Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ex-Powell aide on Romney's foreign policy team: 'These people make me sick'

Posted by   + Show Post

Lawrence Wilkerson, the former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, skewered Mitt Romney’s foreign policy team on Monday, saying their policies make his stomach turn.   

Wilkerson took particular aim at John Bolton, former President George W. Bush’s ambassador to the United Nations—and now an adviser to Romney. 

“The man scares me to death,” Wilkerson, a retired U.S. Army colonel told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz. “He would defeat all the enemies in America and the world—and believe me they’re plentiful—and he’d do it with everyone else’s blood. John is like Dick Cheney, never served a day in his life and wouldn't serve a day in his life … These people make me sick.” 

Wilkerson’s harsh rhetoric comes on the heels of Romney’s foreign policy speech earlier in the day, in which the former Massachusetts governor laid out a hawkish approach.

Without offering much in the way of specifics, Romney vowed to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, go after terrorists who attacked the U.S. consulate in Libya, and work to ensure Syrian rebels obtain arms to defeat Bashar al-Assad’s regime. 

"Utterly unbelievable, Wilkerson said, blasting Romney as “operating on a Cold War music sheet.” 

Asked about former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld’s endorsement of Romney’s speech, Wilkerson declared that Rumsfeld, one of the key architects of the Iraq War “has zero credibility with me and he’ll never regain it again.” 

http://leanforward.msnbc.com/_news/2012/10/08/14302340-ex-powell-aide-on-romneys-foreign-policy-team-these-people-make-me-sick?lite

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I don't like the Syrian government, but I find it more and more difficult to figure out just who is to blame for many of the attacks on civilians (the msm would like you to believe it's the gov't). One thing is for sure: we need to stay the hell away from it. 

The stories coming out of Syria via refugees in Turkey are terrible, but we are powerless. We absolutely can not intervene. 

And now Turkey is lobbing bombs back at Syria? Let's not forget Turkey is a member of NATO so we're obligated to stand with them.

It's a mess.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Holy shit.  We can't arm the rebels in Syria.  What the hell is Romney talking about?!

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

I don't know what is about warmongers. Is there a Republican running for president that has retired or went in the military?

Reagan was labeled unfairly a warmonger. I proudly voted for him 2x. You do NOT understand the difference between an individual who believes in a just war to protect innocent life, for the purpose of deterrence and those who rush to war for the sake of control and hatred.  Pls send your concerns to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Iran! 

They wants our children to serve in war.

Gov Romney does NOT want our children to serve in war. War is a last resort to peace initiatives. Are you a member of Code Pink!? They are pacifists, they sympathize with and befriend radical leaders such as Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro. American soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, who served during the Iraq war, willingly joined the Military. I sense you can't stand the thought that millions of men & women love this Country, are willing to risk their lives for this Nation and help those living under a brutal dictatorship. I have spoken to many of these gifted young adults who were eager to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to combat the enemy. They do not share your opinion but they will fight to protect your freedoms.

I am not sending my children to war. This is the 21st century. We came to America 600 yrs ago to wipe out the people of this land and now returning to those shores to do the same, because we don't like their way of life.

No one is forcing you to send your children to war. There is no draft. The soldiers enlist voluntarily.

War is ridiculous, outdated and unnecessary.

War is ugly but sometimes a necessary evil. Why don't you contact Ayman al-Zawahiri or Bashar al-Assad and tell them 'war is outdated & unncessary!'  As long as hatred & greed exists, the potential for war is present. Your comments continually criticize Christians and you like to mock God. Kissy, if you want wars to cease....start praying!!!

annabl1970
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-madeleine-albright-romney-foreign-policy-20121008,0,3084590.story

Madeleine Albright finds Romney's foreign policy speech 'confusing'

WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright on Monday dismissed Mitt Romney’s foreign policy as “full of platitudes” and light on specifics in the wake of the Republican presidential nominee’s latest address on the subject.

In a conference call with reporters, Albright said she came away from his speech “confused” on a number of issues, including whether Romney would have intervened to help end the regime of Libyan dictator Moammar Kadafi and if he would now arm the rebels in Syria.

