Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OFF Topic: Halloween birthday party suggestions...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm tired of all the bickering so I would like some feedback from you creative Moms.  I'm supposed to be researching ideas for my daughter's 8 year old b-day party on Friday.

Give me some ideas for a cake...  for party food, activities... etc!  I scheduled it for a sleepover starting a 7pm so I don't need to serve dinner.. just some fun snacks.

And breakfast.. what to do there?

Let me pick your brain.... please! big smile mini

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
Euphoric
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Pin the nose on the witch.
broncfan
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this

15 year of DD said to paint their finger/toe nails black or orange and do dots of the other color on top or get nail stickers of halloween stuff (she said if you find halloween nail stickers let her know, she has been looking everywhere)  Also you can do witchy hair, tease and spray with colors.

I love birthday parties.

Euphoric
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

A pinata.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

We are big fans of dry ice.  We use it every year to decorate the trunk of our car for our church "trunk or treat" with the kids.  It settles in there and the kids have to go digging for the candy and end up touching other slimy or furry things we have in there.. lol

It makes metal scream when touched against it.. weird.  You are supposed to handle it with gloves but my hubby had Construction worker hands so they are all calloused so he doesn't feel anything.

We get it at the grocery store too.  You have to show ID to buy it.  Crazy! lol  

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Yes dry ice rocks!  Just be super careful.  We buy ours at a local grocery store (I think it's intended use is to flash freeze fish etc), and you'll only need a little bit.

Look it up before you buy it, as you can't touch it with your hands and need tongs to move it around.  I don't think you can put it in your freezer either.  (??)

Even if you just throw a chunk in a bathtub of water, the kids will be amazed.

Quoting broncfan:

Do a "eye hunt" get the candies that look like eyes and hide them like Easter eggs or paint rocks black to hide and let them trade them for junk prizes after the hunt. No need for favor bags. DO punch with dry ice and let them decorate their own cupcakes. Party done

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Euphoric:

A pinata.

yep... on our list!  I usually make one.. but I won't have time this year.  Here's some I have made for past birthdays (nevermind.. I don't have any handy on my hard drive... but I've made, R2D2, a castle, an army man, T-Rex, saturn, pony, pirate chest, car, barn... can't remember what else) 

My son who turned 12 is at that age where he's "too big and cool" for a pinata so he asked for a clown  so they could have fun beating the snot out of it.. lol  I didn't make that one, but I thought it was funny that he still wanted to do one but didn't want to be thought of as it being baby-ish.

GardenerArtist
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I had 2 kids with birthdays close together in Oct.  a few years, they had a joint party, Halloween theme.  Kids all wore costumes.  I did a game where I would blind fold each kid, while the other kids sat in another room, and they had to put their hands in bowls that were filled with different things... like I had peeled some grapes for monster eyes, cooked pastas of different kinds for monster guts (keep the pasta wet), .... had about 8  bowls of things (can't remember them all... bats ears (you could cut the shape out of fruit roll ups)  the kid that guessed the gross thing and the real thing won a prize.

The room was decorated with Halloween stuff.  After the kids had cake and ice cream, I told them this story called "The Teeny Tiny Woman" (its an old English tale)  you tell the story really quietly, and at the end, you say "TAKE IT" very loud. Makes the kids jump and they all laugh. I used arm gestures to accent the story too.

For some reason, I can't cut and paste.. so hopefully here goes the link

www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-14.htm

Now, my grandkids love me to tell that story.

Euphoric
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents always got dry ice for our Halloween parties. My mom had a witch cauldron, and she'd put the dry ice in with apple cider.

Quoting Jambo4:

We are big fans of dry ice.  We use it every year to decorate the trunk of our car for our church "trunk or treat" with the kids.  It settles in there and the kids have to go digging for the candy and end up touching other slimy or furry things we have in there.. lol

It makes metal scream when touched against it.. weird.  You are supposed to handle it with gloves but my hubby had Construction worker hands so they are all calloused so he doesn't feel anything.

We get it at the grocery store too.  You have to show ID to buy it.  Crazy! lol  

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Yes dry ice rocks!  Just be super careful.  We buy ours at a local grocery store (I think it's intended use is to flash freeze fish etc), and you'll only need a little bit.

Look it up before you buy it, as you can't touch it with your hands and need tongs to move it around.  I don't think you can put it in your freezer either.  (??)

Even if you just throw a chunk in a bathtub of water, the kids will be amazed.

Quoting broncfan:

Do a "eye hunt" get the candies that look like eyes and hide them like Easter eggs or paint rocks black to hide and let them trade them for junk prizes after the hunt. No need for favor bags. DO punch with dry ice and let them decorate their own cupcakes. Party done

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
imamomzilla
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Do some cool spider cupcakes. Family Fun used to have great ideas.

Watch scary movies...popcorn, etc. while painting nails (freaky colors).

Pancake breakfast.

HAVE FUN!!

boo

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My hubby's b-day is halloween, so here are some cakes that I've done:

A pumpkin---bake 2 bunt cakes, stack them and use orange icing.  then stick an icecream cone in the top hole for a stem, and use green icing to coat it.

A round cake with white icing then make a spiral with hershey syrup and use a toothpick to pull out lines to make a spiderweb.  Then stick an upside down reece's cup in a corner and draw some legs with black icing.

A graveyard--- cookie tombstones.

I also did a melted witch once.... Make a big chocolate and stick a pointy ice cream cone on it to make the hat.  Icen a circular cake with green.  Then stick two thick peppermint sticks out of one side for her stocking legs.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Use your bunt pan or angel food cake pan to freeze some weird colored juice with some gummy worms inside and float it in your punch bowl!

Have mini marshmallows on some chocolate cookies for ghost poop! (my boys love those!)

Make little pizzas and cut out bat and ghost shapes in your cheese they melt a little, but you can still tell.

Or make sandwiches and cut them into bone shapes and ghost shapes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)