Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: bin Laden in Court~

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM
  • 28 Replies

Barack Obama wanted to try Osama bin Laden in court if captured: Book

Barack Obama wanted to try Osama bin Laden in court if captured: Book
If he had been tried in federal court, bin Laden would have faced the death penalty if convicted on charges of killing Americans.

NEW YORK: President Barack Obama wanted to try Osama bin Laden in a federal court if the US Navy SEALS had managed to capture the al-Qaida chief from his hideout in Pakistan, a new book has claimed.

Obama said he wanted to put bin Laden on trial in a US courtroom if the terror mastermind survived last year's daring raid on his Abbottabad compound, Mark Bowden, has claimed in his book on the bin Laden raid, "The Finish".
Obama said that he anticipated the same resistance that forced him to abandon a New York City trial for 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four co-conspirators, the New Daily News reported.

"But frankly, my belief was if we had captured him, that I would be in a pretty strong position, politically, here, to argue that displaying due process and rule of law would be our best weapon against al-Qaida, in preventing him from appearing as a martyr," Obama told author Mark Bowden, whose book will hit the stores later this month and is excerpted in the new
Vanity Fair magazine.
"We worked through the legal and political issues that would have been involved," Obama said.

Mark Bowden is an American writer who authored the popular book Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War.

The world's most wanted man had spent a decade drifting around Pakistan with multiple wives and children when Navy
SEAL Team 6 descended into his walled compound in Abbottabad on May 2 and ended his life on the run.

Retired SEAL Matt Bissonnette, who claimed in his controversial tell-all "No Easy Day" to be one of the commandos who shot bin Laden dead, wrote that the team's orders were in fact "kill or capture."

When bin Laden peeked his head from his home's top-floor bedroom a SEAL shot him in the head and teammates closed in to finish him off, Bissonnette wrote.

Obama and his inner circle maintain they gave 50-50 odds that the tall man they called "The Pacer," seen walking regularly around the compound, was their target. Assistant CIA Director Michael Morrell corroborated the 50-50 scenario.

"If we had a human source who had told us directly that bin Laden was living in that compound, I still wouldn't be above 60 percent. And I'm telling you, the case for WMD wasn't just stronger-it was much stronger," Morrell told Bowden.

It was a reference to intelligence, that later proved faulty, claiming that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction before the US invasion in 2002.

Navy SEAL and Joint Special Operations Command boss Admiral William McRaven, who ran the mission, told Obama the raid itself would be easier than flying his team in and out, which he warned could get "sporty," Bowden writes.

If he had been tried in federal court, bin Laden would have faced the death penalty if convicted on charges of killing Americans.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

If bin Laden would have been brought to an American court, my bet is that obama would have found a way to let him go.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

If bin Laden would have been brought to an American court, my bet is that obama would have found a way to let him go.

The trial would have been a circus! Sympathetic Lawyers racing to be defense attorneys for Osama bin Laden, worldwide notoriety. I reside about 50 miles from the Illinois prison Obama hopes to send the Gitmo terrorist prisoners to. Many believe a 2nd term will open the door for this plan again. There are several areas of concern in the surrounding regions of Illinois & Iowa which could be primary targets for Al-Qaeda to attack as leverage to free the prisoners. If bin Laden would have been held there, we can imagine the dangers waiting to happen. KSM among other radical terrorists would be transferred to this facility. I have been listening to a local radio talk show, callers voicing their deep concerns and complaints about this. Some have used the Benghazi attack as an ex. of such incompetence from this admin. The failure to protect Americans from the growing threat of terrorism~ 

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it would have been fabulous, absolutely, to see that man have to face American justice.  To give a chance for the survivors of Bin Laden's many attacks, and the relatives of those he murdered, to face him down.

The proof against him is incredible and undeniable.  It's a shame that the ops that had to take him out had no choice.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM

BTW, this is an interesting interview with the author of this book:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/10/mark-bowden-the-finish-osama-bin-laden-compound

I may have to pick it up.  This is the guy that wrote Black Hawk Down.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Sooooo......   The man that had the final authority, made the decision, to send in the SEALs, with a shoot to kill if necessary order, would have found a way to "let him go"? 

Quoting gsprofval:

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
At least there would have been proof that we had him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting gsprofval:

The trial would have been a circus! Sympathetic Lawyers racing to be defense attorneys for Osama bin Laden, worldwide notoriety. I reside about 50 miles from the Illinois prison Obama hopes to send the Gitmo terrorist prisoners to. Many believe a 2nd term will open the door for this plan again. There are several areas of concern in the surrounding regions of Illinois & Iowa which could be primary targets for Al-Qaeda to attack as leverage to free the prisoners. If bin Laden would have been held there, we can imagine the dangers waiting to happen. KSM among other radical terrorists would be transferred to this facility. I have been listening to a local radio talk show, callers illustrating their deep concerns and complaints about this. Some have used the Benghazi attack as an ex. of such incompetence from this admin. The failure to protect Americans from the growing threat of terrorism~ 

It's bad enough to have a prison nearby any way, let alone one likely to have al Al-Qaeda attack. That's just too scary.

What gets me, though, is that obama just wants to buy the Illinois prison to transfer terriorists so he can close Guantanamo like he said he would--it still doesn't help to have those kinds of people around.

It's stupid to spend millions buying another prison when they are already "stored" at a prison.

PeeperSqueak
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with both comments gsprofval......BO would've found a way, and  we're all much safer with Bin Laden is dead.....sometimes I do have my doubts tho....considering all what's been happening with this administration.

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting gsprofval:

The trial would have been a circus! Sympathetic Lawyers racing to be defense attorneys for Osama bin Laden, worldwide notoriety. I reside about 50 miles from the Illinois prison Obama hopes to send the Gitmo terrorist prisoners to. Many believe a 2nd term will open the door for this plan again. There are several areas of concern in the surrounding regions of Illinois & Iowa which could be primary targets for Al-Qaeda to attack as leverage to free the prisoners. If bin Laden would have been held there, we can imagine the dangers waiting to happen. KSM among other radical terrorists would be transferred to this facility. I have been listening to a local radio talk show, callers illustrating their deep concerns and complaints about this. Some have used the Benghazi attack as an ex. of such incompetence from this admin. The failure to protect Americans from the growing threat of terrorism~ 

It's bad enough to have a prison nearby any way, let alone one likely to have al Al-Qaeda attack. That's just too scary.

What gets me, though, is that obama just wants to buy the Illinois prison to transfer terriorists so he can close Guantanamo like he said he would--it still doesn't help to have those kinds of people around.

It's stupid to spend millions buying another prison when they are already "stored" at a prison.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you, Peeper. This admin is deplorable!

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

I agree with both comments gsprofval......BO would've found a way, and  we're all much safer with Bin Laden is dead.....sometimes I do have my doubts tho....considering all what's been happening with this administration.

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting gsprofval:

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Once again, the man that ordered the raid that he knew might likely result in Bin Laden's death, would have found a way to let him go?

Okey dokey then. 

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting gsprofval:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)