Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Bill Maher Tears Down the Republican Myth that Obama has Ruined America

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

It just doesn’t feel like Obama has ruined America. Republicans used to talk a lot about this thing called the stock market, and how it helped not just the rich, but middle class folks whose pensions and 401ks depended on it, well now they never seem to mention the stock market. Perhaps, because under President Blackenstein the Dow has doubled, or as Republicans call it, devastating economic news.

Now, there certainly still is poverty in our country, but it’s obviously among the underclass that you don’t see. The very people that today’s Republicans could give a sh*t about, so I don’t understand why they’re all so upset about the economy, except of course, it’s their big issue. So they have to pretend that America is a rotten compost where people are eating cat food and wiping their ass with the Pennysaver. And weirdly, Obama kind of has to pretend that too, because if he doesn’t, then he’s out of touch.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (11-15):
imamomzilla
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM

A sting ray tail sticking out of his chest. That's what killed Steve Irwin.

:-(

Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin killed by stingray

Renowned environmentalist pulled barb from heart before death

(NBC)

Quoting shimamab:

What's that costume supposed to be?

Quoting PamR:

Good grief, BK, I share your distaste for Maher's costume there, but that alone doesn't make everything he says irrelevant.  I don't agree with him on everything, but sometimes he has some excellent points.

shimamab
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Aha, thanks. That was insensitive. :(

Quoting imamomzilla:

A sting ray tail sticking out of his chest. That's what killed Steve Irwin.

:-(

Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin killed by stingray

Renowned environmentalist pulled barb from heart before death

(NBC)

Quoting shimamab:

What's that costume supposed to be?

Quoting PamR:

Good grief, BK, I share your distaste for Maher's costume there, but that alone doesn't make everything he says irrelevant.  I don't agree with him on everything, but sometimes he has some excellent points.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I get frustrated with people who think that the United States of America -- the greatest country to have ever existed, IMO -- could be "ruined" in four years by one individual.  It's not a rational position.

Gaileey
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

you have to i guess take it in it's appropriate way.

as the most far left -most liberal person i know - especially where i live - even I - don't really care much for Bill Mahr on many days - he's a bit crude and egotistical for my liking - and i don't feel he should be my mouthpiece.

but - he IS A COMMEDIAN with a COMICALLY DERIVED MOCK NEWS CONVERSATION SHOW (much like the daily show).  If Chris Rock or a guy with puppets on stage said pretty much the same stuff - people wouldn't find it offensive.  (but i will admit he has said a few things over the years that have been really really unbearable bad!)

I think the point he is making though mixed with comic reference is accurate.  We are being inundated with this" the economy sucks" lesson from the right - yet the economy continues to improve moment by moment all around us.  4 years ago my husband was on unemployment cause the carpenters union had NO building jobs to send guys on.  I had no job after a long sting of being a stay at home mom and couldn't find one no matter how many places i applied to - today - he is working 40 hours a week - plus overtime most weeks and has an array of side jobs with people who have started doing home improvements again.  I have been successful in THIS TERRIBLE ECONOMY to start my own small housekeeping business which a year ago i had ONE client and today i have 5!!!!!! - enough to really be contributing to our family's economic growth.

The malls i have been to recently are so crowded and packed with people it makes me question where all the poverty i read of is.  I agree there IS poverty - there always has been - and it's saddens the heart to know that people have to live that way in one of the richest countries on the globe. - but poverty isn't something that is NEW.  It didn't just start to happen in the past 4 years.  i live in a burb of NYC and can assure you there have been homeless people living on those streets for the 44 years i've been on this earth and there always will be.  We all can do our part to volunteer, donate, contribute and help - but it won't just go *poof* overnight.

I hope in future debates the President stops taking the high road and really goes on the attack as to where this country really is NOW after his 4 years as opposed to where we were in the 8 years before him.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Limbaugh consider himself a comedian too and I guess those to are just to opposite sides of the same coin. Those that hate Maher probably love Limbaugh and vice versa. I do not get HBO and I do not listen to talk radio. So what I see of these people are sound bites or what I research on You Tube about their show.

Personally I do not give stock in any entertainer and these people are just that entertainers and who know if they truly believe what they say half the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)