Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you feel about the fact, that Romney got caught on tape, saying that 47% of us, don't want to work, want the government to take care of us. He said we think we are victims. The 47% won't take responsibility for our own lives.He is talking about most of us on cafemom, unless you are rich. How do you feel about what he said, and do you think it will hurt him on election day?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Replies (131-136):
idee
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I don't know but I think it showed how he really feels about people and that he can't relate to people either. So  I am not voting for him.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

The kicker is taking what he said in context. You can hold on to the 47% that don't pay taxes. It is no different than someone holding on Obama saying 'You didn't build that!' But, you go ahead and be offended. Because you can't fix stupid.

Audience member: For the last three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." How are you going to do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've got to take care of yourself?

Romney: There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48—he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people—I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like. I mean, when you ask those people…we do all these polls—I find it amazing—we poll all these people, see where you stand on the polls, but 45 percent of the people will go with a Republican, and 48 or 4…

[Recording stops.]

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/full-transcript-mitt-romney-secret-video

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

My answer didn't cut it? LOL!! Or is it just too hard for you to comprehend? Did I add words that are too big for you to read?

I am sorry. I don't know what percentage will vote for Obama. However, I do agree that there are people that feel that they are entitled and those people will vote for Obama.

Quoting mommom2000:

Yeah, but Romney did, so where is the truth in his statement that is so hard to hear?  Your answer didn't cut it. So I'm asking you what percent of people feel that way and will only vote for Obama? Romney said 47% where is the truth's?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

I know. It must be hard for you to keep up. I didn't add a number.

Quoting mommom2000:

You think this is 47% of America? Do you realize 9 out of the 10 states that receive the most government assistance are red states.  Your theory is wrong.  Do you think 47% of Americans are this way?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

I have copied the truth of his statement....

"There are people who will vote for the president no matter what. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Quoting mommom2000:

Truth really, can you please elaborate which part of his comment is truth. I would love to hear it.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Sometimes the truth is very painful.

You may be right but Romney said that was the 47% who don't pay Fed income taxes. That is what is offensive. We all know there are moochers who will do anything short of actual work to get by but Romney saying that 47% of people are like that is wrong and ignorant.

Plenty of active and retired military don't pay Fed income taxes and I'm sure some of them are planning on voting for Romney

What context am I missing? I've read the whole thing repeatedly because I was sure I misunderstood. Romney believe that the 47% of people who don't pay Fed taxes are moochers and in the tank for Obama. It's ignorant BS.

I've also read Obama's comments in full and the sound bite the right is using does take them out of context. Obama didn't say no one built their business.

I'm no fan of Obama and likely not voting for him so deflecting to his comments is pointless. Your attempted insults don't make me want to read or take you seriously either. Just sayin.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Friday
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Those that need and are dependant on the government as a temporary plan may very well vote for Romney. I don't know. But, those that use the government as their sugar daddy will not vote for Romney. As I had posted, Romney was referring to those that do not want to take care of themselves. If you take the whole speech in context, like we need to for Uncle Barry, you would see that.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

I have not said that it was truth about the 47%. I said it was true that people who are dependant on the government will vote for Obama. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Yes, I do.

Why didn't you answer my questions?

You didn't have to post a number. That statement is taken from Romney's 47% speech.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Do you not realize that I never posted a number?

Quoting AdellesMom:

You didn't post the truth.

Do you not realize that many of the 47% aren't lazy moochers at all? Do you not realize that Romney dissed members of his own party?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

I know. It must be hard for you to keep up. I didn't add a number.

Quoting mommom2000:

You think this is 47% of America? Do you realize 9 out of the 10 states that receive the most government assistance are red states.  Your theory is wrong.  Do you think 47% of Americans are this way?

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

I have copied the truth of his statement....

"There are people who will vote for the president no matter what. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Quoting mommom2000:

Truth really, can you please elaborate which part of his comment is truth. I would love to hear it.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Sometimes the truth is very painful.

You don't think there's anyone on PA or some sort of govt assistance that will vote for Romney?

Seriously?

Just keep spinning, Romney said what he said. I've read the full context and it changes nothing. If he hadn't used the 47% number I'd feel differently but he did and it was ignorant.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

GagaNTattooS
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Neither am I.

Quoting Simmeringhearts:

Exactly. My point was not the number. But, the truth that those who have no problem getting a handout because they feel the government owes them, they will be voting for Uncle Barry. And I am not referring to the elderly, veterans or disabled. Neither was Romney.

Quoting GagaNTattooS:

His number might be high but I think in a way he is right. We see it all the time on here

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I think he might have the percentage of people, but I see some truth in what he said.  There are people in every society that are that way. I don't know that it will hurt him.

Simmeringhearts
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I seriously doubt it will hurt him. Those that are 'offended' probably are among those that he was referring to and they can't handle the truth staring them in the face. Oh well. Can't fix stupid and I am done trying to have a conversation with stupid.

Quoting etsmom:

I think he might have the percentage of people, but I see some truth in what he said.  There are people in every society that are that way. I don't know that it will hurt him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)