Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Upon Further Review: Mitt Romney May Have Cheated To Win The Debate

Posted by   + Show Post

Upon Further Review: Mitt Romney May Have Cheated To Win The Debate

Mitt Romney collects his papers after the debate (Photo credit: JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/GettyImages)

Mitt Romney collects his papers after the debate (Photo credit: JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/GettyImages)

The Buck Starts Here

Over the past day the game tape of the debate has been reviewed. While Mitt Romney still enjoys the afterglow of the debate, the lies and half truths he told are being dissected.

From tax policy to hiring teachers. From cracking down on Wall Street (and Sesame Street) to coverage for the uninsured. From Medicare to shipping jobs overseas the fact checkers have been very busy correcting the record and pointing out falsehoods.

Even Team Romney had to correct the candidate on health care immediately after the debate.

As I predicted earlier this week, Romney had an October Surprise planned for the President – new policy ideas. But I had no idea that Romney would just lie about everything he had said over the past year and a half.

As the President said, Mitt Romney’s bright new idea is: Never Mind!

But there was a moment in the debate that will be discussed in the days ahead that everyone missed until yesterday.

A review of the debate tape reveals that, apparently, Mitt Romney needed a cheat sheet to keep the lies straight.

The rules of the presidential debates are clear about not bringing outside notes and presidents and aspirants have followed the rule for decades.

Video of the first eleven seconds of the debate available on YouTube shows Mitt Romney reaching into his pocket at the moment he is out of view of those in front of him, he used the lectern as a shield, and removing what appears to be folded papers from his pocket.

We see this because the camera that was broadcasting was behind Romney. Those in the audience and the moderator may have been shielded from his sleight of hand, but not the viewers.

Romney then proceeds to unfold the item in front of him.

For those curious if it could have been something else, later video sheds some light on what Romney retrieves from his lectern.

After the Romney and Obama families chat post-debate the President walks off stage, leaving his notes behind for an aide, no doubt.

But not so for Romney. The Presidential challenger goes back to his lectern to retrieve his items. It is clear that the only thing that Romney takes is paper. Not a handkerchief. Not a white flag. Nothing but paper.

So the next question is: what is Mitt Romney’s explanation for the apparent cheating?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I am betting that Obama dissappointed by speaking longer than Romney.  They were set to go out against Romney on "Minute-Gate" and had to use "Hanky-Gate" instead.

Open the window, hold your finger in the air.  Yes, you guessed right.

It's silly season.

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I agree...and I can't stand him.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You know what would have been really funny? If he blotted with the hanky with the notes on it...his cheating would have been literally written all over his face.

sidesplittinglaughter

I could NOT resist.

As for the cheating possibility...what can I say? Anything that comes from Dailykos is about as worthy of face value as anything that comes from Weaselzippers.

Personally, I don't see Romney cheating. He's not that much of a douche.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I looked at all the video people posted online an he wipes his face a few times with the white "paper" he put on his podium... I don't think he's using paper to wipe his face with. LOL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

LOL @ asking if I'm familiar with the "art" of debate, then presuming I'm not and telling me it's about strategy. 

I personally believe debate is about making a more compelling argument on behalf of one's stance on the given topic. 

I'd appreciate your outlining, in detail, what you perceived as Romney's winning strategies. 

I gave my own personal assessment.  I tend to make my own decisions based on what I saw and heard than let other people make determinations for me.  My personal assessment is that the President won on style, dignity, class and knowledge.  In my inestimable opinion, he was more Presidential.  I'd be mortified and humiliated if my President behaved the way Romney did on the world stage and in the presence of another world leader while saying virtually nothing that could be considered definitive or could reasonably be considered a solution to anything.

You incorrectly assume.  I didn't use the expression, "magic hanky."  I have looked at video of Romney over and over and I believe he did have something concealed in that handkerchief he used to wipe a face that was not sweaty and a mouth that was not drooling and a nose that was not runny as a way of showing it to be just a hanky.  He smirks right into a camera he makes sure to notice when he approaches the podium so he can keep his body between the camera and his right hand.  He smirks when he wipes his face, too, as if to congratulate himself on being so slick.  Check out this video I made describing why I believe as I do:

Quoting SallyMJ:

It was a comment on the article, not a reply to a post, so it was not addressed to anyone in particular.

Your perspective is interesting. Are you familiar with the art of debate? It's all about strategy. Romney did it, Obama did not. Obama is no dummy - he was just out of practice. He holds press conferences only 2 x per year max. Most of his speeches are prepared Teleprompted events. Can't do that in a debate when you don't know what will be asked, nor how your opponent will repond. I'm sure he will be better next time.

If all is as you have described, why did 90-95% of people -- even Obama's own staff -- conclude Romney won, and that he did a masterful job at it?  All the liberal pundits said the same thing. They were not happy about it, but they admitted what is obvious.

I assume you are joking about the magic hanky! -- Kind of like those alien abduction conspiracy stories. :)

Quoting JonJon:

Are you addressing anyone in particular or the world-at-large?

As I am the last one who wrote about Hankygate, I'll conclude you're addressing me.

I don't believe Romney won as he didn't debate better but was much better at being rude.  Only the people who believe being loud, disrespectful and rude is more winning behavior than being pensive, selective about what one says and concise in one's answers. 

Unlike the President, Romney didn't say anything substantive or definitive which is superior behavior in my and a lot of people's books..  What Romney had in his hanky were notes on what to say.  He's getting old and forgetful.  He avoided answering the questions the moderator posed; didn't you notice?  Instead he said what he came prepared to read...er, say. 

Go back and watch the debate.  He never answers any of the questions he's asked.  He went to that debate to do only what he wanted to do; not to follow any rules, and certainly not to be spontaneous.  He is very practiced at not really saying anything.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Right - So the only way Romney could have won was for him to cheat. Sounds like a childish quarrel.

And in a story worthy of James Bond, Romney cheated with that evil hanky of his! Not only did he use it to wipe his brow, but he also wrote on it in invisible ink, the answers to the questions that hadn't been asked yet,  that only Romney with his X-ray eyes could see.

What about Obama? Why was he "off", irritable, and not as articulate as usual? Don't you think part of the reason Romney won is because he brought his A-game and Obama did not?

Obama lost. It surprised me. It shocked you. Deal with it. 

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Quoting KhaysJadie:

Honestly, I was kinda disappointed that it was just a hanky. I would have preferred to think it was a good luck note from his wife or daughter. :)

(Hey, just because I don't care for him as the Republican candidate doesn't mean that I don't think he's a (probably) a decent family guy.)

good that would have been neat!

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Some lefties are suspecting the same thing.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Oh you mean like the lame brained righties saying the job numbers are being cooked? OK now I get it.

Quoting itsmesteph11:

sidesplittinglaughterThat's a REAL gut buster.      What a bunch of lame brained lefties.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I looked at all the video people posted online an he wipes his face a few times with the white "paper" he put on his podium... I don't think he's using paper to wipe his face with. LOL!

Yeah, but don't people usually pull out their hankies as needed?  Unless Romney has a sweating problem, why take out a hanky in anticipation of needing to wipe sweat off his face? 

Have you ever seen him, hanky at the ready during any other public appearance?  Did he take out a hanky and put it on the podium when he went onstage to accept the Republican nomination for President?  Any time someone does something different than they usually do, you have to ask why.

LOL... give it up.. it's a hanky... you feel a trickle preparing to move on down and you prepare.  Are you up his nose?  Do you realize just how desperate this sounds?  Altitude does make your nose run.. 

This is so laughable.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
You must not know JonJon very well. She is serious. LOL.

Quoting SallyMJ:

It was a comment on the article, not a reply to a post, so it was not addressed to anyone in particular.

Your perspective is interesting. Are you familiar with the art of debate? It's all about strategy. Romney did it, Obama did not. Obama is no dummy - he was just out of practice. He holds press conferences only 2 x per year max. Most of his speeches are prepared Teleprompted events. Can't do that in a debate when you don't know what will be asked, nor how your opponent will repond. I'm sure he will be better next time.

If all is as you have described, why did 90-95% of people -- even Obama's own staff -- conclude Romney won, and that he did a masterful job at it?  All the liberal pundits said the same thing. They were not happy about it, but they admitted what is obvious.

I assume you are joking about the magic hanky! -- Kind of like those alien abduction conspiracy stories. :)

Quoting JonJon:

As I am the last one who wrote about Hankygate, I'll conclude you're addressing me.

I don't believe Romney won as he didn't debate better but was much better at being rude.  Only the people who believe being loud, disrespectful and rude is more winning behavior than being pensive, selective about what one says and concise in one's answers. 

Unlike the President, Romney didn't say anything substantive or definitive which is superior behavior in my and a lot of people's books..  What Romney had in his hanky were notes on what to say.  He's getting old and forgetful.  He avoided answering the questions the moderator posed; didn't you notice?  Instead he said what he came prepared to read...er, say. 

Go back and watch the debate.  He never answers any of the questions he's asked.  He went to that debate to do only what he wanted to do; not to follow any rules, and certainly not to be spontaneous.  He is very practiced at not really saying anything.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Right - So the only way Romney could have won was for him to cheat. Sounds like a childish quarrel.

And in a story worthy of James Bond, Romney cheated with that evil hanky of his! Not only did he use it to wipe his brow, but he also wrote on it in invisible ink, the answers to the questions that hadn't been asked yet,  that only Romney with his X-ray eyes could see.

What about Obama? Why was he "off", irritable, and not as articulate as usual? Don't you think part of the reason Romney won is because he brought his A-game and Obama did not?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Desperate?  Pish.  I have no doubt the President will win big.  Every electoral college map has the President ahead of Romney by a huge margin.  Romney would have to take every toss-up state to win and chances are slim to none of that happening.

I'm just having fun discussing and speculating on what people post and thinking of ways things could or could not be as posited.

You're the one taking things much too seriously, included that on which I speculate, hypothesize or theorize. Um, thanks?  Heh.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting JonJon:
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Yeah, but don't people usually pull out their hankies as needed?  Unless Romney has a sweating problem, why take out a hanky in anticipation of needing to wipe sweat off his face? 

Have you ever seen him, hanky at the ready during any other public appearance?  Did he take out a hanky and put it on the podium when he went onstage to accept the Republican nomination for President?  Any time someone does something different than they usually do, you have to ask why.

LOL... give it up.. it's a hanky... you feel a trickle preparing to move on down and you prepare.  Are you up his nose?  Do you realize just how desperate this sounds?  Altitude does make your nose run.. 

This is so laughable.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey Jon-Jon,

First, don't take it personally - I use irony and humor a lot when I think things are silly. I too gave my perspective. Thank God we live in a free country!

You want me to outline in detail my perception of Romney's winning strategies?  I think you can find those easily on the comments to this and other stories. 

Your comments are curious. Were you watching the Obama/Romney debate on Wed, Oct. 3, 2012 at 9 pm EDT, that everyone else was watching or something else???

So someone looks more "presidential" to you if they are inarticulate, irritated, timid,insecure, absentminded?  I guess we are a little opposite on that - definitely don't want anyone who meets that description to be elected president!

Thanks for your images of the "magic hanky" - I had seen them as well.  Takes an awful lot of faith to believe Romney won because of notes hidden in a piece of cloth he wasn't even looking at anyway!  BTW, Elvis is still alive, and if you go into Area 51, you can find UFOs and aliens. Have a good day.

Quoting JonJon:

LOL @ asking if I'm familiar with the "art" of debate, then presuming I'm not and telling me it's about strategy. 

I personally believe debate is about making a more compelling argument on behalf of one's stance on the given topic. 

I'd appreciate your outlining, in detail, what you perceived as Romney's winning strategies. 

I gave my own personal assessment.  I tend to make my own decisions based on what I saw and heard than let other people make determinations for me.  My personal assessment is that the President won on style, dignity, class and knowledge.  In my inestimable opinion, he was more Presidential.  I'd be mortified and humiliated if my President behaved the way Romney did on the world stage and in the presence of another world leader while saying virtually nothing that could be considered definitive or could reasonably be considered a solution to anything.

You incorrectly assume.  I didn't use the expression, "magic hanky."  I have looked at video of Romney over and over and I believe he did have something concealed in that handkerchief he used to wipe a face that was not sweaty and a mouth that was not drooling and a nose that was not runny as a way of showing it to be just a hanky.  He smirks right into a camera he makes sure to notice when he approaches the podium so he can keep his body between the camera and his right hand.  He smirks when he wipes his face, too, as if to congratulate himself on being so slick.  Check out this video I made describing why I believe as I do:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Dimples303
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boo, this is stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN