Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do the candidates really pay attention to us?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've aways wondered if the candidates ever pay much attention to what is being said by the political analysts, reporters, and people like you and me. Or do they just pay attention to the polls? I think that if they give some thought to what we are saying instead of just trying to convince us to vote for them, they may have a better chance of winning. What do you think?
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Replies (11-15):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Hello - I can understand that you might feel that way. But why are black liberals so incredibly racist against black Republicans, Democrat women so sexist against Republican women, Democrats with or without religious belief so intolerant towards the freedom of religion and speech of Republicans? - as if women, black people, people in general, can't have an opinion other than the Democrat Party. It seems that Democrats are only tolerant of people who agree with them. Why is that? This has bothered me for a really long time, and has been so hurtful.

Quoting GardenerArtist:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hello, how are you? - "Separation of church and state" is written nowhere in the Constituation, but was a phrase Thomas Jefferson used in a letter he wrote to a pastor. You are right that this concept protects both freedom of religion and the government.

Your comment about intolerance is curious - since I see and experience way more intolerance against freedom of speech, freedom of religion, sexism, and racism from liberals. It is good that Democrats have been very careful to eliminate racism toward Democrats who are black, female, members of religions other than Christianity and Judaism. However, this intolerance is very pronounced against Republicans - especially those of the groups above. So the people who consider themselves tolerant are actually the most intolerant. Why is that, do you think?  

Quoting Sisteract:

Sorry drinking beer

Quoting SallyMJ:

That is exactly what Romney and Ryan are talking about - and why they are devising strategies different from what Obama's been doing the past 4 years, to grow a healthy economy - which produces more jobs, limits inflation, decreases the national debt and the deficit, etc. - lots of good outcomes. 

I don't think it's intolerance towards Republicans. We just don't want the Christian Right forcing their beliefs on the rest of us, so we have to prevent that.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Quoting tooptimistic:

If they actually cared about us, they would be talking about unemployment, the price of groceries, the price of gas, the price of energy instead of all the other crap they spend so much time talking about.  Lets see how the juggle the same salary with higher costs of everything, paying a higher amount for health care, coming up deductibles etc..

An electorate that cares only about the stuff with an immediate short term impact upon their daily lives, is an electorate that is easy to manipulate.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Romney pays attention to the polls.He just wants to win and is a cut throat.Some of you have no clue what this man really is.He intends to get in office and cut all government assistance that would help you if you needed student loans,food for kids in school,pell grants,no kids left behind,head start,medicare,medicaid,unemployment,and help with food assistance.Romney plays on the stereotype that people are lazy moochers on welfare.Do you know how many people work their butts off and struggle only to not get offered healthcare at their jobs and not have enough food to put on the table?

I am middle class and we live comfortable but we worked our way up in life.I was blessed to get a student loan and go to college and get training in the medical field.If there werent programs like Obamas I wouldnt have the chance.

Obama is a very very good man.He has a huge heart and is compassionate.He cares and he listens to our needs as a nation.If you are rich...talk the talk...but if you are low or middle class you have walked the walk.

Obama forward

~Tia

broncfan
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Quoting MomTiara19:

Romney pays attention to the polls.He just wants to win and is a cut throat.Some of you have no clue what this man really is.He intends to get in office and cut all government assistance that would help you if you needed student loans,food for kids in school,pell grants,no kids left behind,head start,medicare,medicaid,unemployment,and help with food assistance.Romney plays on the stereotype that people are lazy moochers on welfare.Do you know how many people work their butts off and struggle only to not get offered healthcare at their jobs and not have enough food to put on the table?

I am middle class and we live comfortable but we worked our way up in life.I was blessed to get a student loan and go to college and get training in the medical field.If there werent programs like Obamas I wouldnt have the chance.

Obama is a very very good man.He has a huge heart and is compassionate.He cares and he listens to our needs as a nation.If you are rich...talk the talk...but if you are low or middle class you have walked the walk.

