Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Who WON the debate? **Poll**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Who do you think won the debate?

Options:

Obama

Romney

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 182

View Results

What did you think of the debate? Who do you think won?
Share your thoughts in the replies below.
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Replies (51-60):
JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting notonepercenter:

Quoting LoveMyTrio:

I think Obama still has the smooth factor, but Romney came accross very passionate and genuine.  You can tell Romney knows his stuff.

"You can tell Romney knows 'his stuff'" - ok fine, but do you or anyone else know his stuff?  Did he give us a clear definition of his so called plans?  Specifically?  Not generally.  Generally speaking Romney performed well last night.  He took things that Obama commented on, agreed with him, then flipped it into some kind of generalization of how he would do it better.  That's not leadership.  Romney is very passionate, I agree, but about what?  For whom?  Genuine?  Far from it!  He threw bread crumbs to the masses last night to appease them.  Republicans have desperately been waiting for him to appear the way they want him to appear.  They got a taste of that last night.  Today, they celebrate not because they were given a clear concise alternative to Obama, they celebrate because their shiny politician didn't have to answer for his gaffs of recent history.  (47% ring a bell?)  Afterwards, they were able to breathe a sigh of relief and to them I'm sure that feels like a victory.     

clapping Very well stated.

I couldn't tell "Romney knew his stuff" but I could tell he was very well rehearsed.

msjoecool
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

If someone else writes the words he is to say and if he reads them off the teleprompter.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Romney was strong, energetic, confident, warm - Obama seemed off his game, irritated. I'm surprised, because he's usually such a good speaker.

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Right.  Here's what people don't seem to understand:  In order for the states to do what the Feds do they will have to ask the Feds for more money (taxpayer money) or they will have to raise state taxes on gas, booze, general sales, property and may even impose state income taxes.  My state does not have an income tax and I'd like it to stay that way and I'd like to see the sales taxes go down while we're at it.  Either way, the people are the ones who are going to pay for state programs that supposedly benefit people.

Quoting sallys452001:

What did Romney say his plans were? To burden the states with what is now the responsibility of the federal government for the states to have to raise taxes on to keep or do away with. This is not. Responsible solution to our problems. His plans sound like the Bush plans. Only worse. If we are not planning on war then why build the military? His solutions do not make much sense. I guess when that's your plan you can only try to tear down the president and hope people don't ask you what you would do better.

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That which you wrote is called an incomplete thought.

Quoting msjoecool:

If someone else writes the words he is to say and if he reads them off the teleprompter.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Romney was strong, energetic, confident, warm - Obama seemed off his game, irritated. I'm surprised, because he's usually such a good speaker.

msjoecool
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

No.  My thought was complete.  I bolded what I was adding on to.  @@

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting msjoecool:

Quoting SallyMJ:

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I do think Obama had off night. But he was very clear. I personally never watch debates because they talk so fast and I never can understand what they say. Obama thought about what he was going to say before he said it. 

I couldn't understand 90% of what Romney was saying. He was speaking so fast. Like if he didn't spit it out he would forget what he was going to say in the first place. Romney seem like an ass. He had a grin that I wanted to slap right off his fast. It is the same kind of grin that my husband gets when we are arguing and he thinks he is pushing the right buttons to piss me off. 

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I had the same thought.

Quoting shimamab:

I hope his team talks to O about his nodding while R spoke. I'm pretty sure he was just doing it to acknowledge he was paying attention while taking notes, but it made it look like he was agreeing with R.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Yea was boring. Where is their passion? Their voice?

Quoting shimamab:

I thought it was flat on both sides. Hoping for a better debate next time.

Jules6000
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this

People who use "God" to further their own agenda scare me. It seems artificial.  I don't know who won the debate, but they both gave me a few things to think about.  For example, when Bush came into office, we had a significant surplus, and when he left, we did not...(of couse I know that statistic is debateable:)  but the unempoyment rate was also at it's lowest at 4.2% when Bush came into office.  A lot of things changed in those 8 years.  If Romney can make a healthcare system work in MA, I 'd like to see it everywhere.  I did not hear a lot of straight talk from Romney.  I thought Obama was respectful.  

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oh, you're right, I missed the bolded segment.  I figured that's what you were saying but I needed to be sure before I told you that that, "He can't talk unless someone writes his words and puts it on a teleprompter" blarney is old and played out but are you confused?  Isn't it supposed to be that the President can't even read a teleprompter which is why he sometimes misspeaks that the inRomniacs like to parrot ad nauseum?  :) 

Quoting msjoecool:

No.  My thought was complete.  I bolded what I was adding on to.  @@

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting msjoecool:

Quoting SallyMJ:

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting JonJon:

I know that for the wrong people, the fact the President won is not obvious because he was deliberately understated and modest. 

I have confidence in the President.  He's a lawyer and a darned good one.  He knows what he's doing; there's a method to that madness.  One can strategically forfeit a battle as one might forfeit a chess piece and still win the war as a chess master who deliberately forfeits valuable chess pieces wins a game of chess. And obviously the majority of Americans understand this strategy because most play chess on a regular basis?

Never forget Obama is a master of the game I agree with you!! He is a master at the game!!or he would never have become the first black US President.  As the old song goes, "It's not where you start, it's where you finish."  The Prez is a master closer.  Watch and be amazed. Can't wait!!

Based on Romney's happily and disrespectfully informing Jim Lehrer he intends to put him, Big Bird and thousands of people who work for PBS out of their jobs (an odd thing to say when trying to convince people you care Americans have work and will CREATE jobs), I thought the following performance appropro.  Enjoy your "victory" while it lasts which won't be long, Mitt. There are going to have to be sacrifices made for the greater good. I like that he's being forthcoming. It would have been nice if Obama had warned us that it was going to get really bad and not get any better. Oh, but then no one would have voted for him, oh wait, yes they would have. lol!!

I love that you embedded your replies.  I'd rather overestimate than underestimate the intelligence of people and I believe most know what it is to sacrifice a chess piece in order to win a game of chess.

BTW:  Don't you want to ask if I've been in another group under another name?  I hear you mistook someone else as being me using another sn.  I've never heard of her and though she may have heard of me because I'm so (in)famous, I'm guessing she had no idea who I am. 

I'm rather insulted you mistook someone else for me as I am one of a kind and the only other person who could have possibly been mistaken for me because she was so bodacious has passed.

I've never mentioned you by name in any other group but then, I don't think of you until you make the mistake of approaching me in ways such as this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN