Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama's Divisiveness Started Early, Remember the 2008 Campaign?

Posted by   + Show Post

In April 2008, Obama said:

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." HuffPo Link

In September of 2008, a Florida Democrat Congressman told a Jewish audience:

“If Sarah Palin isn’t enough of a reason for you to get over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better pay attention,” Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida said at a panel about the shared agenda of Jewish and African-American Democrats Wednesday. Hastings, who is African-American, was explaining what he intended to tell his Jewish constituents about the presidential race. “Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So, you just think this through,” CNN Link

Representative Hasting's comment, even if it were given in jest, was inexcusable and disgusting.  Yet it follows perfectly from Obama's "bitter" clingers comment from the preceding April.

To be fair, in context, it looks like then-senator Obama was trying to show the effects of bad policy on Pennsylvania gun-owners.  He was wrong to generalize, though, as if he could read their minds.

Compare that to Romney's "47 percent" comment.  In context, as much as is available, it looks like Romney is saying that he cannot convince people dependent on government to vote for him.  He was wrong to generalize, too, about their thoughts. 

Recently Obama told David Letterman that he immediately regretted his bitterclingers comment in 2008, but in fact, his campain surrogates and allies defended them, and even in re-explaining his comments he never addressed the last, worst part, "they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Romney has since called his 47 percent comments "completely wrong," while Obama seems to have pretended half of what he said did not exist.

Sometimes, "flipflopping" is the right thing, the presidential thing to do.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

47/53 Seems pretty divisive to me.

I know, it sems there's been another change of opinion.

Flip/flop

Romney and Obama both equivocated on their divisive statements.  However, I do think that Romney saying he was "completely wrong" means he was the more diplomatic of the two of them in the respective circumstances.

If that's a "flip flop", I don't mind.  I appreciated the gist of what Romney was getting at--that of bad government policy engendering a dependency society--but the statement was a mess.

If Obama is re-elected, I hope that he would be more clear in the future than he was in this case.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

JonJon
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I like how the President is blamed for what any Democrat or black person says.

Sometimes you have to just own what you say.  If the President said, on one of the most popular late-night shows in the country, he immediately regretted what he said, what's your beef?

Let Romney have the balls to go on Letterman and apologize for what he said about 47% of the population.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

And Obama is accountable for squandering a surplus and creating a multi-trillion dollar deficit? Should we hold him accountable for NOT fixing those problems because he's responsible for creating them or do we hold him accountable for not fixing them fast enough for you? Obama came into office with  nothing but unicorns and rainbows awaiting him in the White House and he's just turned everything to shit, right?

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Here's the deal: if Democrats are going to be chastized every time the Bush administration is mentioned, I think the same should apply to Republicans who keep bringing shit up from 2008.

Sound good?

Good!

Hey genius. Bush isn't running for president. Obama IS. See how that works? It's called holding a person accountable.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
6 moms liked this
Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Obama begged for the office of the presidency. As soon as he won ? The blame game. We have heard more blame than solutions from Obama. He has lied. He has put outsourcing leaders into his jobs council, he has manipulated the American people into thinking his stimulus was really for the American people. Shovel ready? Lie. Green jobs? Lie. ObamaCare is about affordable care? Lie.
So, how are YOU holding Obama accountable?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

This doesn't answer my question. Re-read it. Try again.

What is it with deflection? Just try, for once, to answer what is put in front of you without this crap. A bunch of non sequiturs isn't an answer.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Obama begged for the office of the presidency. As soon as he won ? The blame game. We have heard more blame than solutions from Obama. He has lied. He has put outsourcing leaders into his jobs council, he has manipulated the American people into thinking his stimulus was really for the American people. Shovel ready? Lie. Green jobs? Lie. ObamaCare is about affordable care? Lie.

shimamab
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Outsourcing leaders in order to outsource American jobs? Or in order to put people who have outsourced together to come up with solutions that make sense to businesses? As to the rest, lies? More like TRIES. he tried some stuff out that, very regrettably, haven't worked. You contend he went into it lying, I say he tried and failed. Wish it had worked because this country needs to get "greener" and healthier :(

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Yes it does. Obama is accountable for lying.

What did Obama say he was going to the deficit? To cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term. What happened in reality? 
We should hold him accountable for his words and his actions.  As a nation, We are NOT better off today than we were 4 years ago.
His special interest donors might be better off overall. But not the majority of Americans.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it's important to know that Obama has always been divisive - pitting one group against another - well before he came into office, well before these comments on the campaign trail in 2008.

Obama believes in the philosophy of Critical Race Theory, learned it from its creator, Prof. Derrick Bell at Harvard Law School. Obama was very close with Bell, and taught CRT to his students at University of Chicago, forcing them to read some of Bell's most inflammatory works. This philosophy colors his views of society. It is no wonder that Obama would attend a church for over 20 years that teaches the racist philosophy called Black Liberation Theology, directly based on CRT. Obama had a very close father-son type mentor relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright, hence his opening line in that 2007 speech and all of his weekly Saturday speeches at Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH organization meetings: "I bring you greetings from my pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright." Of course Obama heard Wright's racist screeds, going to the church for over 20 years. When Wright's "GD America" speech came out, Obama's team offered Wright $150,000 not to preach or speak until the election, because "it will damage the campaign". And Obama threw Wright under the bus, disinvited him from giving the invocation at a political event, and said he had never heard Wright utter words as in the "GD  America" speech. Bullcrap.  And in that 2007 speech, Obama engaged in race-baiting about Katrina, even thought he himself had voted against the Katrina Recovery Act just weeks before. So Obama did not reveal his views to America at large, and like Obamacare, the American people had to vote for him to see what was in him.

And Obama presented himself as a bipartisan uniter. Yet In early 2009, in a gathering of Democrat and Republican House and Senate leaders, in response to a Republican suggestion, Obama said: "We won, so I think that trumps everything." And in his first two years, against strong objections by many of his most prominent advisors, Obama rammed through Obamacare and other major legislation without a single Republican vote. He gave Republicans no input into these laws, so how could they support them? And now he complains that the Senate keeps filibustering his agenda. When Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid takes the cue from Obama and refuses to allow Republican input, amendment to bills, or discussion on the floor, Republicans are forced to do the only thing they can with what they believe are flawed bills - filibuster. To do less would be to betray the American people. 

And Obama supported the radical Occupy movement, which sought to use class warfare to overthrow the American economy.

Most definitely a divider.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
5 moms liked this

Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

And Obama is accountable for squandering a surplus and creating a multi-trillion dollar deficit? Should we hold him accountable for NOT fixing those problems because he's responsible for creating them or do we hold him accountable for not fixing them fast enough for you? Obama came into office with  nothing but unicorns and rainbows awaiting him in the White House and he's just turned everything to shit, right?

Yep, that pretty much says it.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Here's the deal: if Democrats are going to be chastized every time the Bush administration is mentioned, I think the same should apply to Republicans who keep bringing shit up from 2008.

Sound good?

Good!

Hey genius. Bush isn't running for president. Obama IS. See how that works? It's called holding a person accountable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)