Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2012 Presidential Debate Oct. 3: Watch It and Discuss the Issues with Us! (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney

The First Presidential Debate was Wednesday, October 3rd at 9 p.m. ET in Denver, Colorado where the candidates focused on Domestic Policy.

patriotic                

Watch it and share your thoughts!

The debate aired live on C-SPAN, ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, all cable news channels including CNN, Fox News and MSNBC and via live stream at: 2012PresidentialElectionNews.com

votingReply here to tell us what you like about the candidates, what you don’t like, what you think about their stances on the issues, and whatever comes to mind!

And don't miss out on your chance to WIN a $25 gift card:
GIVEAWAY and POLL: Obama or Romney? Win a $25 gift card!!

Please join us again next week, October 11th at 9pm ET, for another great discussion as we watch the Vice Presidential debate on foreign and domestic policy, aired on the same networks and online.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Replies (961-970):
JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MamisAngels:

I feel Obama was a bit more wavering with his answers. Not very direct.
Romney had clear and strategic solutions for every question he was asked, as well as for his responses to Obama.

Cite three of Romney's solutions.  I thought it was funny how he started to list five ways he'd make economic improvements and only mentioned three which weren't really concrete changes so show me what I missed.

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Quoting Bookwormy:

Fine. Why were you assuming southern bigotry?
My points seem to escape you; I banked on her stereotype of the South to evoke a denial of being from the South and revelation of the state in which she lives but you also got caught in my snare and assumed I assumed she was southern.  She could have even been indignant and said something about how not all southerners are bigoted or racist and told me how everyone is equal in her southern town.  That's happened a time or two in here. I didn't just assume she was southern.  Do you now understand?  I was trying to ascertain where gma lived.  THEN I would have shared my impression of the way blacks are treated in her state or city.  I hope that clarifies things for you.
Perhaps it had nothing to do with bigotry.
Oh, it did.  Based on what else would anyone say something so ridiculous as the President was going to damage the world especially poor people?  I can't imagine how she believed he'd be able to damage the world but I guess she figured he'd damage poor people by doing too much for them instead of forcing them to get off entitlement programs (as if there's no such thing as the working poor).  Such a statement is not based on the President's demeanor nor is it based on any way he's behaved. He's a scholar who's spent appreciable time helping poor people and has donated more money than you and I will make in 10 years to charitable organizations.  It was a ridiculous thing to say that could only be attributed to outright bigoted beliefs about the man based on nothing else but his physical appearance.  Not all gma's fault; she'd fallen victim to what she's heard bigoted people say.  We see the bigoted writings of those people in here every day.  Very old people are so impressionable, easily cheated and misled.  Just like the very young.
Perhaps (apparently) nothing to do with being from the south.
Well, we know where angduse1 lives (it took a lot of restraint not to type angdouche1 in an un-grown-up-like way, heh) but we have yet to learn where gma grew up or where her parents grew up but the point is moot; the north is no better than the south where racism and bigotry is concerned and based on which cities one uses in comparison, Northerners can be more bigoted and racist than Southerners.  I meant to make that fact plain in prior replies but I see I haven't.
If you don't like the phrase cognitive distortion, then thinking error.
Better.  Much less pretentious and pseudo-intellectual.
I stick with assumption because you were assuming.
You assumed I assumed.  Stop trying so hard to make tushes of us!  LOL!
Its all over your post that you assumed it was about Obama being Black.
Nope, it wasn't.  I asked questions, posed hypotheticals and gave her opportunities to explain her assertions.  It's a means of communications and getting information that is apparently unfamiliar to you.
Later you judged her grandmother for not being as educated as O. I didn't assume anything.
Yes, you assumed.  I asked if her grandmother was ever magna cum laude.  If she had said she was, I'd have been impressed and congratulated her gma.  I totally believe women can be magna cum laude but I made an educated guess that at 89, gma would have become college age in 1940 and therefore grew up in an era when most women who went to college only did so to major in an easy course like home economics so they could meet men to marry who would go into good-paying professions and who could afford to take good care of them in the manners in which they intended to become accustomed.
I asked you why you assumed, based on what you wrote, not on assumptions but on writings.
You assumed.  Admit it.  You're only human.
I wrote racist only because you made reference to race first.
How many times do I have to say this?  Making reference to race is not racist nor is it "accusing" anyone of racism.  There you go assuming or erroneously concluding based on YOUR way of thinking, not based on MY way of thinking.
Of course I know other forms of bigotry exist. I'm a queer Jewish woman living in TX, LOL!
My sincerest sympathy on living in the state of TX yet I have to say that you'd still be treated with more respect and given more benefit of the doubt in housing and employement than Obama would if he wasn't famous.  It's still more suspicious and unacceptable to be black than to be a white, gay, female Jew but please, let's not get into a "We have it worse in America" pissing match.

