  If you knew me better, you'd know that.  You'd also know that I don't believe being a racist is something that people don't have a right to be and I don't think of it as the most heinous thing a person can be.  There are so many worse "ists" one can be.  There are a lot better ones but if someone came up to me and said, "I'm a racist" I'd ask, "And you felt compelled to tell me, why?"  My teeth wouldn't chatter, my knees wouldn't knock and I wouldn't shout, "Feets, don' fail me now!"

2)  I have indirect ways of getting information from people when I perceive they are likely not to comply if I come right out and ask.  I didn't get a state, but I believe she indicated she lives in a northern state.  I utilized her (and your) stereotyped ideas and bigotries of southern states.  I say "your" because white people tend to believe southern states are more bigoted toward blacks than northern states but that's not the case.

3)  WHO did the assuming?  I was on a fishing expedition.  Don't YOU go making a tush of yourself based on your misperception(s) of what I do.

"Cognitive distortion."  Heh.  Where did you get that load? 

Assumptions are based on information provided and past experiences and current personal beliefs.  Based on how YOU think, not on how I think, you assumed I was calling someone a racist merely because I used the word bigotry and because I asked if she lives in a southern state.  Based on what YOU believe about people in southern states, YOU assumed I believed gma was racist and passed it to her gdaughter. 

Pay attention from now on and before you incorrectly judge me try to determine if I outright pronounced anyone to be of a certain mindset (when I believe that I say it) or see if you can figure out how I'm leading someone into telling me what I want to know. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting angduse1:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting azaz:

Well let's see, #1 didn't come up & only Obamacare was mentioned on #3. Planned Parenthood is not totally dependent on government funding so it's not like they will be forced out of 'business'. As far as I know there are certain things that Planned Parenthood does or doesn't do that is against the majority's wishes. And a good politician is elected to follow the majority of it's constituents wishes.  And #2 has been found, over & over again, to be erroneous, however, it is well known that the more times it is mentioned, the more certain words get cemented in one's mind. Let's use #2 as an example: Obama really knows that the statement is false, however by repeating the lie he knows that his supporters or the undecided voter will associate the term "middle-class + taxes and their brain will tell them it's true because it's associated with someone they support. Simple really.  

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

It doesn't work. It defies gravity and flows back to them.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

What do YOU think about the "trickle down" approach?

You are insane. Anything intelligent to say?

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

How does he plan on paying for these taxcuts.

Were you not listening? 

angduse1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:55 AM

WOW.. JONJON.. you get really excited... I never said my Grandma was smarter

I said she was wiser.. Meaning more experience in life as a whole.. Read the post below... In a sense I was saying that everyone including myself

have lots to learn and experience in life... I feel Obama is no exception to this rule

Being smart does not make him wise....  You really misunderstood me. In a sense I was agreeing with you.. but said the truth.. that Obama needs more experience before becoming a good president.. Not as a president...but in life...

Read this sight on Wisdom or intelligence.. They seem the same but are not

.. I am sure the President is smart enough..

but he does lack Wisdom.. Of course I am sure Romney does too.

My Grandmother lacks non of those now.. She is with our Lord and Savior...

and I am sure you are so confused .. so glad you got all that off your

chest.... All your insults do nothing for me.. Except make me realize

that Yes I might be a little one sided.. but NO more so then you. Makes me

also realize how wise my Grandmother was indeed.. cause she would never

have said anything at all to make you go off like this.. . So I too need to practice what she did.... Silence....For that is Truly Golden.. She would have

just listened to you and your beliefs and said nothing.. Just learned from it.

We all need to do the same.. Sorry if I offended you by posting while you were posting.. I like to quote others.. Seemed like a good thing. Perhaps I

was wrong.. You go ahead and continue to debate.. I will listen..

Good nite all.

http://paulgraham.com/wisdom.html      Had trouble pasting this one. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)