Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What are the excuses you have heard to why Obama flubbed the debate?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm keeping an informal list but I am missing some.. I'm sure..

Let's add them up...

1. High Altitude

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (51-60):
mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting momsince1989:

I'm going with secret strategy to get Romney lying er I mean talking. It cracks me up how everyone who wants Romney to win is glorying over his debate prowess. He is still a lier! He still couldn't give specifics of his tax plan. He insulted PBS instead of saying anything about cutting subsidies to corporations or big oil! Those voting for Obama will still vote for Obama and those voting for Romney will still vote for Romney. I personally may not even watch anymore...I've already voted for Obama!

I'm still trying to understand how people are saying that President Obama lost the debate. Romney lied and ran around the issues. I still have no clue as to what a Romney presidency would look like. I still don't hear Romney talking to me about why I should vote for him instead of Barack Obama. The only thing that I learned about Romney during the debate is exactly what I knew about him before the debate: he's a fucking flip-flopper, a liar. He was overly aggressive and those qualities that he displayed let me know that I don't want a man like that as my President!! I want a person who is cool, calm and collected under pressure. I want a person who actually stops and thinks before they speak. I want a person who is strong enough and confident enough to be true to who they are and not feel the need to switch his stance depending on who they are talking to. I want a President who is empathetic to what all hard working Americans are struggling with, despite their economic status in this country. 

This first debate should have been a wake up call to everyone. If we all truly love this country, if we all truly want to see this country improve for EVERYONE, then yes, we all do have some tough decisions to make as well as some soul searching. Two different views of this country were right before us. If people want to see an end to public broadcasting which provides early childhood education to low income children (hell, all children... who doesn't watch Sesame Street and Sid the Science Kid...lol then vote for Romney. If people want to see individual states burdened more than they already are (you know when Romney talks about less "government" he's talking about taking away the 30% of all government funding for programs), then go ahead and vote for Romney. If people still feel that "trickle down economics" is still a sound fiscal policy (despite us seeing that it has not, does not and will not ever be good) go ahead and vote for your boy!!!

What did Romney say... he said something about "Trickle Down Government"... did people really understand what this man was talking about? At the end of the day this is all about MONEY!!! It's all about money/capital to Romney and where/who that money/capital should and will be allocated to. I want Romney supporters to stop and think for a moment and then be honest... If Romney gets elected, and cuts all of this funding at the federal level, and makes the states have to deal with and implement or get rid of good programs that combined are only what... 13-15% of the federal budget, where do you think Romney is going to divert all of that extra tax  payer money to? What do you think your tax  dollars will go to?...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

BigRoni
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting momsince1989:

I'm going with secret strategy to get Romney lying er I mean talking. It cracks me up how everyone who wants Romney to win is glorying over his debate prowess. He is still a lier! He still couldn't give specifics of his tax plan. He insulted PBS instead of saying anything about cutting subsidies to corporations or big oil! Those voting for Obama will still vote for Obama and those voting for Romney will still vote for Romney. I personally may not even watch anymore...I've already voted for Obama!

I'm still trying to understand how people are saying that President Obama lost the debate. Romney lied and ran around the issues. I still have no clue as to what a Romney presidency would look like. I still don't hear Romney talking to me about why I should vote for him instead of Barack Obama. The only thing that I learned about Romney during the debate is exactly what I knew about him before the debate: he's a fucking flip-flopper, a liar. He was overly aggressive and those qualities that he displayed let me know that I don't want a man like that as my President!! I want a person who is cool, calm and collected under pressure. I want a person who actually stops and thinks before they speak. I want a person who is strong enough and confident enough to be true to who they are and not feel the need to switch his stance depending on who they are talking to. I want a President who is empathetic to what all hard working Americans are struggling with, despite their economic status in this country. 

This first debate should have been a wake up call to everyone. If we all truly love this country, if we all truly want to see this country improve for EVERYONE, then yes, we all do have some tough decisions to make as well as some soul searching. Two different views of this country were right before us. If people want to see an end to public broadcasting which provides early childhood education to low income children (hell, all children... who doesn't watch Sesame Street and Sid the Science Kid...lol then vote for Romney. If people want to see individual states burdened more than they already are (you know when Romney talks about less "government" he's talking about taking away the 30% of all government funding for programs), then go ahead and vote for Romney. If people still feel that "trickle down economics" is still a sound fiscal policy (despite us seeing that it has not, does not and will not ever be good) go ahead and vote for your boy!!!

What did Romney say... he said something about "Trickle Down Government"... did people really understand what this man was talking about? At the end of the day this is all about MONEY!!! It's all about money/capital to Romney and where/who that money/capital should and will be allocated to. I want Romney supporters to stop and think for a moment and then be honest... If Romney gets elected, and cuts all of this funding at the federal level, and makes the states have to deal with and implement or get rid of good programs that combined are only what... 13-15% of the federal budget, where do you think Romney is going to divert all of that extra tax  payer money to? What do you think your tax  dollars will go to?...

