Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

FATHER OF FALLEN MARINE ANGRY OVER PRESIDENT OBAMA‘S 'DISRESPECTFUL' CONDOLENCE LETTER:

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM
  • 118 Replies
3 moms liked this

FATHER OF FALLEN MARINE ANGRY OVER PRESIDENT OBAMA‘S 'DISRESPECTFUL' CONDOLENCE LETTER: ‘WHERE IS THE HONOR?'

Tom Logan Angry Over President Obamas Impersonal Condolence Letter

USMC Cpl. Joseph D. Logan (KPRC)

The father of a fallen Navy SEAL is angry about a "disrespectful" and impersonal condolence letter from President Barack Obama.

Tom Logan told KPRC that the letter was "impersonal" and practically just a form letter. Further, KPRC discovered an additional condolence letter from Obama that is practically identical to the one sent to Tom Logan.

(To read the letters, scroll down)

"It opened up a wound in our heart you can't fix. You can't send another letter. You can't make it right," the father said.

Logan's son, USMC Cpl. Joseph D. Logan was killed on Jan. 19, 2012 when the helicopter he and five other men were riding in crashed. He was only 22-years-old.

Tom Logan says his son deserves more respect, as do other fallen heroes in the military. He believes Obama did little more than sign his name to the note.

"He would have been more mad about this than I am," Tom Logan added.

KPRC has more details:

Local 2 Investigates examined two other letters sent by Obama to families of soldiers killed in action. The one-page typed condolence letters were identical other than names, ranks and service branches.

There is no standard or written protocol that we could find dealing with presidential condolence letters.

"Different presidents have approached the task in ways that are unique with their personalities and their priorities," University of Houston Professor and Historian Nancy Beck Young said.

Young examined the letter written to Tom Logan, which arrived by UPS truck four months after his son's death.

"I would agree, this is a personal sacrifice and an impersonal condolence," Young said.

The University of Houston professor also compared Obama's condolence letters to the ones sent by former President George W. Bush. Young said Bush appeared to write more personal letters, sometimes even hand-written.

"I think it's an indication of how of how the office of the presidency works in the early 21st century," Young told KPRC.

USMC Cpl. Joseph Logan (KPRC)

USMC Cpl. Joseph D. Logan (KPRC)

That is unacceptable to Tom Logan and says that should never be the way it is.

"Where are the representatives of our government? Where is the honor and the respect that all of these soldiers deserve?" Logan asked.

The White House has not responded to KPRC's three requests for comment. The White House faced harsh criticism earlier this year when it was accused of using an "auto-pen" to sign condolence letters to the families of fallen Navy SEALs. The Obama administration has denied the accusations.

Here‘s one of the president's condolence letters via KPRC:

Condolence Letter 1 PDF

And here's a different letter sent by the president to the family of another fallen soldier:

Condolence Letter 2 PDF

(H/T: Weasel Zippers)

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeeperSqueak
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I heard about this on the radio this evening....Mark Levin. It's beyond disgusting how impersonal BO is to the fallen soldiers that he is supposedly Commander and Chief over !  I feel for the military that serve under this current administration to receive his royal snub.  I can't wait till he's taken out !

billsfan1104
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM
As much as I dislike Obama, from what I understand Bush sent out these type of letter. He did personalized it with his actual signature.. tell me if I am wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

In addition to Bush signing his own signature, he would include a personal hand-written note....not sure if he always did that though.

Quoting billsfan1104:

As much as I dislike Obama, from what I understand Bush sent out these type of letter. He did personalized it with his actual signature.. tell me if I am wrong.

Meli12
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM
8 moms liked this

It's time for this country to treat it's military with respect, we are nothing without them!!

ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

At least he didn't call them items on a laundry list. SMH

Euphoric
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I think you're right,.

Quoting billsfan1104:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
imamomzilla
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be upset too.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Dead soldiers don't vote, so why would Obama care?

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Bush also included a personally-written note with each letter.

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

I heard about this on the radio this evening....Mark Levin. It's beyond disgusting how impersonal BO is to the fallen soldiers that he is supposedly Commander and Chief over !  I feel for the military that serve under this current administration to receive his royal snub.  I can't wait till he's taken out !

PeeperSqueak
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
5 moms liked this

These two don't go together.....but I heard on the radio this morning (Chris Plant) that the victims families of the Fort Hood shooting have been pleading with BO to consider it a terrorist attack rather than a work place shooting......he won't. 

Poor excuse for a President : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN