Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Debate: AARP to Obama: Don’t mention us again

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

AARP to Obama: Don’t mention us again

President Obama invoked AARP to defend his health care law last night, prompting the influential group to release a statement telling him not to do that again.

“While we respect the rights of each campaign to make its case to voters, AARP has never consented to the use of its name by any candidate or political campaign,” the group posted in a statement. “AARP is a nonpartisan organization and we do not endorse political candidates nor coordinate with any candidate or political party.”

Obama can perhaps be forgiven for thinking he could mention AARP given how they coordinated with him to pass Obamacare, which is a golden goose for the organization.

“Thanks to its cuts to Medicare Advantage, Obamacare is expected to expand the number of seniors buying “medigap” supplemental insurance plans,” The Washington Examiner explained in an editorial. “AARP controls 34 percent of the market for such plans. According to a 2011 House Ways and Means Committee report, AARP stands to make between $55 million and $166 million from Obamacare in 2014 alone.”

http://blog.aarp.org/2012/10/04/aarps-statement-on-the-denver-presidential-debate/

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

1)  He didn't "defend" Obamacare, he explained what it is

2)  AARP didn't mention his name when it expressed it's policy of non-partisanship to be understood by anyone who reads it

3)  They didn't specifically request the President not refer to them

4)  AARP is not some greedy entity making money off insurance; it is a non-profit working on behalf of seniors.  I'd like to see proof of the allgegation.  If you don't have it, don't print it as fact

5)  This is obviously a post by a biased CM  of a biased "reporter" neither of whom concerned with truth and accuracy

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I think you have your facts wrong here. As Romney told PBO last night in the debate... You are not entitled to your own facts.

1. He DID defend O-Care

2. From the AARP web site last night... "While we respect the rights of each campaign to make its case to voters, AARP has never consented to the use of its name by any candidate or political campaign. AARP is a nonpartisan organization and we do not endorse political candidates nor coordinate with any candidate or political party."

3. See #2

4.From AARP's website under "Our Plans" https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/medicare-plans?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=810075&gclid=CNullNma6LICFQfonAodjTAA9Q

5. You are obviously going to believe in fantasy, so you go girl.

Quoting JonJon:

1)  He didn't "defend" Obamacare

2)  AARP didn't mention his name when it expressed it's policy of non-partisanship to be understood by anyone who reads it

3)  They didn't specifically request the President not use their name

4)  AARP is not some greedy entity making money off insurance

5)  Obviously a post by a biased CM  of a biased "reporter" neither of whom concerned with truth and accuracy

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

5)  Obviously a post by a biased CM  of a biased "reporter" neither of whom concerned with truth and accuracy

That's a strange post form you.

JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting JonJon:

That's a strange post form you.

You're right; I need to do some editing.  I hope I can find it without too much trouble.  Thanks.

JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I think you have your facts wrong here. As Romney told PBO last night in the debate... You are not entitled to your own facts.

1. He DID defend O-Care

No, he corrected Romney's attempts to corrupt what Obamacare is.

2. From the AARP web site last night... "While we respect the rights of each campaign to make its case to voters, AARP has never consented to the use of its name by any candidate or political campaign. AARP is a nonpartisan organization and we do not endorse political candidates nor coordinate with any candidate or political party."

Where is the President's name?

3. See #2

I don't see anything on the lines of, "We are respectfully requesting the President not refer to us by name."  This is called plausible deniability.  They say they are non-partisan but they don't say they disapprove of Obamacare.

4.From AARP's website under "Our Plans" https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/medicare-plans?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=810075&gclid=CNullNma6LICFQfonAodjTAA9Q

AARP is a non-profit organization.  They don't make money providing services to senior citizens at reasonable cost.

I always go, girl.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

No matter how the liberals spin it, AARP does not want to be associated with obama.

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you really this uninformed or do you just play this uninformed on Cafe Mom?

PBO defended O-Care repeatedly. GO watch the debate again.

PBO was the only one in the debate last night that mentioned AARP. The post on their website was not because Romney used them in his argument. PBO used their name and they post a message saying Don't use our name. Who the F... do you think that message was directed at???

And, do you even know what a "Non Profit" is??? Jeeeez! Being a non profit doesn't exclude them from making money, a non profit is NOT a charity and YES!!! AARP DOES sell supplemental insurance policies Just like Planned Parenthood (another non profit) makes money selling abortions.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

1. He DID defend O-Care

3. See #2

I don't see anything on the lines of, "We are respectfully requesting the President not refer to us by name."  This is called plausible deniability.  They say they are non-partisan but they don't say they disapprove of Obamacare.

AARP is a non-profit organization.  They don't make money providing services to senior citizens at reasonable cost.

I always go, girl.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a CYA moment. Of course AARP is in the can with Obama, just doesn't want Obama to publicly say this, wants their increased business from Obamacare to happen quietly.

Nonprofit does not equal nonpartisan. There are plenty of partisan nonprofit groups. The thing that concerned AARP is that they cannot publicly endorse a candidate. So they had to back away from Obama's statements of their support.

AARP's stated posltitions have always been pro-Obama, pro-Democrat, pro-liberal. This is nothing new.  Many former AARP members are unhappy with AARP taking these liberal positions, because ultimately, it's their dues that are supporting causes they don't agree with. So alternate seniors groups have started to be more nonpartisan.

Yes, AARP supports Obama - just doesn't want him to say it, or it could jeopardize their nonprofit status.

Quoting gsprofval:

No matter how the liberals spin it, AARP does not want to be associated with obama.

JonJon
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I don't have to say anything.  You've demonstrated it is you who is comprehension-challenged.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Are you really this uninformed or do you just play this uninformed on Cafe Mom?

PBO defended O-Care repeatedly. GO watch the debate again.

PBO was the only one in the debate last night that mentioned AARP. The post on their website was not because Romney used them in his argument. PBO used their name and they post a message saying Don't use our name. Who the F... do you think that message was directed at???

And, do you even know what a "Non Profit" is??? Jeeeez! Being a non profit doesn't exclude them from making money, a non profit is NOT a charity and YES!!! AARP DOES sell supplemental insurance policies Just like Planned Parenthood (another non profit) makes money selling abortions.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

1. He DID defend O-Care

3. See #2

I always go, girl.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM

For what it's worth, Senator Ron Wyden is disavowing (is that a word?  it is now.) Romney's statement that he supports Republican bills that would end the Medicare guarantee.

http://www.facebook.com/wyden/posts/10151114084747858

Quote:

Last night Mitt Romney continued his attempts to imply that I support Republican bills that would end the Medicare guarantee - bills that he supports. This legislation would hit our poorest and most vulnerable seniors the hardest. Let's be clear: I'll always defend the Medicare guarantee and I voted against these bills when they came to the Senate.

The Wyden-Ryan white paper proposes a Medicare system that would protect access to traditional Medicare for the 58% of Oregon seniors who chose it, and protects access to private Medicare plans for the 42% of seniors who currently make that choice. The paper includes substantial new consumer protections for seniors in Medicare and substantially increased government oversight of private Medicare plans.

Romney has never endorsed any of these new protections for seniors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)