Yeah!!!! Giggles your back!!!  bow down

wave" The jaws of power are always open to devour, and her arm is always stretched out, if possible, to destroy the freedom of thinking, speaking and writing" - John Adams

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Quoting BigRoni:

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting momsince1989:

Yeah!!!! Giggles your back!!!  bow down

Yeah, I'm back... this semester is hectic but, I'm handling it...lol... I've missed you to boo!!!LOL...

sammygrl77
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I agree giggles. I had to watch the debate twice. Once live, then again after fact checking. All Romney did was tell lies, skirt around the details of his plans, and be overly aggressive.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting momsince1989:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sammygrl77:

I agree giggles. I had to watch the debate twice. Once live, then again after fact checking. All Romney did was tell lies, skirt around the details of his plans, and be overly aggressive.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting momsince1989:

Exactly... As much as I support President Obama, I was expecting this to be a tough debate because hey let's be real, Romney has been trying to get into the White House for how long now? Let's just say that he's had a whole lot of practice!!! I was appalled by Romney's behavior that night and I have to give President Obama his props because, I know that the Romney that he was prepared to debate did not show up. What was on that stage was... I don't know what, but, as I stated before, our President was as always, cool, calm and collected. He threw out his script and freestyled and was still able to tear down all of that shit that Romney was talking about. Those who are informed and are real enough to be honest,  know that this is true. Unfortunately, people were looking at the "performance," the "showmanship"... people did not pay attention to exactly what these men were saying. If people were really listening and hearing these men speak, people would not be saying that Romney won the debate. But, please believe me when I say this... the next debate will be totally different. After Biden wipes the floor with Ryan, it will set the tone for the next debate between President Obama and Romney...

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Here's one Jambo...it's getting "better" and "better"..lol

Latest Debate Excuse: Romney Cheated By Using Secret Notes

Denial is often fingered as one of the first stages of grief, and on some liberal blogs, that appears to be precisely the reaction that is setting in with regard to Mitt Romney’s debate performance this past Wednesday night. Having accused Romney of lying because he contradicted Obama administration talking points and attacked moderator Jim Lehrer for letting Romney control the debate, the Left is now claiming that Romney cheated during the debate.

The source of their complaint is a brief moment during the debate where Romney is seen to put his hand in his pocket and pull something out — something that the Daily Kos suspects of being hidden notes.

Mitt Romney Accused of Bringing Cheat Sheet to Debate By Liberal Blogs

Photo Credit: Daily Kos

From the diary posted on Kos’s website today:

Mitt takes something out of his pocket and tosses it on the podium.  It seems as if he maybe using his body to try and screen the movement.  It’s very fast, the whole thing is over by 0:00:12.

Yes it could be a hanky.  But it falls kind of heavy, and stays uniform in it’s fold.  Plus it is flat.  I have never seen a man‘s hanky be so uniform and flat coming from a front pant’s pocket.  Back pocket, yes, breast pocket in a jacket, yes.. but not the front pant pocket.

He was also wearing make up and to wipe any sweat from his face with a hanky would have taken off his make up.  Plus remember that old saying “Never let them see you sweat?”  If he was seen to wipe sweat from his brow, the optics would have been very bad (”Obama makes him nervous, he can’t stand up to him.”)[...]

I’m NOT saying it is crib/cheat notes .. but I am saying it’s a possibility.
It’s also Mitt “I never found a loophole I didn’t exploit” Romney, who may have committed a felony on his taxes.

This unfalsifiable theory of malfeasance picked up steam for a little while on other blogs, such as Democratic Underground and the Daily Beast, before Buzzfeed shot it down – -not only was the object definitely a handkerchief, but there was actual video evidence of Romney using it:

But according to a Romney aide the object was simply a handkerchief, not an illicit list of zingers.

“It’s a handkerchief,” the aide said simply in response to the post.

Romney can be seen at another moment in the debate using the handkerchief.

Photo Credit: Weaselzippers

Buzzfeed has labeled this faux-controversy the “conspiracy theory of the day,” and it’s easy to see why. The obsession over the details of how the handkerchief folded, and which pocket Romney took it from show how thoroughly impossible to debunk it actually is, short of having a debate podium camera that could snap a picture of what Romney put down. However, given the amount of time Romney spent looking directly at President Obama, even when he (Romney) wasn’t the one speaking, it’s difficult to see how he would have used such a list, and even more dubious that he would have needed such a list.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting rocketracer:

1. high altitude

2. anniversary

3. didn't want to appear too aggressive

4. doesn't like to do his homework as stated by Obama himself prior to the debate

5. has a lazy streak as stated by Obama during a Barbara Walters interview

6. a different romney appeared.

Those are all great!  I'll add on to the one related in #3

He was being a gentleman

He was following the rules

Yes all of these I have heard.Im a Obama supporter and wished Obama would have been more confrontational.I believe both Obama and the real Romney will be exposed and seen in the next debate.

What matters most is that each candidate tells the truth and not their theatrical performance on stage.Keep your tally going on Obama....Democrats have got a hefty laundry list to unload onto Romney.

~Tia

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL!  Maybe if the pressure is just too much for him to handle, then he should not run again... no?

Quoting Jambo4:

This one has multiple excuses..

Romney has little else to think about but campaigning while the President still has the weight of the world on his shoulders.  I also doubt Romney has received as many death threats as the President has received.  I sometimes wonder if the President becomes aware of a threat just before going on stage during the campaign, probably more to unnerve him than actual intent to kill him but disconcerting and distracting all the same. 

Such concerns may lead to the President's flat performances.  He also has to be careful how he speaks because all the people saying he wasn't aggressive enough would be saying he was too aggessive and arrogant if he'd done as Romney did.  It's better to err on the "too passive" side than the "rudely aggressive" side. 

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

rolling on floorOMG... SERIOUSLY, people?? 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Here's one Jambo...it's getting "better" and "better"..lol

Latest Debate Excuse: Romney Cheated By Using Secret Notes

Denial is often fingered as one of the first stages of grief, and on some liberal blogs, that appears to be precisely the reaction that is setting in with regard to Mitt Romney’s debate performance this past Wednesday night. Having accused Romney of lying because he contradicted Obama administration talking points and attacked moderator Jim Lehrer for letting Romney control the debate, the Left is now claiming that Romney cheated during the debate.

The source of their complaint is a brief moment during the debate where Romney is seen to put his hand in his pocket and pull something out — something that the Daily Kos suspects of being hidden notes.

Photo Credit: Daily Kos

From the diary posted on Kos’s website today:

Mitt takes something out of his pocket and tosses it on the podium.  It seems as if he maybe using his body to try and screen the movement.  It’s very fast, the whole thing is over by 0:00:12.

Yes it could be a hanky.  But it falls kind of heavy, and stays uniform in it’s fold.  Plus it is flat.  I have never seen a man‘s hanky be so uniform and flat coming from a front pant’s pocket.  Back pocket, yes, breast pocket in a jacket, yes.. but not the front pant pocket.

He was also wearing make up and to wipe any sweat from his face with a hanky would have taken off his make up.  Plus remember that old saying “Never let them see you sweat?”  If he was seen to wipe sweat from his brow, the optics would have been very bad (”Obama makes him nervous, he can’t stand up to him.”)[...]

I’m NOT saying it is crib/cheat notes .. but I am saying it’s a possibility.
It’s also Mitt “I never found a loophole I didn’t exploit” Romney, who may have committed a felony on his taxes.

This unfalsifiable theory of malfeasance picked up steam for a little while on other blogs, such as Democratic Underground and the Daily Beast, before Buzzfeed shot it down – -not only was the object definitely a handkerchief, but there was actual video evidence of Romney using it:

But according to a Romney aide the object was simply a handkerchief, not an illicit list of zingers.

“It’s a handkerchief,” the aide said simply in response to the post.

Romney can be seen at another moment in the debate using the handkerchief.

Photo Credit: Weaselzippers

Buzzfeed has labeled this faux-controversy the “conspiracy theory of the day,” and it’s easy to see why. The obsession over the details of how the handkerchief folded, and which pocket Romney took it from show how thoroughly impossible to debunk it actually is, short of having a debate podium camera that could snap a picture of what Romney put down. However, given the amount of time Romney spent looking directly at President Obama, even when he (Romney) wasn’t the one speaking, it’s difficult to see how he would have used such a list, and even more dubious that he would have needed such a list.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
And what if we don't want you here?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Mississippi! But, I'm moving to Michigan next month. Thanks!

Quoting momsince1989:

Yes it is! I am a busy momma with 4 boys lol  hmm what state are you in? and here's a cool link http://www.governing.com/columns/dispatch/Why-Hasnt-Voting-by-Mail-Spread.html

Quoting AdellesMom:

Oh okay. I wonder if my state has that. It's so convenient! lol

Quoting momsince1989:

no, I am a permanent vote by mail voter. I have been studying the issues and marking up my voter guide. But I went straight Democratic down the ticket this year. I might switch to Democrat after the election. Not liking the independents being lumped in with other parties like the tea partiers.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Early voting? I plan on getting my absentee ballot on Monday.

Quoting momsince1989:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)