Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

First Presidential Face Off Is Debatable

Posted by   + Show Post

At my house, watching a presidential debate ranks right up there with the season finale of American Idol. Before the show got started, I made myself a little snack, homemade guac and ginger ale, and I settled on the couch with my laptop so that I could take notes and follow tweets of celebs like Anderson Cooper and comedian Sandra Bernhard. Even though my daughter was yelling at me from upstairs to blow dry her hair for school tomorrow, I was too mesmerized by the lines on the bottom of my television screen that looked like the EKG of a deceased person. It was actually a play-by-play interpretation of the viewer’s reaction to the speeches. I should have known this debate would fall flat.

Let’s face it, sometimes the anticipation of a big event is greater than the moment itself, and tonight’s political face off was one of those letdowns. I mean, the build up reminded me of a red carpet pre show on E!, and I was even expecting Ryan Seacrest to interview Ann Romney and the first lady backstage.

By the way, I loved their advice to their husbands before the candidates took the stage.

Ann: “Trust your own gut.”

Michelle: “Have fun, relax, and be yourself.”

Sure, easy for them to say.

Anyway, the debate started off interestingly enough when the president wished his “sweetie” a happy twentieth wedding anniversary and told her, “One year from now we won’t be celebrating with 20 million people watching.” Even Mitt Romney felt obligated to extend congratulations to his opponent.

After those niceties, I thought I would witness a real showdown, but neither candidate hardly made eye contact and both smirked at each other’s comments. Surprisingly, the Republican nominee blew away many viewers with his obvious preparedness and specifics about an economic recovery plan that included a $5 trillion tax cut. Personally, I thought he came across rude and disrespectful to nice guy moderator Jim Lehrer, a seasoned journalist who has hosted this gig for 12 years. Meanwhile, President Obama looked half asleep with his eyes closed (he was actually looking down while writing notes to himself, I hope) and didn’t bring much new to the table even though his educational incentives that include the “Race to the Top” program always impresses.  One thing that kept me busy was when I tried to count how many times the candidates blinked their eyes per minute because a study shows that excessive blinking is a sign of nervousness and usually indicates who loses the election.

Finally, I was expecting some real zingers, quotable one-liners that usually highlight these 90-minute showdowns other than Romney’s rant about how he “loves Big Bird.”

What was your memorable moment of the debate?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Replies (81-89):
BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Please give an EXAMPLE of how Romney was disrespectful.  If you read any commentary on the debate, you will find that part of his succes last night was because he was extremely respectful

Second, Romney never said he did not care about the 47% of people who pay no federal tax.  He said he did not expect to win their vote. 

Finally, Romney has paid his taxes.  Three times, actually.  First when he made the money, second on state taxes, and third on capital gains.  What Romney has paid has zip-all to do with anything.

Quoting AGals:

Bow? No, unlike Romney said, we don't expect hand outs. Romney was disrespectful like I said. And he lied, did you not see him lying? He completely changed up his words? First he doesn't care for 47% of Americans, then he does? Right! We aren't stupid here so stop treating us as if we are. Pay your damn taxes!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Interesting group you have there.

The only two on that list that are running to be President are Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.

The others are running for some self gratification, or some narcissistic reason, maybe just the publicity and the donors monies, I don't know all their intimate reasons.

But if any of them think that they can actually win, they are too mentally unstable to ever be sworn in.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Here's a link: 

http://www.politics1.com/p2012.htm

Quoting Billiejeens:

Well I heard 2 opponents that were diametrically opposed myself.

One seemed Presidential and one looked lost without his prompter.

Yes, please!

Quoting rachelrothchild:

They always say the same crap.  Would you like a list of everyone who is going to be on the ballot?

Quoting Billiejeens:

I don't think that we knew what they were going to say, obviously if we did Barack would have been better prepared (I think) for the shellacking he took.

Those are the only two running.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

You know what each is going to say before they say it.  It's a disgraceful pissing match, and honestly, I'm only interested in a debate that includes every candidate who is running for president.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

We were so sickened, we turned it off after 15 minutes.

Because it was clear that Obama wasn't going to resign in disgrace?

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I liked it all. Everything I suspected would happen did happen. Obama had nothing on Romney.

" I thought I would witness a real showdown, but neither candidate hardly made eye contact and both smirked at each other’s comments. Surprisingly, the Republican nominee blew away many viewers with his obvious preparedness and specifics about an economic recovery plan that included a $5 trillion tax cut. Personally, I thought he came across rude and disrespectful to nice guy moderator Jim Lehrer, a seasoned journalist who has hosted this gig for 12 years."

Actually if you really watched it you would see that Romney looked at Obama most of the time he was talking unless he was directly speaking to the moderator. If he wasn't looking Obama in the eye it's becaused Obama had his head down.

It's Romneys plan and of course he should know all about it and the fact that it DIDN'T  include 5 trillion in tax breaks. Aside from Obama repeating his 5 trillion tax cut mantra(repetition, a liberal tactic)3 times he didn't have any proof that it was fact.

Lehrer is an old codger and only gets to moderate because he is one of the most senior journalists and he has done it every election forever. There has never been a debater where the moderator could keep the candidates from finishing their answers.  The way they did this debate was a waste of time and just led to tit for tat among the candidates. Obama kept saying the same thing 3 times in a row so Romney had to give the facts 3 times. A total waste of time.  As far as being nasty to the moderator it was Obama who snapped at him for wasting his "5 seconds".  Romney didn't snap at him at all. He merely stated that he should be able to address the things Obama was saying.  I have no problem with that especially since the left wing moderators aften cut the conservative candidate off.   If they wanted fair they would make these things twice as long so the candidate could get out more information.  The simple facts are that Obama wasn't all there in spirit or fact. His problem is that he has nothing good to say and telling the truth is no better because it's all bad news. Romney had a counter for every accusation Obama had.

rachelrothchild
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Gee, how nice of you to say that.  Brainwashed much?  I'm going to stop bothering with you.  It's a waste of time.

Quoting Billiejeens:

The only two on that list that are running to be President are Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.

The others are running for some self gratification, or some narcissistic reason, maybe just the publicity and the donors monies, I don't know all their intimate reasons.

But if any of them think that they can actually win, they are too mentally unstable to ever be sworn in.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Here's a link: 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yes, please!

Quoting rachelrothchild:

They always say the same crap.  Would you like a list of everyone who is going to be on the ballot?

Quoting Billiejeens:

I don't think that we knew what they were going to say, obviously if we did Barack would have been better prepared (I think) for the shellacking he took.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

You know what each is going to say before they say it.  It's a disgraceful pissing match, and honestly, I'm only interested in a debate that includes every candidate who is running for president.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

While  promoting someone who will not get 3% of the vote is a fabulous use of time and resources!

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Gee, how nice of you to say that.  Brainwashed much?  I'm going to stop bothering with you.  It's a waste of time.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Here's a link: 

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yes, please!

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Quoting itsmesteph11:

I liked it all. Everything I suspected would happen did happen. Obama had nothing on Romney.

" I thought I would witness a real showdown, but neither candidate hardly made eye contact and both smirked at each other’s comments. Surprisingly, the Republican nominee blew away many viewers with his obvious preparedness and specifics about an economic recovery plan that included a $5 trillion tax cut. Personally, I thought he came across rude and disrespectful to nice guy moderator Jim Lehrer, a seasoned journalist who has hosted this gig for 12 years."

Actually if you really watched it you would see that Romney looked at Obama most of the time he was talking unless he was directly speaking to the moderator. If he wasn't looking Obama in the eye it's becaused Obama had his head down.

It's Romneys plan and of course he should know all about it and the fact that it DIDN'T  include 5 trillion in tax breaks. Aside from Obama repeating his 5 trillion tax cut mantra(repetition, a liberal tactic)3 times he didn't have any proof that it was fact.

Lehrer is an old codger and only gets to moderate because he is one of the most senior journalists and he has done it every election forever. There has never been a debater where the moderator could keep the candidates from finishing their answers.  The way they did this debate was a waste of time and just led to tit for tat among the candidates. Obama kept saying the same thing 3 times in a row so Romney had to give the facts 3 times. A total waste of time.  As far as being nasty to the moderator it was Obama who snapped at him for wasting his "5 seconds".  Romney didn't snap at him at all. He merely stated that he should be able to address the things Obama was saying.  I have no problem with that especially since the left wing moderators aften cut the conservative candidate off.   If they wanted fair they would make these things twice as long so the candidate could get out more information.  The simple facts are that Obama wasn't all there in spirit or fact. His problem is that he has nothing good to say and telling the truth is no better because it's all bad news. Romney had a counter for every accusation Obama had.

I would disagree with that. What we saw last night was the real Obama, he was there, that was him.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

oh, you mean that Romney talked to him just like the Liberal Media should have been doing all along so that he would have been better prepared?  Obama has been coddled during his entire 4 years.  It is now at the level of corruption.

Quoting AGals:

Yea right, Romney totally disrespected him. He was in shock.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Obama has finally been challenged and couldn't hide behind the media.  He has been protected by the media all of these years and finally had to answer some tough questions in which he did not have any answers.  This is the true Obama that some of us knew existed: Full of smoke and mirrors.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

That is ok....I noticed the way she leaned by the biased report.....lol

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

I concur!!

However, the OP leans left, so I doubt your response will go down well.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Obama has finally been challenged and couldn't hide behind the media.  He has been protected by the media all of these years and finally had to answer some tough questions in which he did not have any answers.  This is the true Obama that some of us knew existed: Full of smoke and mirrors.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

On Wednesday night, Mitt Romney was respectful of Barack Obama when Barack Obama challenged him. Mitt Romney looked Barack Obama in the eye when Barack Obama challenged Romney. He kept a smiling demeanor to his challenge in the room.

Wednesday night, Mitt Romney was the challenge in the room for Barack Obama and Barack Obama would not look at him. Barack Obama kept his head down, eyes fixed on his podium. This is a metaphor for the entirety of Barack Obama’s Presidency.

Mr. Obama does not make eye contact with the challenges he faces. He looks down or away.

He came into the White House to dire fiscal times. No one denies it. But Barack Obama declared a recovery in June of 2009. Instead of looking the challenge in the eyes and staring it down, Barack Obama declared it no longer a problem and pivoted to healthcare. Even as the fiscal storm raged, Barack Obama said it turned out to be worse than he and his advisors expected, but he wouldn’t make eye contact with the problem. He set about destroying our healthcare system instead in the name of reform.

In 2010, the Deepwater Horizon exploded off shore. It took the President almost two months to look the challenge in the eyes, address the nation, and tell us what he was going to do. In the meantime, his administration overreacted doing untold harm to the Gulf Coast economy. Still, the President refused to meet the challenge of our economic situation, pivoting from health care to Solyndra.

Now, we have another challenge. The Middle East is in chaos and our Ambassador is dead. The Presidential campaign went from “Osama is dead and Al Qaeda is on the run” to “Al Qaeda is alive and our Ambassador assassinated.” But the President refused to face this challenge too. Instead, he blamed a YouTube video. We now know the President and his administration knew of the security risk. We now know the President and his administration were pretty sure, within twenty-four hours of September 11th, that we had yet again been attacked by terrorists on September 11th.

But the President refused to look us or the problem in the eyes. As his Press Secretary, Secretary of State, and Defense chiefs were beginning to acknowledge it was a terrorist attack, Barack Obama still refused to make eye contact with the problem. He refused to even acknowledge it existed, hiding still behind a YouTube video.

I have reservations about Mitt Romney. I’m a conservative. Of course I do. They are well known. But make no mistake about it — Mitt Romney will make eye contact with the challenges of the day instead of looking away at a podium, a desk, or a distraction. I may not always agree with him, but at least I know I can trust him to make eye contact with the challenges of our day and set about solving them, not looking for easy distractions and fleeting glories.

Barack Obama won’t make eye contact with the challenges of the day and he won’t accept responsibility for having to deal with them. Nothing is his fault. Nothing is his blame. Only credit flows to Barack Obama. Now more people are out of the job market than any time since the Carter recession, our Ambassador to Libya is dead, and the black flag of Al Qaeda rises from our own flag poles at our own Embassies in the Middle East.

For five years the left has told us Barack Obama came off Mount Olympus to be our God-King. Now they say the elevation in Denver, lower than that of Olympus, was too high for him. The god-king of the Cult of Personality bleeds. Pay no attention to any of it. Make no eye contact with reality — not to him being merely a flawed man in over his head, not to our dead Ambassador, not to the unemployed, not to Al Qaeda’s black flag.

No, the god-King commands we pay attention to Big Bird and birth control — issues that, unlike Christopher Stevens and millions of unemployed, truly matter when staring down at the podium instead of making eye contact with the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)