Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Another Obama Stimulus Fail: Sesame Street received $1 mil stimulus bill grant – created “1.47″ jobs

Posted by   + Show Post

Sesame Street received $1 mil stimulus bill grant – created “1.47″ jobs

October 8, 2012 | 2:36 pm 
51Comments

This grant was brought to you by the letters “A” and “R” — as in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, aka the “stimulus bill.”

Sesame Workshop, the independent nonprofit corporation that produces the popular childrens’ program Sesame Street, received a $1,067,532 stimulus bill grant in August 2010, via the Department of Health and Human Services.

The funding was to promote healthy eating according to the federal Recovery.gov website:

SW [i.e., Sesame Workshop] will carry out an expansion of its highly successful Healthy Habits for Life initiative, which promotes improved nutrition and increased physical activity, targeting low-income preschool-aged children and their families and care providers.

The projected created “1.47″ new jobs, the website reported. How they could calculate this to a hundredth of a percent is anybody’s guess. In any event, that comes out to about $726,000 per job created.

The money is separate from the funds Sesame Workshop receives from the federally-funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting to run the Sesame Street program on PBS stations.

The Recovery Act website lists the healthy eating project as more than 50 percent completed though most of the grant money appears to have been drawn.

Sesame Street has been in the news lately ever since Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said  last week that he would like to cut the funding PBS even though he likes Big Bird, a popular character on the show. The statement prompted a public comment from PBScriticizing Romney.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

clapping

Quoting broncfan:

I do realize that trillions of dollars have been wasted by both parties.  PBS is a real sore spot for me.  Our business deal with licence agreements and I know how much money is made by PBS/SS it is in the billions. Government money is not needed at PBS. Every pacifier, diaper bag, t-shirt that you see any of the SS figures on makes money for PBS, just try to go into any store from the local dollar store or gas station to Neiman Marcus and you will see something they are making money from.

I am a strong believer in watching your dimes so you don't worry about your dollars. Our federal government is the worse in the entire world about not caring.  I went on a tangent a few years ago against a Republican Congressman that got a earmark to install doorbells in section 8 housing in my Mom's home county.  $472,000 for doorbells and 2 jobs, so I am not just "after" the democrats.

I do think the stimulus is different, it was sold to us as one thing and turned out to be crap like this.  That is my beef, the trustworthiness of this president.  Just because it always has been done does not make it right and I can not say it will not be done by the next guy, but I do believe that Romney will curb some of this stuff.

What was spent here could have built a new Head Start center in my county, the one they have now is terrible, not only would it have helped 1000's of kids over the years it would have produced a heck of lot more jobs than 1.4.  This is why the power needs to be turned over to the states, the federal government is not to be trusted.

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We now have the first generation of children who may not live as long as their parents. 

Childhood obesity is through the roof, along with all the other problems that causes at such an early age (diabetes, etc).

Does anyone know how much the US spends on obesity related health issues each year?  The CDC says as much as $140 billion a year.

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY BILLION A YEAR.

YES, THAT'S BILLIONS.  A year. 

So you can cry big fat salty tears at Sesame Street getting a drop in the bucket million to try and combat childhood obesity all you like - but we are going to have to pay a helluva lot more than that in the years to come.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM

OH please. Sesame Street will bejust fine without all of it's funding. It makes millions from toy and clothes sales.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmm.. Puppets that make billions of dollars off of  products, etc.. vs. this economy..   I'm sorry..going to go with living, breathing human beings who need jobs..those puppets are making enough on their own..they don't need government funding.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Please, you missed the point of the article.

The point spelled out for you is that obama gave Sesame Street a "stimulus" check for $1.6 million to create JOBS!!  In fact only 1.47 jobs was created for the $1.6 million which is another stimulus FAIL!!!

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

We now have the first generation of children who may not live as long as their parents. 

Childhood obesity is through the roof, along with all the other problems that causes at such an early age (diabetes, etc).

Does anyone know how much the US spends on obesity related health issues each year?  The CDC says as much as $140 billion a year.

So you can cry big fat salty tears at Sesame Street getting a drop in the bucket million to try and combat childhood obesity all you like - but we are going to have to pay a helluva lot more than that in the years to come.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Ohhhhh I see.  You think the Recovery Act is ONLY to create jobs.

http://www.recovery.gov/About/Pages/The_Act.aspx

So, trying to reduce the billions we spend each year on obesity related health issues, and be proactive on the many billions more we will spend in the near future if we don't get a grip on childhood obesity, is a BAD thing from an economic standpoint.

Quote:

On Feb. 13, 2009, Congress passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 at the urging of President Obama, who signed it into law four days later. A direct response to the economic crisis, the Recovery Act has three immediate goals:

• Create new jobs and save existing ones
  • Spur economic activity and invest in long-term growth
  • Foster unprecedented levels of accountability and transparency in government spending

The Recovery Act intended to achieve those goals by providing $787 billion in:

• Tax cuts and benefits for millions of working families and businesses
  • Funding for entitlement programs, such as unemployment benefits
  • Funding for federal contracts, grants and loans

In 2011, the original expenditure estimate of $787 billion was increased to $840 billion to be in line with the President's 2012 budget and with scoring changes made by the Congressional Budget Office since the enactment of the Recovery Act. 

To achieve the transparency goal, the Act requires recipients of Recovery funds to report every January, April, July, and October on how they are using the money.  All the data is posted on Recovery.gov  so the public can track the Recovery funds.

In addition to offering financial aid directly to local school districts, expanding the Child Tax Credit, and underwriting the computerization of health records, the Recovery Act is targeted at infrastructure development and enhancement.  For instance, the Act provides for the weatherizing of 75 percent of federal buildings and more than one million private homes.

Construction and repair of roads and bridges as well as scientific research and the expansion of broadband and wireless service are being funded.

There is no end date written into the Recovery Act because, while many of Recovery Act projects are focused on jumpstarting the economy, others are expected to contribute to economic growth for many years.

Quoting gsprofval:

Please, you missed the point of the article.

The point spelled out for you is that obama gave Sesame Street a "stimulus" check for $1.6 million to create JOBS!!  In fact only 1.47 jobs was created for the $1.6 million which is another stimulus FAIL!!!

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

broncfan
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Childhood obesity is a problem in this country that is real and great, Type 2 diabetes is showing up in kids more and more everyday.  The answer is not in Big Bird, these kids eat what is put on the table educating parents is the only answer in order to prevent CHO, once a child becomes obese it is harder to keep the weight off, if they are able to lose it.. Common sense is lacking in our government.  The pitiful amount we can offer in foodstamps is one problem, the lack of education of parents is another, the cost of food is another and the dang TV is another.  We are so busy regulating what our kids can and can not pray/read/pledge we have forgotten that only healthy kids learn well and healthy kids require good nutrition, exercise (lots of it) and sunshine.  One or two crunchy Moms in charge of the school day would solve so many of our problems, the guys in suits have not done so well.. What is good for kids in Washington state is not going to work here in Georgia, our culture is different our climate is different and we need to let the State of Georgia take care of their own, give them their fair share of what is spent in Washington and watch us grow and develop a great school system.

Big Bird and federal dollars in his nest are not going to solve Childhood obesity, we can not afford all this fluff we are going to have to get the dollars to where they work and stop throwing them away.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Until ALL parents get on board and serve healthy food and get kids off the couch and computers, childhood obesity will not change no matter how much money is spent on it.

We are a very lazy society in general and it shows in obesity because parents and kids are so sedintary any more and the education our (general) kids are to lazy to get any more. Kids don't even want to "think" about anything to reach a logical conclusion.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Ohhhhh I see.  You think the Recovery Act is ONLY to create jobs.

http://www.recovery.gov/About/Pages/The_Act.aspx

So, trying to reduce the billions we spend each year on obesity related health issues, and be proactive on the many billions more we will spend in the near future if we don't get a grip on childhood obesity, is a BAD thing from an economic standpoint.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM

This actually happened in our elementary school. Several moms came together, connected the school to local farmers, and incorporated fresh, locally grown veggies into the school lunch. The menu is fantastic and I'm grateful for their efforts. My daughter is guaranteed a healthy lunch whether she brings it from home or buys it at school. 

Our school also has recess before lunch. That way the kids go outside, get their metabolisms revved up, burn off energy and then have a good meal. Afternoons are nice and mellow for the most part. lol

Quoting broncfan:

Childhood obesity is a problem in this country that is real and great, Type 2 diabetes is showing up in kids more and more everyday.  The answer is not in Big Bird, these kids eat what is put on the table educating parents is the only answer in order to prevent CHO, once a child becomes obese it is harder to keep the weight off, if they are able to lose it.. Common sense is lacking in our government.  The pitiful amount we can offer in foodstamps is one problem, the lack of education of parents is another, the cost of food is another and the dang TV is another.  We are so busy regulating what our kids can and can not pray/read/pledge we have forgotten that only healthy kids learn well and healthy kids require good nutrition, exercise (lots of it) and sunshine.  One or two crunchy Moms in charge of the school day would solve so many of our problems, the guys in suits have not done so well.. What is good for kids in Washington state is not going to work here in Georgia, our culture is different our climate is different and we need to let the State of Georgia take care of their own, give them their fair share of what is spent in Washington and watch us grow and develop a great school system.

Big Bird and federal dollars in his nest are not going to solve Childhood obesity, we can not afford all this fluff we are going to have to get the dollars to where they work and stop throwing them away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)