Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hum...was Obama rattled because....

Posted by   + Show Post

President Obama's reelection campaign, rattled by his Wednesday night debate performance, could be in for even worse news. According to knowledgeablesources, a national magazine and a national web site are preparing a blockbuster donor scandal story.

Sources told Secrets that the Obama campaign has been trying to block the story. But a key source said it plans to publish the story Friday or, more likely, Monday.

According to the sources, a taxpayer watchdog group conducted a nine-month investigation into presidential and congressional fundraising and has uncovered thousands of cases of credit card solicitations and donations to Obama and Capitol Hill, allegedly from unsecure accounts, and many from overseas. That might be a violation of federal election laws.

The Obama campaign has received hundreds of millions in small dollar donations, many via credit card donations through their website. On Thursday, the campaign announced a record September donor haul of $150 million.

At the end of the 2008 presidential campaign, the Obama-Biden effort was hit with a similar scandal. At the time, the Washington Post reported that the Obama campaign let donors use "largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity."

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Replies (31-33):
Lisa1273
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
3 moms liked this

So what you're saying is you've been rattled for at least 4 years now? 

(I couldn't resist!)

Quoting GardenerArtist:

It always rattles me when I am confronted with someone who tells bald faced lies.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

The math just doesn't add up.  We would have had to have created a certain number of jobs just to break even with the increasing size of the work force every year, and that number fell extremely short.  Yet somehow the unemployment rate is back to where it was?  Yeah, I don't think so.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting DSamuels:

I'm wondering when the job numbers will be revised down as they usually seem to be. I also wonder how many stopped looking or ran out of employment, that changes the numbers too. I did find this little tidbit....

Still, many of the jobs the economy added last month were part time. The number of people with part-time jobs who wanted full-time work rose 7.5 percent to 8.6 million, the most since February 2009.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

While you guys are sitting here wondering if a as-yet-no-evidence-for campaign donation fraud story (which I highly doubt was the cause of Obama's poor performance, but as theories go, it's as valid as the next one, I suppose), the new jobs numbers are out.

Unemployment has fallen below 8%.

I take your point about part time work.

As to your point about job number revisions, for July and August, at least, the numbers were revised upward.   Most importantly - for politics at least -- Obama crossed the zero baseline.  Unemployment is no longer up from when he took office.  And more people are at work - whether full or part time - than were when he took office as well. Also, net private sector gains are even stronger than the numbers would suggest on their own.

I'll just repeat here what I said in another, similar post:

Employment numbers always are somewhat flawed, as someone pointed out above.  But it's what we have, and it's the same metric we've always used to guage unemployment, including during the recession years under Reagan, when Democrats made similar criticisms.

Obama's recovery is working.   There's still work to do.  But the economy is recovering.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

yep

Quoting kailu1835:

It's actually a lot higher, if you take into account all the people who simply left the job force for one reason or another.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

While you guys are sitting here wondering if a as-yet-no-evidence-for campaign donation fraud story (which I highly doubt was the cause of Obama's poor performance, but as theories go, it's as valid as the next one, I suppose), the new jobs numbers are out.

Unemployment has fallen below 8%.

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)