Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Nope, no racism here

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 41 Replies
3 moms liked this

In a video obtained exclusively by The Daily Caller, then-presidential candidate Barack Obama tells an audience of black ministers, including the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, that the U.S. government shortchanged Hurricane Katrina victims because of racism.

The racially charged and at times angry speech undermines Obama’s carefully-crafted image as a leader eager to build bridges between ethnic groups. For nearly 40 minutes, using an accent he almost never adopts in public, Obama describes a racist, zero-sum society, in which the white majority profits by exploiting black America. The mostly black audience shouts in agreement. The effect is closer to an Al Sharpton rally than a conventional campaign event.

In the prepared version distributed to reporters, Obama’s speech ends this way:

“America is going to survive. We won’t forget where we came from. We won’t forget what happened 19 months ago, 15 years ago, thousands of years ago.”

That’s not what he actually said. Before the audience at Hampton, Obama ends his speech this way:

“America will survive. Just like black folks will survive. We won’t forget where we came from. We won’t forget what happened 19 months ago, or 15 years ago, or 300 years ago.”

Three hundred years ago. It’s a reference the audience understood.

videos included at link

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/02/obama-speech-jeremiah-wright-new-orleans/3/

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chipperer1ca
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM
12 moms liked this

But Carpy....only white Republicans are racist, remember? ;)

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting chipperer1ca:

But Carpy....only white Republicans are racist, remember? ;)

...and black republicans are labelled as "Uncle Toms".

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM
4 moms liked this
Oh brother. I have watched the video. That's not what he said.

This is what he said: "Look at what happened in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast when Katrina hit. People ask me whether I thought race was the reason the response was so slow. I said, "No. This Administration was colorblind in its incompetence."

So, he thought that it was because of racism. Then, he looked at it again and realized that the government was "colorblind in its incompetence." There's NO racism in that. My goodness.

Anti-Obama camp members (general) love to call things racist that are not racist. They (general) also love to tell blacks how they should perceive certain things. I think it's funny because I am black.

The right wing Daily Caller hardly counts as an objective and truthful source. I mean, they're heavily biased and they just lied in the article that was posted. I mean, they edited what he said. LOL

People really shouldn't post things that are so easy to disprove.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimamab
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM
7 moms liked this
He's not allowed to speak to black people about the black history and experience in this country? Sounds like he's not the one who's racist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
9 moms liked this

Did you watch the unedited video?  Apparently not.

Quoting AdellesMom:

This is what he said: "Look at what happened in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast when Katrina hit. People ask me whether I thought race was the reason the response was so slow. I said, "No. This Administration was colorblind in its incompetence."

So, he thought that it was because of racism. Then, he looked at it again and realized that the government was "colorblind in its incompetence." There's NO racism in that. My goodness.

Anti-Obama camp members (general) love to call things racist that are not racist. They (general) also love to tell blacks how they should perceive certain things. I think it's funny because I am black.

The right wing Daily Caller hardly counts as an objective and truthful source. I mean, they're heavily biased and they just lied in the article that was posted. I mean, they edited what he said. LOL

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Can't watch the video, but if what is written in the OP is the worst of it, I'm not reading any racism there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AdellesMom:

I was going to ask her what is racists about this video?  I did not see it, but apparently only blacks and minorities see racsim in everything, oh wait the op is not a minority but now sees racism in everything, no not possible. 

Mandi1215
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM
7 moms liked this

Ugh!  He's so fake I can't stand it.  He's a showman, he performs, anyone looking at that can not say that he is not "put on".  Seriously, give me someone genuine, I don't care if they are boring, just don't be a fake!

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
LOL!

The only seemingly racist train of thought I see is coming from those that claim that his speech was racist.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting AdellesMom:

I was going to ask her what is racists about this video?  I did not see it, but apparently only blacks and minorities see racsim in everything, oh wait the op is not a minority but now sees racism in everything, no not possible. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Is that all you have? LOL

Reading comprehension skills are golden. Obviously, you completely ignored my first sentence.

The unedited video is no longer available on the internet (YouTube.) It was taken down. I won't watch a video from the Daily Caller because of their obvious bias and hatred for anything Obama.

Yes, I have watched a video. I also copied and pasted what he said. Saying that I haven't watched the video because I have a different opinion (errr...truth) than you do is illogical. But, you love to spew illogical ideologies.

I think it's funny when white people think that blacks should be upset over something they shouldn't be upset over. It's hilarious.

Quoting Carpy:

Did you watch the unedited video?  Apparently not.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)