Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

O/T Should Sex Offenders be Allowed to Hand out Halloween Candy?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Should a Registered Sex Offender Pass out Candy?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

Sex offenders sue to hand out Halloween candy

Five registered sex offenders in Simi Valley and their relatives want to be allowed to hand out candy to kids on Halloween.

According to the Ventura County Star, they are suing to block an ordinance that forbids sex offenders from doing just that. The lawsuit claims the measure violates the 1st and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution.

Among other things, the ordinance requires sex offenders to post signs on their front doors saying "no candy or treats at this residence."

The Simi Valley city attorney calls the lawsuit groundless.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the nature of the sex offense.  A child predator?  Obviously not.  The guy who, at 18, had consensual sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and her parents called the police?  Why shouldn't he be able to?  The guy who relieved himself on the side of the road?  Why not?

It depends.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It depends on the nature of the sex offense.  A child predator?  Obviously not.  The guy who, at 18, had consensual sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and her parents called the police?  Why shouldn't he be able to?  The guy who relieved himself on the side of the road?  Why not?

It depends.

good points.... 

I think I'd err on the side caution.

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It depends.

good points.... 

I think I'd err on the side caution.

Sure.  But I think it is an issue in the sex offender registry as a whole.  I think there should be classifications on the registry so that a non-predator who has to register doesn't have the rest of his life ruined over something non-predatory.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Peeing on the side of the road is NOT a sex offense in my opinion..unless it's someone who does it "over and  over again to get "public" notice.. Remember the guy in WA? where the school bus went by his house and he came outside naked and it didn't seem to be a problem for the authorities.. Or the naked bikers going through the park and a kid was having a birthday party... This country really NEEDS to rethink what's good and what's bad. Sad thing is..ALL sex offenders will be able to give out candy if this law suit prevails.. NOT GOOD..(imo)..

TheMillerFamily
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this

no, if one kind of sex offender has the right to hand out candy the rest of them will fight for the same right. A sex offender is a sex offender and needs to have laws to protect everyone from them period

godotherightthi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting TheMillerFamily:

no, if one kind of sex offender has the right to hand out candy the rest of them will fight for the same right. A sex offender is a sex offender and needs to have laws to protect everyone from them period

I agree with this.  When we start to draw lines between sex offenders then there will be those that slip through the cracks.  There will be those who ARE predators that manage to plea down because the victim doesn't want to face a trial, this happens a lot.

Not being allowed to hand out Halloween candy isn't a large infringement to potentially sacrafice public safety.

wulfeyes05
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

A friend of mine was put on the sex offender's list. His picture was in the paper and everything because he had sex with his girlfriend. I think she was 14 or 15 and he was 16. She told her parents and her parents called the cops and told them he had forced her. The judge ruled it as children experimenting, but the county put his picture in the paper anyway. He went to court three or four years ago and had his picture and name removed from the paper because people were looking at him like he was some sort of monster.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It depends.

PeeperSqueak
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree.....

Why is it so important to hand out candy ?  I would hope that their name and address is posted so parents know exactly what kind of freaky person is in that particular house.  Here in VA I believe all neighbors are aware of sex offenders.

Quoting TheMillerFamily:

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM
This

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It depends.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Where do you draw the line? What if the girl was 12 and it was still considered consensual? What about incest?

Adults should know better. A perv is s perv, IMHO.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It depends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)