I have every right to ask why you did what you did.
Never said you didn't, Ms. Unnecessarily Combative.
You sont like it, PM intead of public post.
Heh.  You REALLY don't know me.  I enjoy a good, juicy public debate where I get to spank people like you.  I enjoy people challenging me who mistakenly believe, for some reason known only to you, that you MUST be smarter or better debaters than I.  It's never been the case, dearie.  There may be more learned people on CM than I, but no one's a better debater and no one's more intelligent nor a better researcher than I.  Except maybe Della.  That woman researches better than anyone. 

ninastone
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I am not talking about television. I am talking about personal life experience and dialogue with Obama supporters. Nobody from either party gets up on TV and talks about his skin color, whether it is asserting, like tpickle, that people dislike him because of it, saying it makes him better, or saying it is why he has failed in his first 4 years... because it really doesn't matter.  Why and to whom is it an issue? I don't understand how it is even slightly relevant to the election, his policies, my vote, his campaign, etc. Mehh...

I proofread. Thank you for the advice though.

Quoting AGals:

Your kidding me right? First and for most who are you speaking of when you say ”you people” maybe you should proof read before you post. Second, of course no one is going to get on national television and talk negatively about the color of the presidents skin. Why would they want to expose themselves? Fact of the matter is, it's still an issue so lets not flip the script here.

Quoting ninastone:

You know, in my personal expirience, I have only ever heard Obama supporters mention the color of his skin. I think it is you people who can't get over it.

Quoting tpickle:

Well, I doubt if Obama can have a fair shot tonight, this country is still so divided and thats the way the Republicans like it.  The 47% comments proves that.   Republicans are sighting Reagan over and over again, claiming he won the election because of his debate success.  Hope is running high for Romney, they expect a miracle and they just may  think they see one tonight (II see a smart Romney).   Obama is healing the economy already, but people just can't see past the color of his skin.  I just hope there are a majority of Americans voting who can understand the truth.  I hope!

CafeMom Tickers
AGals
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM
It shouldn't be an issue, but it is. I worked at a predominately white college and a lot of the students told me their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc told them that if they voted for Obama they would disown them, and they admitted it was because of the color of his skin.

Quoting ninastone:

I am not talking about television. I am talking about personal life experience and dialogue with Obama supporters. Nobody from either party gets up on TV and talks about his skin color, whether it is asserting, like tpickle, that people dislike him because of it, saying it makes him better, or saying it is why he has failed in his first 4 years... because it really doesn't matter.  Why and to whom is it an issue? I don't understand how it is even slightly relevant to the election, his policies, my vote, his campaign, etc. Mehh...

I proofread. Thank you for the advice though.

Quoting AGals:

Your kidding me right? First and for most who are you speaking of when you say ”you people” maybe you should proof read before you post. Second, of course no one is going to get on national television and talk negatively about the color of the presidents skin. Why would they want to expose themselves? Fact of the matter is, it's still an issue so lets not flip the script here.

Quoting ninastone:

You know, in my personal expirience, I have only ever heard Obama supporters mention the color of his skin. I think it is you people who can't get over it.

Quoting tpickle:

Well, I doubt if Obama can have a fair shot tonight, this country is still so divided and thats the way the Republicans like it.  The 47% comments proves that.   Republicans are sighting Reagan over and over again, claiming he won the election because of his debate success.  Hope is running high for Romney, they expect a miracle and they just may  think they see one tonight (II see a smart Romney).   Obama is healing the economy already, but people just can't see past the color of his skin.  I just hope there are a majority of Americans voting who can understand the truth.  I hope!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting MamisAngels:

Romney had clear and strategic solutions for every question he was asked, as well as for his responses to Obama.

Cite three of Romney's solutions.  I thought it was funny how he started to list five ways he'd make economic improvements and only mentioned three which weren't really concrete changes so show me what I missed.

I would like to hear some of those answers myself, I did not hear them being counted out last night during the debate:/  I think some are mistaking aggressive talk with substance?? 

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Right?  high five  Equated aggression, rudeness, ignoring the rules, talking over and interrupting the moderator and the President and insistence on having things his own way as impressive, Presidential and winning behavior.  Cheese and crackers!

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting MamisAngels:

I would like to hear some of those answers myself, I did not hear them being counted out last night during the debate:/  I think some are mistaking aggressive talk with substance?? 

Angie_O
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That's interesting as it calls Obama out on his exagerations too. =)

Quoting Billiejeens:

You may or you may not know that "factchecker is a tool used by the Democratic party - a little biased.

Quoting Angie_O:

I love how fact checker is pretty much pointing out that much of what Romney said is False! =)

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to say Thank You to your son for serving in the Marines.  I have a cousin who currently serves in the Army.  I thank our Service Men and Women every day for fighting for our freedom, and more specifically the freedom to write on these boards.

Quoting angduse1:

I personally don't know enough about Romney to say he lies or not.. BUT I know Obama has lied for years.. I remember some of his promises.. Promises he should have kept.. We lost a lot of Good men over there.. Men that could have became great presidents one day.. if given the chance, but sadly will never get to.. why because they were expendable... Well Thank God my son made it home.. but so many that went over with him did not.. I still mourn for them.. and I will never forget Obama saying he was gonna end this war and bring them back... He needed to stick with that statement.. then I would vote for him again... Not now.. Personally I don't think Obama or Romney has what it takes

Not until they went through what my son did over there.. Then and only then will I consider them wise enough to lead our country... This is from a mother of a Marine and true leader.. Not a politician rich spoiled baby wanna be president... Bet he never went without food to the point of finding a Goat on the trail wishing his chain of command would grant him permission to slaughter it for supper.. Or finding a turkey from one of the locals...only to have higher ups come by and take Thanksgiving dinner.. while the little guy had to eat yet another MRE....That barely sustained your belly after a 18 hour watch..Or knowing he or anyone of the men he is serving with could be the next to die that day.. so forget your belly.. Want to tell me any one of these men deserve a chance to be president,, when they have never endured not one bit of hardship or heart ache.. SO.. put anyone of the men that served with my son up there .. then I will vote for the right man.. And that man will make this world a better place.. because he has endured,, knows what it feels like to go hungary.. BUT that will never happen will it.. Cause we will continue to vote for assists..not men....

Quoting 7SportsMom7:

Okay ... and Romeny lied about what in the debate?

Quoting angduse1:

What a Joke.. they all lie.. I remember Obama saying he was bringing our boys back from IRAQ.. before he even took office.. Then I remember a mother standing outside the white house steps asking why he lied and now her son was dead... He not only kept them over there. but started another War in Alfghanistan.. Where is his lies.. did you all forget them.. Guess so.

Quoting 7SportsMom7:

You are right, Obama stuck to what he believes and our Country is in horrible condition because of it!  Hopefully the rose colored glasses will come off many.

What did Romney flat out lie about?

Quoting Aleta775:

I think that if you look at what each candidate said alone, that Obama won. He was consistent in everything he said, and he stuck to everything that he has been saying all along. Romney on the other hand, lied. Romney, flat out lied and suddenly said a bunch of different things that he has not been saying all along.

However, I think that when you look at body language and tone of voice, Romney won. Sadly, I think that body language is all that people are going to take away from this debate. Which is sad because there was a lot more going on than the way they looked at each other.

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I understand what you are looking for ... in such a short amount of time, I think each of them can only get out talking points.  I do think Romney gave more information than he has so hopefully he will expand further.  On the other hand, Obama said nothing more than "hope and change" last election (people were looking for that) and I think his "plans" going forward are the just the same.  Doesn't work for me.

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting 7SportsMom7:

I think what he said is a very clear start and the rest of it comes with - the best part - he is actually going to sit down with Congress and work with them to make the best decisions for us.  That's what leaders do.  That's why I believe he is successful.

What Obama has done as not worked and I didn't hear one thing different going forward.  I haven't understood him for the last four years.

Yeah, but I think that the least Romney could do is lay out some defined plans, instead depending on these nebulous ideas. Then when he has to sit down with Congress, I'm sure that he will need to tweak and change those plans, but that's just how it is. To me, it is a little weird to not have anything solid for people to review and discuss. Just give us SOMETHING more to chew on, you know? By not providing us with more concrete mathematics of how he is going to magically correct all of this, I just can't put a lot of confidence in Romney. It makes me feel like he has grand ideas (that in theory might be great), then he is crossing his fingers that plans and solid frame works can be created by someone else, so that he can lay the blame on someone else if it doesn't pan out. 

angduse1
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Geez JONJON is right... This guy always wants his way and seems to get it too.... Much like JONJON herself.... WOW.. Guess it is time to change my vote...cause I want a man that is good,kind and not full of himself...We are all equal under God's eyes.. and that is what I was taught..

The reason I did not waste my time with all your Weird Questions is because I thought this was a debate concering the candidates.. I was not debating.. all I said was My Grandmother and many old people are wiser then the president...He has not lived long enough to say so.. and in 10 years I am guessing he will say the same concerning his age back when he was president....I know he is smart.. but as another old person told me once..

You can be the smartest cookie in the whole box does not mean you have any sense.. I believe he was refering to Common sense.....I really appreciated him and his common sense.. He used it well.. I only want a president that does the same..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN