Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Are there earmarks on state proposals?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Umm help me out ladies...are earmarks included in the proposals that you vote for by state?  I have a good friend that is voting no on every proposal b/c of this.  I didn't think they were for this...we have a lot of proposals for out state, Michigan, that I'm trying to do my research on.  I don't see anything hidden, no earmarks.  Are they there?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2the.rescue
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

anyone?  Maybe it's a dumb question...I don't see anything about earmarks in any of the research I've done.

godotherightthi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I think it depends on the legislation - but generally something voted on by the people won't have earmarks.

Earmarks are usually ways that politicians "compromise" (really bribe) in order to get something passed.

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

okay that's what I thought...been when someone said otherwise I thought oh no, how can I vote on something with hidden things in there.  thanks!

Quoting godotherightthi:

I think it depends on the legislation - but generally something voted on by the people won't have earmarks.

Earmarks are usually ways that politicians "compromise" (really bribe) in order to get something passed.

godotherightthi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

You may want to ask your friend more questions.  There may be stuff hidden in there, but it technically wouldn't be an earmark.  She may have just used the wrong terminology.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

okay that's what I thought...been when someone said otherwise I thought oh no, how can I vote on something with hidden things in there.  thanks!

Quoting godotherightthi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)