“He has changed his mind on a number of issues,” said Albright, a veteran of the Clinton administration. Romney was first “for intervention” and is “now against,” she said, and she is “unclear where he is on Syria.”

“I thought I heard him say earlier that he would arm the rebels,” she said, and “now he’s just saying he might help them in some way.”

Romney has rolled out a lot of “rhetoric and things,” the former secretary said, but the lack of specifics suggests he doesn’t know “what the role of the U.S. is in the 21st century.”

Nowhere is that more a concern than with respect to Russia, she said, which Romney not long ago said remains America’s leading “geopolitical foe.”

Russia has supported the provision of supplies to troops in Afghanistan, she said, and therefore “we can’t look at them as we did during the Cold War.”

The call came within an hour of the end of Romney’s latest foreign policy address, in which he stepped up his criticism of Obama’s foreign policy and, in particular, the president’s handling of unrest in the Middle East.

In his speech at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Romney charged that Obama has led “from behind” and failed to back up his words with deeds. “Hope is not a strategy,” he said.

In her critique, Albright charged that Romney hasn’t laid out the level of detail to claim a foreign policy plan.

“Peace through strength,” she said, is “not really a foreign policy.”

Quoting Sisteract:

I respect Powell's candid opinion.

MR would be a foreign relations disaster.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Romney has rolled out a lot of “rhetoric and things,” the former secretary said, but the lack of specifics suggests he doesn’t know “what the role of the U.S. is in the 21st century.”

Is it lying to the American people about what's actually going on?

Is that going to be Romney's job?

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with everything you said here.  It is such a complete mess. 

Romney definitely gives the impression that he really doesn't understand what is going on over there in terms of the big picture.  He certainly hasn't learned from our own past mistakes.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I don't like the Syrian government, but I find it more and more difficult to figure out just who is to blame for many of the attacks on civilians (the msm would like you to believe it's the gov't). One thing is for sure: we need to stay the hell away from it. 

The stories coming out of Syria via refugees in Turkey are terrible, but we are powerless. We absolutely can not intervene. 

And now Turkey is lobbing bombs back at Syria? Let's not forget Turkey is a member of NATO so we're obligated to stand with them.

It's a mess.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Holy shit.  We can't arm the rebels in Syria.  What the hell is Romney talking about?!

Jesi_79
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Perhaps  more appropriate headline for this article:

"Ex-Powell aide all butthurt he was not chosen to be on Romney's foreign policy team"

The cry baby uses lots of ridiculous, indefensible claims, provides nothing to back it up.  Time for him to change his diaper and be a big boy.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Did they fail to notice that Powell himself  is somewhat sickening?

He's supposedly a Republican and endorsed Obama?

I suppose I should feel sorry for him.

What kind of a life is that to have to lead.

Agree with everything BUT feeling sorry for him.

I think that she was just supposing.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

You are totally ridiculous.

The whole Arab nonsense is a Muslim Brotherhood uprising brought on and supported by the one and only-

Barack Hussein Obama.

and you are worried about reasonable people taking control (smfh)

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I totally agree with everything you said here.  It is such a complete mess. 

Romney definitely gives the impression that he really doesn't understand what is going on over there in terms of the big picture.  He certainly hasn't learned from our own past mistakes.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

It's a mess.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Agree with everything BUT feeling sorry for him.

I think that she was just supposing.

Is he a Republican or not?????? 

Take a position and stick to it.

Even when it's unpopular because there is NOTHING left when the truth is gone.

The only thing one can say for the man is that he told the world to go screw its self.

If he thought Obama was a  leprechaun, he endorsed him.

Powell's kids still have to live in this world when he's gone.

Look at poor Stacey Dash.

It would be crucifixion to bring that on your kids in this world.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

I respect Colin Powell for his service to his country. Whether or not you agree with him politically, you should at least respect that.

And, he leads a very good life.

I respect Colin Powell for his Military service, that's where my respect for the man ends....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN