Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama's Divisiveness Started Early, Remember the 2008 Campaign?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM
  • 73 Replies
3 moms liked this

In April 2008, Obama said:

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." HuffPo Link

In September of 2008, a Florida Democrat Congressman told a Jewish audience:

“If Sarah Palin isn’t enough of a reason for you to get over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better pay attention,” Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida said at a panel about the shared agenda of Jewish and African-American Democrats Wednesday. Hastings, who is African-American, was explaining what he intended to tell his Jewish constituents about the presidential race. “Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So, you just think this through,” CNN Link

Representative Hasting's comment, even if it were given in jest, was inexcusable and disgusting.  Yet it follows perfectly from Obama's "bitter" clingers comment from the preceding April.

To be fair, in context, it looks like then-senator Obama was trying to show the effects of bad policy on Pennsylvania gun-owners.  He was wrong to generalize, though, as if he could read their minds.

Compare that to Romney's "47 percent" comment.  In context, as much as is available, it looks like Romney is saying that he cannot convince people dependent on government to vote for him.  He was wrong to generalize, too, about their thoughts. 

Recently Obama told David Letterman that he immediately regretted his bitterclingers comment in 2008, but in fact, his campain surrogates and allies defended them, and even in re-explaining his comments he never addressed the last, worst part, "they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Romney has since called his 47 percent comments "completely wrong," while Obama seems to have pretended half of what he said did not exist.

Sometimes, "flipflopping" is the right thing, the presidential thing to do.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's the deal: if Democrats are going to be chastized every time the Bush administration is mentioned, I think the same should apply to Republicans who keep bringing shit up from 2008.

Sound good?

Good!

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM
10 moms liked this

Nope, that's not a reasonable trade.

Obama is still president and he is running for re-election.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Here's the deal: if Democrats are going to be chastized every time the Bush administration is mentioned, I think the same should apply to Republicans who keep bringing shit up from 2008.

Sound good?

Good!

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

And apparently became so in an historical vacuum.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Nope, that's not a reasonable trade.

Obama is still president and he is running for re-election.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Sound good?

Good!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM
6 moms liked this

Obama is still running on his 2008 ideas.  After the 1st debate a comparision was done between what he said in 2008 v 2012....practically the same....

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Sound good?

Good!

shimamab
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Divisive? I'd say it was the truth. Just all you Romney defenders call his 47% comment the truth. They both made huge errors in phrasing. They both have addressed and expressed regret. Folks on the right have been "re-explaining" R's comments just as folks on the left did about O's. That dude with his Sarah Palin comment was waaay over the line and inexcusable. Again, something folks on both sides of the aisle do from time to time. The OP says Obama seems to pretend half of what he said didn't exist...how so when he said he regretted that statement? If O is going to be held responsible for every error, gaffe, and statement that he AND any person with a (D) after their name ever makes, then I'd fully expect Romney to be held to the same standard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Nope. Not good enough. Not if mentioning Bush's mess is off limits.

You absolutely can not have it both ways without looking like a complete hypocrite.

Quoting rocketracer:

Obama is still running on his 2008 ideas.  After the 1st debate a comparision was done between what he said in 2008 v 2012....practically the same....

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Sound good?

Good!

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I find it funny that Romney defenders call his flip-flopping "admitting a mistake" while anything Obama did was done without regret or apology (when sometimes it clearly was).

Oh well...just another day of double standards from the same ladies who scream about the double standards of the left. They must be so dizzy!

Quoting shimamab:

Divisive? I'd say it was the truth. Just all you Romney defenders call his 47% comment the truth. They both made huge errors in phrasing. They both have addressed and expressed regret. Folks on the right have been "re-explaining" R's comments just as folks on the left did about O's. That dude with his Sarah Palin comment was waaay over the line and inexcusable. Again, something folks on both sides of the aisle do from time to time. The OP says Obama seems to pretend half of what he said didn't exist...how so when he said he regretted that statement? If O is going to be held responsible for every error, gaffe, and statement that he AND any person with a (D) after their name ever makes, then I'd fully expect Romney to be held to the same standard.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course not

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

And apparently became so in an historical vacuum.

shimamab
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Any comparisons done between Bush policies and Romney's? Of course, they would have to settle on what exactly the RR policy will be first, I guess. Any info on how many policies Romney changed from pre-debate to during the debate? Obama needs to make some changes in policy, that's obvious. But, yes, his general ideas about the direction he wants to take the country (grow the middle class, invest in education and green energy, regulate Wall Street, diplomacy over war, expand health care, etc) are the same as 2008.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Sound good?

Good!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimamab
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I know. It's crazy. O has said and done things that are clearly wrong and "inelegant"ly stated, but his apologies get glossed over and forgotten. All it takes is one slip and no matter the context or correction made, it's tattooed on him forever. Now I know there are people who do this to Romney, too. I just find that posters on CM who try to present themselves as reasonable, intelligent, thoughtful people will so quickly ditch all of that in favor of hypocrisy. I really get tired of being an O defender on this board, honestly. But when there are soooo many skewed anti-Obama posts to address (even the ones with facts have to slam somewhere within them with stupid nicknames or partisan bs), its hard to look like the moderate I am IRL. Oh well, it is what it is. My mom has taken a bunch of personal development courses and that's now one of her fave phrases to stop herself from internalizing others' idiocy. "It is what it is"...you can't control what others do. :)

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I find it funny that Romney defenders call his flip-flopping "admitting a mistake" while anything Obama did was done without regret or apology (when sometimes it clearly was).

Oh well...just another day of double standards from the same ladies who scream about the double standards of the left. They must be so dizzy!

Quoting shimamab:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)