Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2012 Presidential Debate Oct. 3: Watch It and Discuss the Issues with Us! (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney

The First Presidential Debate was Wednesday, October 3rd at 9 p.m. ET in Denver, Colorado where the candidates focused on Domestic Policy.

patriotic                

Watch it and share your thoughts!

The debate aired live on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, all cable news channels including CNN, Fox News and MSNBC and via live stream at: 2012PresidentialElectionNews.com

votingReply here to tell us what you like about the candidates, what you don’t like, what you think about their stances on the issues, and whatever comes to mind!

And don't miss out on your chance to WIN a $25 gift card:
GIVEAWAY and POLL: Obama or Romney? Win a $25 gift card!!

Please join us again next week, October 11th at 9pm ET, for another great discussion as we watch the Vice Presidential debate on foreign and domestic policy, aired on the same networks and online.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Replies (951-960):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I just don't get it. Are we, as a nation, getting dumber and confusing mediocrity for greatness? What makes people think if they can regurgitate the pop-political diatribes they hear on a news station they can call that "deep"? Why are we, as a society, so accepting of this (as you so aptly called it) horse race?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Yes it was. I went to bed about fifty minutes into it. Politics are supposed to be the civilized option to war. Instead of statesmanship we get infomercials and tabloid TV. There is no political process; last night just made the horse race harder to call for pundits. 

Big whoop.

I'm voting Green. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I am glad I didn't have my computer with me last night during the debates. That was just awful. 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Are you watching? I'd love to get your thoughts on what they say during the next 90 minutes. :)

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What do I think of the debates tonight? I think there is a level of corrosiveness in this ideological system, this blisteringly intellectually and morally bankrupt paradigm we've been calling "politics." That which is supposed to help us define the underlying principles that frame and uphold our social system--that which is based on epistemology, metaphysis, and ethics--has turned into a cacophony of nonthinking bullshit. And ontologically and existentially will be the catalyst for our social suicide if we don't get our shit together. And we'll see that in the debates tonight.

slightlyperfect

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't understand or appreciate options. We take what we're given and even if we find it unacceptable, we don't challenge it or find another option. 

Had there been a third or fourth person there last night, both Romney and Obama would have been taken to task plain and simple.

As it stands, we are given the option of crap or shit. It's all the same and it's killing this country.

We accept this because abstract and critical thinking are lacking in our society. Parents send their kids to school and that's the end of the educational process. In those schools, for the most part, children are being taught curricula that are put out by for-profit companies.

Bring back the Socratic method, incorporate critical pedagogy, and, for God's sake, teach these kids how to speak and write! We teach our children how to balance a check book and budget for shopping (which reinforces our consumer-driven society, rather than questions it), but we don't teach them how to find answers to complex questions. 

Of course, if we did that, the current paradigm would collapse.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I just don't get it. Are we, as a nation, getting dumber and confusing mediocrity for greatness? What makes people think if they can regurgitate the pop-political diatribes they hear on a news station they can call that "deep"? Why are we, as a society, so accepting of this (as you so aptly called it) horse race?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Yes it was. I went to bed about fifty minutes into it. Politics are supposed to be the civilized option to war. Instead of statesmanship we get infomercials and tabloid TV. There is no political process; last night just made the horse race harder to call for pundits. 

Big whoop.

I'm voting Green. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I am glad I didn't have my computer with me last night during the debates. That was just awful. 

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Are you watching? I'd love to get your thoughts on what they say during the next 90 minutes. :)

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What do I think of the debates tonight? I think there is a level of corrosiveness in this ideological system, this blisteringly intellectually and morally bankrupt paradigm we've been calling "politics." That which is supposed to help us define the underlying principles that frame and uphold our social system--that which is based on epistemology, metaphysis, and ethics--has turned into a cacophony of nonthinking bullshit. And ontologically and existentially will be the catalyst for our social suicide if we don't get our shit together. And we'll see that in the debates tonight.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Yes yes yes! You are right about pedagogy and critical-thinking skills! And parental involvement is key. That is why I chose to stay home with DD. It's like, "Kid's 5! He's now the state's problem!"

I think it runs deeper than that, though. I think, and you put it so well below, the issue is actually a self-esteem issue.

There is more I want to say, but I have to wake DD up. I'll be back.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

We don't understand or appreciate options. We take what we're given and even if we find it unacceptable, we don't challenge it or find another option. 

Had there been a third or fourth person there last night, both Romney and Obama would have been taken to task plain and simple.

As it stands, we are given the option of crap or shit. It's all the same and it's killing this country.

We accept this because abstract and critical thinking are lacking in our society. Parents send their kids to school and that's the end of the educational process. In those schools, for the most part, children are being taught curricula that are put out by for-profit companies.

Bring back the Socratic method, incorporate critical pedagogy, and, for God's sake, teach these kids how to speak and write! We teach our children how to balance a check book and budget for shopping (which reinforces our consumer-driven society, rather than questions it), but we don't teach them how to find answers to complex questions. 

Of course, if we did that, the current paradigm would collapse.

slightlyperfect

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM

You may or you may not know that "factchecker is a tool used by the Democratic party - a little biased.

Quoting Angie_O:

I love how fact checker is pretty much pointing out that much of what Romney said is False! =)

AGals
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Your kidding me right? First and for most who are you speaking of when you say ”you people” maybe you should proof read before you post. Second, of course no one is going to get on national television and talk negatively about the color of the presidents skin. Why would they want to expose themselves? Fact of the matter is, it's still an issue so lets not flip the script here.

Quoting ninastone:

You know, in my personal expirience, I have only ever heard Obama supporters mention the color of his skin. I think it is you people who can't get over it.

Quoting tpickle:

Well, I doubt if Obama can have a fair shot tonight, this country is still so divided and thats the way the Republicans like it.  The 47% comments proves that.   Republicans are sighting Reagan over and over again, claiming he won the election because of his debate success.  Hope is running high for Romney, they expect a miracle and they just may  think they see one tonight (II see a smart Romney).   Obama is healing the economy already, but people just can't see past the color of his skin.  I just hope there are a majority of Americans voting who can understand the truth.  I hope!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM

You really have a great take on what is happening, I hope you will stay around and continue to post through the election.

Quoting Seven7ruval11:

Really?  We need a liar?  We need someone who misses IMPORTANT MEETINGS, regarding our defense to make meeting Beyonce and JayZ and to be on THE VIEW?  We NEED a man who has spent more in his 4 years than he CONDEMNED BUSH FOR SPENDING,.IN THE EIGHT YEARS HE HELD OFFICE?  We need a man who has made EVERYTHING WORSE?????????

THIS IGNORANCE is why I can't do this.  I came in to peek at comments and I can't handle people's ignorance and blindness.  I don't mind OPINIONS.  But, to say WE NEED OBAMA IS THE BIGGEST JOKE.  For what?  Do drive us down faster?  To give more BILLIONS TO THE ENEMY????  To bow down to those who want to kill us and blow our country up?????

What is wrong with people?  What do you think Obama HAS DONE OR IS DOING OR CAN DO THAT HE HASN'T DONE, IN FOUR YEARS?  HE DEFINITELY HASN'T TRIED TO IMPROVE OUR ECONOMY BY SPENDING 5 TRILLION MORE DOLLARS!

Think of it in HUMAN, NORMAL PEOPLE TERMS:  You have maxed out your credit cards and taken out loans up the ying yang.  Now, you are about to lose your house and your family and children have no idea what you're going to do.  Then you think, "Well, I can get one more credit card and I'll give it to the Muslims over there.  Maybe some way, God will make sure we eat, while I give this new credit line to someone else." 

Has everyone lost their minds lately?  Do you not see what I see?  Where has he improved or even tried to improve things?  Do you really believe that SPENDING MORE MONEY, WHEN YOU ARE BROKE AND IN DEBT WILL GET YOU OUT OF DEBT?  READ THAT OVER AND REPEAT IT TO YOURSELF AND LOOK AT HOW CRAZY IT IS! 

Quoting jomami:

George Bush and the republicans caused all of those problems!  Obama has been trying to clean up their mess! 

We need Obama to continue getting this country on the right track - back to a balanced budget, jobs for Americans, good relations with other countries... Romney won't be able to do these things - he'll only make them worse and lose the ground that Obama has made over the past 4 years.

AMERICA NEEDS OBAMA!!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting mamabirdtx:

Just curious about what President Obama has done that would define his term as disastrous? And how should it have been done differently.

I don't know how in depth, I should go.

We have the highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression.

We have the lowest labor participation rate since the Great Depression.

The largest Tax increase in the nations history is set to occur on January 1st.

More people are in need of food stamps and other Government assistance than anytime in history.

Obama has cut 716 Billion out of Medicare to pay for the medical system he forced upon the country.

To accomplish this he has added 6 trillion in debt during his term.

He has spent billions in Taxpayer money on stimulus packages to foreign companies and companies that went bankrupt.

That is just the economic side, throw in the numerous scandals. foreign policy that his own State Department is at odds with,  and it seems pretty clear.

Bookwormy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Fine. Why were you assuming southern bigotry? Perhaps it had nothing to do with bigotry. Perhaps (apparently) nothing to do with being from the south. If you don't like the phrase cognitive distortion, then thinking error. I stick with assumption because you were assuming. Its all over your post that you assumed it was about Obama being Black. Later you judged her grandmother for not being as educated as O. I didn't assume anything. I asked you why you assumed, based on what you wrote, not on assumptions but on writings. I wrote racist only because you made reference to race first. Of course I know other forms of bigotry exist. I'm a queer Jewish woman living in TX, LOL!

I have every right to ask why you did what you did. You sont like it, PM intead of public post.

Quoting JonJon:

1)  I didn't write the word racist.  I believe there is a difference between being a racist and possessing bigoted ideas about people.  If you knew me better, you'd know that.  You'd also know that I don't believe being a racist is something that people don't have a right to be and I don't think of it as the most heinous thing a person can be.  There are so many worse "ists" one can be.  There are a lot better ones but if someone came up to me and said, "I'm a racist" I'd ask, "And you felt compelled to tell me, why?"  My teeth wouldn't chatter, my knees wouldn't knock and I wouldn't shout, "Feets, don' fail me now!"

2)  I have indirect ways of getting information from people when I perceive they are likely not to comply if I come right out and ask.  I didn't get a state, but I believe she indicated she lives in a northern state.  I utilized her (and your) stereotyped ideas and bigotries of southern states.  I say "your" because white people tend to believe southern states are more bigoted toward blacks than northern states but that's not the case.

3)  WHO did the assuming?  I was on a fishing expedition.  Don't YOU go making a tush of yourself based on your misperception(s) of what I do.

"Cognitive distortion."  Heh.  Where did you get that load? 

Assumptions are based on information provided and past experiences and current personal beliefs.  Based on how YOU think, not on how I think, you assumed I was calling someone a racist merely because I used the word bigotry and because I asked if she lives in a southern state.  Based on what YOU believe about people in southern states, YOU assumed I believed gma was racist and passed it to her gdaughter. 

Pay attention from now on and before you incorrectly judge me try to determine if I outright pronounced anyone to be of a certain mindset (when I believe that I say it) or see if you can figure out how I'm leading someone into telling me what I want to know. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

You may know the poster better that I, but why are you assuming southern racist bigotry. Assuming is a cognitive distortion. You may make a tush out of both of you.

Quoting JonJon:

With all due respect to your grandma she became of voting age in 1944 when she'd have expected nothing of black men but to shine her shoes or sweep up after her and why not?  The military, during WWII, didn't want black men as anything but cooks and latrine diggers. 

Making it to age 89 doesn't mean she was a social issues genius or expert in politics or right about the President.  Many stupid and bigoted people live to ripe old ages.  It seems she passed her bigotry to you.  Do you live in the deep south?

Quoting angduse1:

Yes we all have lots to learn including Obama...My 89 year old Grandma told me he would do great damage to this world especially the poor,,.. Right before she died of Cancer.. I listen to my elders.. She did not make it to age 89 for nothing.

I feel Obama is still a baby and has much to learn compared to my Grandmother..... And she was right.

Quoting JonJon:

Adults who believe they have nothing more to learn because they are no longer kids are idiots.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Or the people who have to be told over and over are idiots. Adults shouldn't be treated like children.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Obama is annoying the hell out of me. Repeating the same thing over and over and over....and over...see how annoying that is?

That's how you teach people; repetition.  People who doen't want to listen stay ignorant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Here we go!

Wow, that didn't go too well for ya.

MamisAngels
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I feel Obama was a bit more wavering with his answers. Not very direct.
Romney had clear and strategic solutions for every question he was asked, as well as for his responses to Obama.

