Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

An American puts Team Obama in Their Place...

Posted by   + Show Post
To hear the Obama campaign tell the story, VP candidate Paul Ryan got a real earful at one of his own events this past week. An Iowa woman chimed in with a question for the candidate which she felt deserved an answer.

At the town hall event on Tuesday, [Linda] Morrison cited a contentious exchange between Ryan and Fox News anchor Chris Wallace on Sunday, in which Ryan said it would take too long to explain the details of his tax plan. She asked the vice presidential candidate why he wasn’t more specific, and why he “didn’t answer his question about what are your plans.”

That was too good of an opportunity to pass up for Team Obama, who immediately took to the wires with a snark filled attack. Paul Ryan “can’t attend his own campaign rallies without being called out for failing to provide specifics about what Mitt Romney would do if elected.” Or so went the meme of the day. Unfortunately for Obama, Ms. Morrison not only follows the news, but wasn’t shy about penning a letter to the editor straightening out the events of the day.

"I am the woman in the Green Bay Packer jacket at Rep. Paul Ryan’s rally in Clinton who asked him the question about specific plans to fix our economy. Needless to say, I was quite shocked to learn the Obama campaign seized my question, putting out the statement “Even Ryan can’t attend his own rally without being called out.”

"I was not calling Ryan out. I had the opportunity to ask a direct question to Paul Ryan and what I got was a complete direct answer with no spin…"

Today I am outraged that my question is being misrepresented and used as a political tool against the Romney/Ryan campaign by both media and the Obama camp. The question I asked is what we the citizens want to know: How is the Romney/Ryan plan going to tackle this economy? Paul Ryan answered it with precise clarity."

http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/mailbag/i-was-not-calling-ryan-out/article_efd85154-0e9a-11e2-853c-0019bb2963f4.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/ryan-supporter-objects-to-obama-campaigns-use-of-her-question-at-rally/

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/260517-woman-from-ryan-rally-outraged-that-obama-campaign-misrepresented-her

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/06/woman-at-gop-rally-i-was-not-calling-ryan-out/

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Sally, I think you may need to branch out a bit on your news sources.

I can start with your first point.

It wasn't "meetings with russian leaders" - it was an interview with Putin.  And he was right.  He will have more latitude once he's reelected.

Please, the next time you want to type this stuff, could you please include your sources?  Because this kind of all reads like a very blind summation of "shit we don't want jax to tear apart".

I will, if you like.  I just can't tonight and I'm very sorry if I seem short or rude - not my intention and I know I'm coming across as a bitch.  I've had a hella week caring for aging parents with surgeries, Alzheimers and Parkinsons - the triple whammy; just got home after a week and feel like I was hit by a truck. 

However, I can later this week.  You are pretty short on fact here and rather long on sound bites and misinformation, which isn't fair on anybody unless you think perpetuating lies is a good thing.

Typically though, I find that once I spend some time ripping things down to the actual facts, the thread falls into history, nobody wants to answer, and everybody pretends it never happens.

So let me know if you are open to facts or if you aren't.  Seems a large portion of the population here on CM here aren't big on investigation as much as they are on misinformation, and as much as I learn from each exercize - kind of sucks to see facts ignored.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Do you have transcripts of all Obama activities?

-Including meetings where he tells Russian leaders to "hold on until after the election; I'll have more flexibility then"?

-Including church sermons in June 2007 where he race baits and says that the government cares less about black people, when he voted against the Katrina Relief Act in May 2007?

-Including speeches at George Washington University in 2010, when the White House invited and seated Paul Ryan and two other Republican Congressmen in the front row, when he said - with Ryan in the front row - that Ryan's health care plan was "backward, bleak, Darwinian, unAmerican" and would destroy the social compact of America with its citizens?

-Including meetings with his pastor for over 20 years, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who was his mentor - where Obama said to Wright: "You know what your problem is?" Wright: "What's my problem?" O: "Your problem is that you have to tell the truth." W: "Well, that's a good problem to have."

-Including meetings in early 2008 where he begged Rev. Wright not to preach until after the election "because it will damage the campaign"?

-Including meetings in March 2009, where Obama told Republican House and Senate leaders about how he would not be working in a bipartisan manner with them: "We won [the election], so I think that trumps everything"?

-Including meetings where Obama overruled his advisors who advocated a small healthcare bill that could be supported by Republicans, to ram through Obamacare with not one Republican vote?

-Including urgent meetings he refused to have with Benjamin Netanyahu, in regards to Iran's ticking time bomb against Israel?

-Including more than 50% of his Daily Security Briefings that he skipped before the Libya terrorist attack, but now attends 100% of the time?

Do you have those transcripts? Far more important than a Q&A at a rally.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting jcrew6:

"I was not calling Ryan out. I had the opportunity to ask a direct question to Paul Ryan and what I got was a complete direct answer with no spin…"

Is there any record of what Ryan's answer was?

There is.

Excellent.  Can you link to it or paste a transcript here?

I'd be quite interested to learn the details of how much Ryan advocates cutting from each area money is currently spent on.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi Jaxx,

I am very sorry to hear about your challenges. You are a good person for taking care of your parents.

I appreciate your response. My previous post was a little tongue in cheek, along with the facts. Yes, there was one Russian meeting - not with Putin, I think it was Medeyev - the guy who reports to Putin.

I get news from all over the place, many different sites, stations, interviews, videos, etc, usually multiple places. I don't memorize the sources of news stories and facts, esp since many sites compile from many other sites, so you click on one and it takes you to another place. I did put down below where I got the info: some videos, some interviews (oral and written), some miscellaneous news sources. You'll find them if you look them up.

Nope - certainly not crap. I do welcome you to research them.

Take care of yourself and we can talk later when you have time. Have a good week.

Sally

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

It wasn't "meetings with russian leaders" - it was an interview with Putin.  And he was right.  He will have more latitude once he's reelected.

Please, the next time you want to type this stuff, could you please include your sources?  Because this kind of all reads like a very blind summation of "shit we don't want jax to tear apart".

I will, if you like.  I just can't tonight and I'm very sorry if I seem short or rude - not my intention and I know I'm coming across as a bitch.  I've had a hella week caring for aging parents with surgeries, Alzheimers and Parkinsons - the triple whammy; just got home after a week and feel like I was hit by a truck. 

However, I can later this week.  You are pretty short on fact here and rather long on sound bites and misinformation, which isn't fair on anybody unless you think perpetuating lies is a good thing.

Typically though, I find that once I spend some time ripping things down to the actual facts, the thread falls into history, nobody wants to answer, and everybody pretends it never happens.

So let me know if you are open to facts or if you aren't.  Seems a large portion of the population here on CM here aren't big on investigation as much as they are on misinformation, and as much as I learn from each exercize - kind of sucks to see facts ignored.

Quoting SallyMJ:

-Including meetings where he tells Russian leaders to "hold on until after the election; I'll have more flexibility then"? VIDEO

-Including church sermons in June 2007 where he race baits and says that the government cares less about black people, when he voted against the Katrina Relief Act in May 2007? VIDEO

-Including speeches at George Washington University in 2010, when the White House invited and seated Paul Ryan and two other Republican Congressmen in the front row, when he said - with Ryan in the front row - that Ryan's health care plan was "backward, bleak, Darwinian, unAmerican" and would destroy the social compact of America with its citizens? WRITTEN INTERVIEWS - PAUL RYAN, PRES. OBAMA, AN OBAMA STAFFER

-Including meetings with his pastor for over 20 years, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who was his mentor - where Obama said to Wright: "You know what your problem is?" Wright: "What's my problem?" O: "Your problem is that you have to tell the truth." W: "Well, that's a good problem to have." INTERVIEW

-Including meetings in early 2008 where he begged Rev. Wright not to preach until after the election "because it will damage the campaign"? INTERVIEW

-Including meetings in March 2009, where Obama told Republican House and Senate leaders about how he would not be working in a bipartisan manner with them: "We won [the election], so I think that trumps everything"? INTERVIEWS

-Including meetings where Obama overruled his advisors who advocated a small healthcare bill that could be supported by Republicans, to ram through Obamacare with not one Republican vote? INTERVIEW, RAHM EMMANUEL

-Including urgent meetings he refused to have with Benjamin Netanyahu, in regards to Iran's ticking time bomb against Israel? MANY NEWS SOURCES

-Including more than 50% of his Daily Security Briefings that he skipped before the Libya terrorist attack, but now attends 100% of the time? MANY NEWS SOURCES, INFO FROM WHITE HOUSE OFFICIAL CALENDAR

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting jcrew6:

There is.

I'd be quite interested to learn the details of how much Ryan advocates cutting from each area money is currently spent on.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Clairwil:

I have researched Ryan enough to understand his plan. I don't expect All the answers in one campaign stop. There has been plenty of informatiom published, spoken, etc. The Obama campaign is counting on Americans not doing their homework when his campaign releases lies like they have done.
joyfree
by Kat on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM

clapping

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting SallyMJ:

-Including meetings where he tells Russian leaders to "hold on until after the election; I'll have more flexibility then"?

-Including church sermons in June 2007 where he race baits and says that the government cares less about black people, when he voted against the Katrina Relief Act in May 2007?

-Including speeches at George Washington University in 2010, when the White House invited and seated Paul Ryan and two other Republican Congressmen in the front row, when he said - with Ryan in the front row - that Ryan's health care plan was "backward, bleak, Darwinian, unAmerican" and would destroy the social compact of America with its citizens?

-Including meetings with his pastor for over 20 years, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who was his mentor - where Obama said to Wright: "You know what your problem is?" Wright: "What's my problem?" O: "Your problem is that you have to tell the truth." W: "Well, that's a good problem to have."

-Including meetings in early 2008 where he begged Rev. Wright not to preach until after the election "because it will damage the campaign"?

-Including meetings in March 2009, where Obama told Republican House and Senate leaders about how he would not be working in a bipartisan manner with them: "We won [the election], so I think that trumps everything"?

-Including meetings where Obama overruled his advisors who advocated a small healthcare bill that could be supported by Republicans, to ram through Obamacare with not one Republican vote?

-Including urgent meetings he refused to have with Benjamin Netanyahu, in regards to Iran's ticking time bomb against Israel?

-Including more than 50% of his Daily Security Briefings that he skipped before the Libya terrorist attack, but now attends 100% of the time?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting jcrew6:

There is.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Quoting jcrew6:

I have researched Ryan enough to understand his plan.

Wonderful.

Could you post or link to a costed summary of it?  Something that says:

We want to reduce the deficit by X dollars per year

We plan to do this by reducing spending to Y and increasing tax to Z, where Z - Y = X

The change from the current tax intake is Z - Z', and here is how we anticipate the changed amount will hit each of the 5 quintiles.

The change from the current spending is Y - Y', and here is how we anticipate that reduction will be spread out over the major spending areas.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Clairwil:

Well, let's start with what do you think of the figures discussed in Ryan's 2013 budget plan? Not,what the commentators are feeding you. But what do YOU think of it?
Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this

The lady did not ask Ryan for a "Properly costed plan."  As usual, the Dems are making much more of this than it really was.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:
Quoting Clairwil:

Having now listened to his answer, I'd have to say it falls FAR short of a properly costed plan.
Ok, that's your opinion.

It is an opinion you disagree with?   Do you think that Ryan, in his answer to her, presented a properly costed plan?

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you even been to Romney's web site and read his proposals?

http://www.mittromney.com/sites/default/files/shared/BelieveInAmerica-PlanForJobsAndEconomicGrowth-Full.pdf

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:

Wonderful.

We plan to do this by reducing spending to Y and increasing tax to Z, where Z - Y = X

The change from the current tax intake is Z - Z', and here is how we anticipate the changed amount will hit each of the 5 quintiles.

The change from the current spending is Y - Y', and here is how we anticipate that reduction will be spread out over the major spending areas.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Lacey14:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting jcrew6:

Wonderful.

http://www.mittromney.com/sites/default/files/shared/BelieveInAmerica-PlanForJobsAndEconomicGrowth-Full.pdf

Ok, that's a start.  So he is planning on

Saving 0.4 trillion by making the tax system so simple that nobody needs to use an accountant

Saving 1.75 trillion (to the economy, not to the money the gov takes in or spends) by removing all regulation

Increase sales of American goods by $250 billion, by imposing sanctions upon China

Create 1.2 million new jobs by slashing alternative energy funding, and massively increasing fracking and oil drilling

Save $18 billion by slashing retraining schemes

Cut the federal workforce by 10%

Ignoring, for the moment, whether those plans are plausible, it still doesn't add up.   There are too many places where he's said things like "reform entitlements" without putting a number on how much money he is counting upon being able to save .

So I'll ask again, does anyone have a proper costed summary, with number that add up?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this
There isn't one, but the whole "idea" sounds good. People are committing their vote to an empty talking point.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Lacey14:
Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting jcrew6:

Wonderful.

Ok, that's a start.  So he is planning on

Saving 0.4 trillion by making the tax system so simple that nobody needs to use an accountant

Saving 1.75 trillion (to the economy, not to the money the gov takes in or spends) by removing all regulation

Increase sales of American goods by $250 billion, by imposing sanctions upon China

Create 1.2 million new jobs by slashing alternative energy funding, and massively increasing fracking and oil drilling

Save $18 billion by slashing retraining schemes

Cut the federal workforce by 10%

Ignoring, for the moment, whether those plans are plausible, it still doesn't add up.   There are too many places where he's said things like "reform entitlements" without putting a number on how much money he is counting upon being able to save .

So I'll ask again, does anyone have a proper costed summary, with number that add up?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)