Obama forward

~Tia

Please show me where Romney says he is going to cut all these things?  Do you not know that student loans are the next big economic bubble that is going to take us down?  We can not continue to let young people take these loans from predatory schools and lending institutions, just as we stood back and let people take mortgages they could not afford from predatory lenders and mortgage bankers.  Reform is what Romney is looking for not necessarily cuts.  The programs you are talking about are never going away, they may be reformed (as they should be) but there will always be help for those that need it.

Second, I have been wanting to ask this for a while.  People say "BO is good man", I might have missed it but where are his neighbors or friends telling us what a "good man" he is?  Where are the people talking about his "good deeds" in his community?  Just because you fathered 2 childrenand have stayed married to their mother does not make you a "good man".  I have never even heard of anything he did in his church except sit in a pew and listen to raciest sermons.  Where is his community spirit beyond his job as community organizer.  I want to know about good works in his personal life, on his personal time.  These are the things that tell me what kind of person a candidate is, not what he says but what he has done in his personal life.

Rooobeee
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting MomTiara19:

Obama forward

~Tia

Please show me where Romney says he is going to cut all these things?  Do you not know that student loans are the next big economic bubble that is going to take us down?  We can not continue to let young people take these loans from predatory schools and lending institutions, just as we stood back and let people take mortgages they could not afford from predatory lenders and mortgage bankers.  Reform is what Romney is looking for not necessarily cuts.  The programs you are talking about are never going away, they may be reformed (as they should be) but there will always be help for those that need it.

Second, I have been wanting to ask this for a while.  People say "BO is good man", I might have missed it but where are his neighbors or friends telling us what a "good man" he is?  Where are the people talking about his "good deeds" in his community?  Just because you fathered 2 childrenand have stayed married to their mother does not make you a "good man".  I have never even heard of anything he did in his church except sit in a pew and listen to raciest sermons.  Where is his community spirit beyond his job as community organizer.  I want to know about good works in his personal life, on his personal time.  These are the things that tell me what kind of person a candidate is, not what he says but what he has done in his personal life.

Biography did an episode on Obama when he was still a US Senator. Quoted from the website Biography.com, here are a few things that make Obama a good man:

"After working in the business sector for two years, Obama moved to Chicago in 1985. There, he worked on the South Side as a community organizer for low-income residents in the Roseland and the Altgeld Gardens communities."

As a Harvard Law student -- "In February 1990, Obama was elected the first African-American editor of the Harvard Law Review. He graduated from Harvard, magna cum laude, in 1991."

In his early career as a politician -- "Obama's advocacy work led him to run for a seat in the Illinois State Senate. He ran as a Democrat, and won election in 1996. During these years, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to draft legislation on ethics, and expand health care services and early childhood education programs for the poor. He also created a state earned-income tax credit for the working poor. Obama became chairman of the Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee as well, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, he worked with law enforcement officials to require the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases."

To be fair, here are some good points about Romney, also taken from Biography.com:

Early in his political career -- "Romney stepped into the national spotlight in 1999, when he took over as president of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee. He helped rescue the 2002 Winter Olympic Games from financial and ethical woes, and helmed the successful Salt Lake City Games in 2002."

As Governor of Massachussettes -- " During Romney's term as governor, he oversaw the reduction of a $3 billion deficit. He also signed into law a health-care reform program to provide nearly universal health care for Massachusetts residents."

Both men are "good" men in their own rights. And voters have issues with both candidates as well.

If the election were based on personality and likability, I think that Obama still has a good chance of winning because he is still "likable" by many voters. Think about the pizza shop owner (who is Republican) who gave Obama a big bear hug. Obama took it in stride, and even joked about it. I can't see Romney acting the same way. Nor can I see someone giving him a bear hug. However, if the election were strictly about issues, then Romney may skid out in front because people are still having issues with Obamacare. Unfortunately, voters tend to vote for the candidate who they both like and who they agree with at least 50% of the time. And that's why I think this race will be another close one for Obama, win or lose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN