Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2012 Presidential Debate Oct. 3: Watch It and Discuss the Issues with Us! (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney

The First Presidential Debate was Wednesday, October 3rd at 9 p.m. ET in Denver, Colorado where the candidates focused on Domestic Policy.

patriotic                

Watch it and share your thoughts!

The debate aired live on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, all cable news channels including CNN, Fox News and MSNBC and via live stream at: 2012PresidentialElectionNews.com

votingReply here to tell us what you like about the candidates, what you don’t like, what you think about their stances on the issues, and whatever comes to mind!

And don't miss out on your chance to WIN a $25 gift card:
GIVEAWAY and POLL: Obama or Romney? Win a $25 gift card!!

Please join us again next week, October 11th at 9pm ET, for another great discussion as we watch the Vice Presidential debate on foreign and domestic policy, aired on the same networks and online.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Replies (941-950):
Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

Romney is full of it. He says he won't raise the taxes on the rich, but he is going to reduce the deficit. Where is it going to come from? He can't hamstring companies with taxes or our economy will tank again. 8(

Deficits result from spending above the baseline, and tax revenues correlate with economic growth, not tax rates.  The better the economy is, the greater the revenues.  Higher taxes shrink the baseline because it discourages the taxed behavior. Lowering taxes encourages taxed behavior. An example is - if an employee brings home less money when he/she works overtime due to the tax structure which is higher the more hours they work. On the other hand, if the taxes are lower and the employee actually brings home more money, he/she would be more likely to work overtime. I remember the old saying, "The more you make, the more they take." I know of companies who actually had to make working overtime mandatory, mainly due to this. Same thing goes for anything where money exchanges hands. When the sales tax is higher, people have less to spend and the less they have to give in taxes, the more he/she has to purchase items. Of course it makes sense that spending has to be cut as well. Remember this: Lower Taxes + decreased spending = increased revenues = lowering of the deficit. Raising taxes does nothing for the deficit except make it worse. I know it seems backwards, but really it's not. 

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

Taking food from poor kids and granny's medicine.

Quoting mem82:

Romney is full of it. He says he won't raise the taxes on the rich, but he is going to reduce the deficit. Where is it going to come from? He can't hamstring companies with taxes or our economy will tank again. 8(

Wrong, wrong wrong. Again

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Quoting Citygirlk:

So you're against job creation?

Quoting SweetLuci:

Obama wants to hire 100,000 math and science teachers. I didn't know the president hired teachers. Spend, spend, spend-and who pays for this-taxpayers.  In most areas of the country, the k-12 population has decreased. Many teachers unions are ensuring teachers that can't teach, still stay in the classroom. Ones who are charged and proven to have inappropriate behavior are put in a separate room, to do paperwork or do nothing, and still get full pay. This needs to change. There needs to be more accountability.

She's saying nothing of the kind. Comprehension please.

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

Yes, he dug us out of the recession.

Quoting Jambo4:

oh here comes Obama talking regurgitated talking post...  yeah? and your approach worked?  NO

OMG! WE ARE STILL IN A RECESSION! AND IF OBAMA LETS MOST OF THOSE TAX CUTS EXPIRE - WELL SAY "HELLO" TO A DEPRESSION.

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Quoting Seven7ruval11:

Quoting jomami:

Obama is not a liar and he makes plenty of important meetings.  Romney is the one who shouldn't be trusted!. And you know he makes plenty of meetings because...? You get a copy of his itinerary? Even his own people say he just up and leaves, he says he can't reach out to Congress, even one evening a week or month? Because, he says,  "he feels it's more important to spend week-ends & evenings with his family? And he lied about that also, week-ends find him golfing or shooting hoops, Michelle & the girls play Tennis on Saturday afternoon while he watches T.V. Must be nice. Who T. F. told him this was a M-F, 9-5 job? What president skips the first day of an important summit meeting so they can be on a T.V. show? Forget about a Peace Prize he didn't deserve and give him the "Biggest Liar In Politics" award. Hell, I'll kick in a few bucks for that.

Obama is a great president and it's important for our country that he is re-elected!  He will help us get out of the mess that was created by the previous president.  he's working on it but a mess like he walked into requires more time than just 4 yrs. 

A vote for Romney will set us back.  Don't do that to our country!

Quoting Seven7ruval11:

Really?  We need a liar?  We need someone who misses IMPORTANT MEETINGS, regarding our defense to make meeting Beyonce and JayZ and to be on THE VIEW?  We NEED a man who has spent more in his 4 years than he CONDEMNED BUSH FOR SPENDING,.IN THE EIGHT YEARS HE HELD OFFICE?  We need a man who has made EVERYTHING WORSE?????????

THIS IGNORANCE is why I can't do this.  I came in to peek at comments and I can't handle people's ignorance and blindness.  I don't mind OPINIONS.  But, to say WE NEED OBAMA IS THE BIGGEST JOKE.  For what?  Do drive us down faster?  To give more BILLIONS TO THE ENEMY????  To bow down to those who want to kill us and blow our country up?????

What is wrong with people?  What do you think Obama HAS DONE OR IS DOING OR CAN DO THAT HE HASN'T DONE, IN FOUR YEARS?  HE DEFINITELY HASN'T TRIED TO IMPROVE OUR ECONOMY BY SPENDING 5 TRILLION MORE DOLLARS!

Think of it in HUMAN, NORMAL PEOPLE TERMS:  You have maxed out your credit cards and taken out loans up the ying yang.  Now, you are about to lose your house and your family and children have no idea what you're going to do.  Then you think, "Well, I can get one more credit card and I'll give it to the Muslims over there.  Maybe some way, God will make sure we eat, while I give this new credit line to someone else." 

Has everyone lost their minds lately?  Do you not see what I see?  Where has he improved or even tried to improve things?  Do you really believe that SPENDING MORE MONEY, WHEN YOU ARE BROKE AND IN DEBT WILL GET YOU OUT OF DEBT?  READ THAT OVER AND REPEAT IT TO YOURSELF AND LOOK AT HOW CRAZY IT IS! 

ExquisiteMomof2
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly my thoughts. The color of his skin has positivity nothing to do with my extreme dislike of the man! I'm still waiting on him to deliver on hire promises to us middle class.

Out of all honestly skin, gender, religious affiliation mean nothing to me for a Presidential candidate. Meat and bones is where it counts. We ask bleed red. As long as the president bleeds red, I don't care about anything else unless its related to politics and how it affects the country, myself, my husband, our children, our family, our friends, and our community.

When will people get skin color has nothing to do with the man being a complete idiot?

Quoting ninastone:

You know, in my personal expirience, I have only ever heard Obama supporters mention the color of his skin. I think it is you people who can't get over it.

Quoting tpickle:

Well, I doubt if Obama can have a fair shot tonight, this country is still so divided and thats the way the Republicans like it.  The 47% comments proves that.   Republicans are sighting Reagan over and over again, claiming he won the election because of his debate success.  Hope is running high for Romney, they expect a miracle and they just may  think they see one tonight (II see a smart Romney).   Obama is healing the economy already, but people just can't see past the color of his skin.  I just hope there are a majority of Americans voting who can understand the truth.  I hope!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Amen.

Very good debate for Romney.

Quoting Xlandria:

Quoting mem82:

Yes, he dug us out of the recession.

Quoting Jambo4:

oh here comes Obama talking regurgitated talking post...  yeah? and your approach worked?  NO

OMG! WE ARE STILL IN A RECESSION! AND IF OBAMA LETS MOST OF THOSE TAX CUTS EXPIRE - WELL SAY "HELLO" TO A DEPRESSION.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

DixieL
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

Obama talked longer than he was supposed to almost every time, and didn't get cut off by the moderator. He didn't maintain control.

Quoting DixieL:

Romney didn't shut up. The narrator wouldn't shut Romney up. Everytime the President tried to talk, they shut him up very fast. This wasn't a good debate at all.

I'm sorry I disagree with you. The moderator let Romney speak as long as he wanted to. When it was the Presidents turn the moderator wouldn't even let him speak for his two minutes. If you noticed, as soon as the debate was over, the news people, were saying how bad the moderator was.

SlightlyPerfect
I just don't understand why some people choose to live in filth.
Yesterday at 9:27 AM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I am glad I didn't have my computer with me last night during the debates. That was just awful. 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Are you watching? I'd love to get your thoughts on what they say during the next 90 minutes. :)

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What do I think of the debates tonight? I think there is a level of corrosiveness in this ideological system, this blisteringly intellectually and morally bankrupt paradigm we've been calling "politics." That which is supposed to help us define the underlying principles that frame and uphold our social system--that which is based on epistemology, metaphysis, and ethics--has turned into a cacophony of nonthinking bullshit. And ontologically and existentially will be the catalyst for our social suicide if we don't get our shit together. And we'll see that in the debates tonight.

slightlyperfect

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Yes it was. I went to bed about fifty minutes into it. Politics are supposed to be the civilized option to war. Instead of statesmanship we get infomercials and tabloid TV. There is no political process; last night just made the horse race harder to call for pundits. 

Big whoop.

I'm voting Green. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I am glad I didn't have my computer with me last night during the debates. That was just awful. 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Are you watching? I'd love to get your thoughts on what they say during the next 90 minutes. :)

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What do I think of the debates tonight? I think there is a level of corrosiveness in this ideological system, this blisteringly intellectually and morally bankrupt paradigm we've been calling "politics." That which is supposed to help us define the underlying principles that frame and uphold our social system--that which is based on epistemology, metaphysis, and ethics--has turned into a cacophony of nonthinking bullshit. And ontologically and existentially will be the catalyst for our social suicide if we don't get our shit together. And we'll see that in the debates tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)