Read my Beauty Blog

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Quoting angduse1:

Sorry Bookwormy did not mean to quote you like this.. Messed up.. Never said I was perfect.. LOL..

I forgot to mention how you addressed me by quoting BW.  Luckily, I noticed my purple font and read your reply.  If I were like you, I'd call you stupid and say you must be young because of course, no aged, wise person would have made such a careless error. 

Also I might add.. my mistake. the lady who commented might actually still have her Grandma still alive..

Again, you're talking to her and apologizing to HER for bringing my grandmother into this discussion.  My grandmother is dead but I'm not so young as to pretend my grandmother is somehow more sanctified in death and beyond judgment reproach.  She's perfectly dead, tried hard to be a good woman but she wasn't perfect.  I accept that and don't go around like a kid ready to accuse someone of being horrible for mentioning her and hoping that will get her booted from the group..

So I guess I assumed a bit myself..

You absolutely assumed, a lot.

I am not trying to insult anyone here..

Why do so many Romniacs struggle with telling the truth?  You absolutely tried to insult someone here.  The thing is, you have do a better job than that to get to me.  It takes a lot to get to me.  Many have tried, many have failed; people much more clever at lobbing insults than you.

Just stating a point.. on Wisdom. Wisdom comes with age..

No, it doesn't.  One accrues experience with age IF one gets out and about and intermingles and talks with many different kinds of people.  Whether or not one accrues wisdom depends on how much one appreciates those experiences and cultivates knowledge, awareness and the ability to see things from varying points of view; from other people's vantages and then knows how to apply that to the way one usually thinks in ways that enhances the ways one thinks about things.  Too many people don't do that, don't even know how, don't even want to try.  Not wise, at all.

and our president is still pretty young considering....

Considering he's only 51?  Not too many people live to be 89 the averages are 72-77 so ask yourself how intelligent it is to say the younger a person is, the less wise that person must be.  Wisdom is not age-apparent.  I've seen many extremely wise children who know a lot more about the world and its issues than most adults including me who are making extraordinary contributions to society and other children. 

Wisdom is not an IQ-thing, either; I've seen some Downs Syndrome and other challenged children/adults who blew me away with their wisdom.  Never underestimate (or overestimate) anyone based on age, appearance or "IQ."

I having nothing against his color or his Age..

No one mentioned his color but you which makes it seem it's on your mind as you are unnecessarily arguing a point that wasn't raised.  You most definitely have made it seem you have something against his age; you wrote he's comparatively young and therefore not as wise as someone older.  Mitt Romney's older.  I guess you believe that makes him automatically wiser than the President.  Let me assure you; it doesn't.

he is very young still even to me..

What do you mean, "Even to me?"  Does that mean you're the President's age?  Does that mean you're younger?  Watch how you answer that question; I'm laying a trap.

I have seen and been through things that even he has not....

Oh?  What things are those?  I've personally witnessed a full eclipse of the sun; looked directl at it when we students were told not to do that (I didn't go blind, I still have good vision, 20/30 - under my cataracts) and would be willing to guess that the President has not personally seen one but when the guy can hop on a plane and go anywhere in the world where there's a total eclipse of the sun to view, I won't do it. 

I can't imagine what you've seen the President hasn't or couldn't if he wanted to see it.  I certainly don't believe you know anything the President doesn't that isn't personal to you but >ahem< the President can know all there is to know about you if he wanted to know all about you, couldn't he?

The President is biracial but looks and is treated as 100% black, male, has lived in Hawaii which is extremely multicutural and diverse, has lived in other parts of the world, has attended two Ivy-league schools, has met dignitaries from all over the world...is it possible he's seen, experienced and done a whole lot of things you haven't and never will?  Is it possible he's wiser than you?  Than you and me, both?

So yes I think he has much to learn..

If any of us is truly wise, we know we all have many things to learn and will try to learn as much as we can until we die.  Is there something specific you believe the President needs to learn in order to be the best President he can be?  Is there something Romney knows the President doesn't that you believe makes him more worthy of your invaluable vote?

Nothing else... But I think we all have much to learn..

There's more information in the world than any one of us can absorb but we shouldn't let that make us afraid to try to absorb it all.  

My Grandmother is Dead.. she would if she could admit that she still had much to learn as well.. Even at age 89..

...even if she'd lived to be 100 or older.

She would say she does not know everything and does not wish to know everything.

I make it a point to avoid some subject matter but I'm not afraid to broach those subjects from time to time.  I'm not sure it's wise to say one doesn't want to know everything.  I believe it's wiser to say one is willing to learn everything that comes to one's attention.  For instance, one doesn't say to oneself, "Oh, great!  Some weird people moved in across the street.  They look foreign from the way they dress.  I don't even want to try to know them" because one misses a fabulous opportunity to learn something interesting and new that contributes to one's storehouse of knowledge and contributes to one's carefully cultivated garden of wisdom.

Do I consider her wise beyond her years.. yes I do..

What do you mean?  She was as wise as a person of, say, 100?  Someone older?  "Wise beyond his/her years" is what one says of someone young.  By your way of thinking, one might say President Obama is wise beyond his years.  He's certainly wiser than most Americans of 51 years of age.

ANd nothing the other poster puts down will change that for me or her friends..

You need to stop acting like I've put down your gma.  I didn't.  I'm merely telling the truth.  She may have been wise but it wasn't because age automatically imbued or endowed her with wisdom.  I still say it wasn't wise of her to say something as irrational and irresponsible as the President will "damage the world, especially poor people."  But conventional wisdom would say perhaps she never said that but you misinterpreted what she said.  You might have inadvertently demonstrated the lack of wisdom in talking for someone else.  We see all the time how easy it is to misunderstand or misinterpret one another during these discussions.  We've seen you do that to me so it's not unreasonable to believe you've misstated your gma.

And I will vote for the other guy next time

Based on what?  I hope it's not based on what you believe gma or I said but on policy and social issues.

Obama as far as I am concerned Had his Chance... That is all I have to say about that

So people only get one chance?  You've done everything you've done perfectly well the first time you did them?  How nice to have never had the need of a second chance.  I will say the Prez is not in need of a second chance; he's done pretty well his first term all things considered.  He needs to be given the first chance at a second term. 

There's no second chance for a perfect first term, there's only the chance to continue and cultiviate the changes enacted in the first term.  Not too many people, outside of dictators who gained their powers through military coups, have the abilities to make extensive, long-lasting changes in the way a country is run in only four years. 

Those with true wisdom know that.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Umm...not me who wrote that response. I was questioning it myself.

Quoting angduse1:

You silly person... You know nothing of my Grandma.. you don't know if she was racist or anything of the sort.. We actually are a state That helped the slaves escape (ever heard of the underground Railroad)... We have many friends that are black... and quite a few of them would like to have a word with you for disgracing my Grandmothers name if they ever read this..But wait I did not even give you her name..so I guess that also means nothing in the big scale of things..sidesplittinglaughter...I was commenting on Age and wisdom in general.. they go hand in hand...You my friend have neither.. this I can tell. Otherwise you would have watched your tongue.. I would never insult your Grandmother in this way.. and I am sure she is looking down on you right now and wondering Why you did such a thing.. Have a good night.... and grow up.

Quoting Bookwormy:

You may know the poster better that I, but why are you assuming southern racist bigotry. Assuming is a cognitive distortion. You may make a tush out of both of you.

Quoting JonJon:

With all due respect to your grandma she became of voting age in 1944 when she'd have expected nothing of black men but to shine her shoes or sweep up after her and why not?  The military, during WWII, didn't want black men as anything but cooks and latrine diggers. 

Making it to age 89 doesn't mean she was a social issues genius or expert in politics or right about the President.  Many stupid and bigoted people live to ripe old ages.  It seems she passed her bigotry to you.  Do you live in the deep south?

Quoting angduse1:

Yes we all have lots to learn including Obama...My 89 year old Grandma told me he would do great damage to this world especially the poor,,.. Right before she died of Cancer.. I listen to my elders.. She did not make it to age 89 for nothing.

I feel Obama is still a baby and has much to learn compared to my Grandmother..... And she was right.

Quoting JonJon:

Adults who believe they have nothing more to learn because they are no longer kids are idiots.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Or the people who have to be told over and over are idiots. Adults shouldn't be treated like children.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Obama is annoying the hell out of me. Repeating the same thing over and over and over....and over...see how annoying that is?

That's how you teach people; repetition.  People who doen't want to listen stay ignorant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN