Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM
5 moms liked this

I said in another reply that you quoted I'm NOT against PA, I'm against abuse of it. I'm against NOT fixing what's clearly broken within our government run agencies and starting new ones.

I can (unfortunately) name 2 people that treat public assistance as a career choice. THAT IS WHAT I'M AGAINST.

Many, many, moon ago my mother's sister was a single mom to my counsin then 2-4 years old (she's now in her 30's), and was on welfare. She worked her ass off to come off it. It's meant to be a stepping stone, a temporary bridge if you will, not a permanent lifetime career choice.

And honestly, get upset with the OP, who equated liberal ideals with "reading, drinking and having sex"...

Quoting samurai_chica:

You are aware that there is a large percentage or republicans on PA right?

The most poor country in the US is a conservative state...and a very good chunk of those conservatives are on welfare.

Stop assuming that all libs are jobless & not contributing to society...you are making yourself look ignorant.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

"Sounds like a fun party:free people who read books, drink and have sex."

That's the problem with most liberals..ALL they want to do is parrrrrty.

Put down Karma Sutra, the bottle of wine, extract yourselves from the orgi and:

GET A JOB, contribute to society, and stop whining and trying to live off other people's HARD EARNED MONEY/TAXES.

Geez...

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh thanks. I've just done as much research as I could because honestly Romney wasn't my ideal choice. So before I voted I wanted to really read what his plans are.

Investment advice, seriously, my dh, that man missed his calling. I have no idea how he does it but he does.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm going to bed. I just worked the 2nd of 4 consecutive 12hr night shifts. This is like 1am for me. LOL

Quoting imamomzilla:

I just want to say that you sound like one smart cookie...welcome to the group.

welcome

*whew!* JJ had me nervous, giving out investment advice. LOL

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Actually no I don't party. I pay my mortgage for my home that's valued more for taxes than if I sold it in the real estate market.

I pay FULL RATE TAXES..."claim zero and married but withhold at the single higher rate"

Save for my retirement

Pay my bills, on time every month

Saving for my kids' college tuition, which took a beating (lost money)

Drive to work, NOW paying $4 a gallon for gas.

SUPPORT my 2 children withOUT gov't help.

Pay for my eldest's college tuition..since our gov't run SALLIE MAE wanted to charge my 12.9% intrest on my son's student loan..their HIGHEST RATE. I called 6 banks..and found 1 that offers student loans without wanting a piece of my liver.

THAT'S what I've been doing with my money.

**I'm not against gov't assistance or PA, I'm against abuses of it.**

You talk as if you're a single man.  If you hadn't written you're married but file single so more money is withheld I'd be thinking you're a single mom.  So you file that way to make sure you don't have anything to pay come April 15th?  Not a good idea. 

It's best to keep as much as you can, perhaps in a CD or invested in blue chips.  Your money could be earning you interest or dividends.  Then you make the one lump sum payment or better yet, pay in installments while your money continues to earn interest.

The President has said he's working on getting colleges to bring down their tuitions or not raise them and he's also working on lowering interest on student loans; he's also working on giving people like you some tax breaks so relief is on the way!

I did that once..once..and had to pay the government $3000. Never again..NOT EVER. Don't get me wrong, my dh works, 50-60 hour weeks. But after 22 years at the same employer I'm in too deep to get out. I earn three times what my dh earns annually. If the dollar isn't strong (and right now it's not) it doesn't go as far..plus everything's going up, milk, eggs, gas, groceries in general.

My dh is SUPER good with investing. He did my Vanguard portfolio, and when the market swirled in the toilet whirlpool my portfolio lost some but not as much because of his choices. (my dh missed his calling..he should have been an investment advisor)

I've been waiting for tax breaks for 4 years...4 years..how long do I have to wait??? Especially when they were promised within the first 3 years. He promised to reduce the deficit within the first 4 years, he didn't. He promised to make college tuition more affordable within the first 4 years he didn't.He promised gas wouldn't go up, it's almost doubled. He promised SO many things, all he did was pass Obamacare..which technically wasn't his..it was Ted Kennedy's. I mean if Obamacare is so great then why don't our esteemed congressmen/women and president ditch their expensive exclusive deluxe plan they have that WE pay for?? AND they shouldn't get their congressional salaries for life..and they do. It's outrageous.

Sallie Mae is a government run lending agency...they gave me an intrest rate of 12.9% their highest rate. My credit score is well over 800, after I declined the loan they sent me the info that had my credit score on it..over 800. How is that making college more affordable...to anyone?? 12.9%??

If our government went to a simple flat tax, no one would need deductions, and the IRS could be trimmed down significantly. AND our government would have MORE than enough money for all they wanted. NO deductions, no loopholes. A simple flat tax for everyone..Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, Mitt Romney, even Barak Obama...sorry I digressed into Wonderland. ;)

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Most Libs i know, including myself...are against that as well. I don't know one liberal who is FOR anyone abusing the system.

I to have known people in the past who abused the shit out of the system. One of my best friend's mom ran a daycare out of her house while also on just about every PA you can get out of the government. They were rich people with all that extra free income. They had WAY more than i did growing up, and my parents are educated hard working people. I have seen it myself & it does disgust me...there are people out there who truely need it & cannot get it because of the ones who abuse the system.

I hear day in & day out, that liberals are jobless, stupid losers that don't contribute to society...and hearing that does bother me. I really hate the generalizations coming from the left & right.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I said in another reply that you quoted I'm NOT against PA, I'm against abuse of it. I'm against NOT fixing what's clearly broken within our government run agencies and starting new ones.

I can (unfortunately) name 2 people that treat public assistance as a career choice. THAT IS WHAT I'M AGAINST.

Many, many, moon ago my mother's sister was a single mom to my counsin then 2-4 years old (she's now in her 30's), and was on welfare. She worked her ass off to come off it. It's meant to be a stepping stone, a temporary bridge if you will, not a permanent lifetime career choice.

And honestly, get upset with the OP, who equated liberal ideals with "reading, drinking and having sex"...

Quoting samurai_chica:

You are aware that there is a large percentage or republicans on PA right?

The most poor country in the US is a conservative state...and a very good chunk of those conservatives are on welfare.

Stop assuming that all libs are jobless & not contributing to society...you are making yourself look ignorant.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

GET A JOB, contribute to society, and stop whining and trying to live off other people's HARD EARNED MONEY/TAXES.

Geez...

JonJon
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You make a lot of statements without backing them up; not your personal stuff, the other stuff.

SLM Corporation is a publicly traded corporation.  It's student loans are (were?) guranteed by the Feds.  While the Feds may influence their interest rates, I guess they have the right to set their own. 

I didn't say the President said he was going to give you the best interest rates on your loans, only that he was asking colleges to bring down tuitions and he was going to ask for lower interest on student loans.  You found only one bank that had a lower tax rate than Sallie Mae. 

So what interest rate did the other bank give you?

I don't know why you're crabbing about the benefits of working as a civil servant.  Used to be employers had good benefits packages to entice people to apply to work for them but not anymore.  In my opinion the big, private employers have conspired to make jobs so scarce by sending them overseas and employing illegals Americans are working for scraps.

The bennies for civil service are always good which is why it's a good gig to get.   

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Actually no I don't party. I pay my mortgage for my home that's valued more for taxes than if I sold it in the real estate market.

I pay FULL RATE TAXES..."claim zero and married but withhold at the single higher rate"

Save for my retirement

Pay for my eldest's college tuition..since our gov't run SALLIE MAE wanted to charge my 12.9% intrest on my son's student loan..their HIGHEST RATE. I called 6 banks..and found 1 that offers student loans without wanting a piece of my liver.

You talk as if you're a single man.  If you hadn't written you're married but file single so more money is withheld I'd be thinking you're a single mom.  So you file that way to make sure you don't have anything to pay come April 15th?  Not a good idea. 

It's best to keep as much as you can, perhaps in a CD or invested in blue chips.  Your money could be earning you interest or dividends.  Then you make the one lump sum payment or better yet, pay in installments while your money continues to earn interest.

The President has said he's working on getting colleges to bring down their tuitions or not raise them and he's also working on lowering interest on student loans; he's also working on giving people like you some tax breaks so relief is on the way!

I did that once..once..and had to pay the government $3000. Never again..NOT EVER. Don't get me wrong, my dh works, 50-60 hour weeks. But after 22 years at the same employer I'm in too deep to get out. I earn three times what my dh earns annually. If the dollar isn't strong (and right now it's not) it doesn't go as far..plus everything's going up, milk, eggs, gas, groceries in general.

My dh is SUPER good with investing. He did my Vanguard portfolio, and when the market swirled in the toilet whirlpool my portfolio lost some but not as much because of his choices. (my dh missed his calling..he should have been an investment advisor)

I've been waiting for tax breaks for 4 years...4 years..how long do I have to wait??? Especially when they were promised within the first 3 years. He promised to reduce the deficit within the first 4 years, he didn't. He promised to make college tuition more affordable within the first 4 years he didn't.He promised gas wouldn't go up, it's almost doubled. He promised SO many things, all he did was pass Obamacare..which technically wasn't his..it was Ted Kennedy's. I mean if Obamacare is so great then why don't our esteemed congressmen/women and president ditch their expensive exclusive deluxe plan they have that WE pay for?? AND they shouldn't get their congressional salaries for life..and they do. It's outrageous.

Sallie Mae is a government run lending agency...they gave me an intrest rate of 12.9% their highest rate. My credit score is well over 800, after I declined the loan they sent me the info that had my credit score on it..over 800. How is that making college more affordable...to anyone?? 12.9%??

If our government went to a simple flat tax, no one would need deductions, and the IRS could be trimmed down significantly. AND our government would have MORE than enough money for all they wanted. NO deductions, no loopholes. A simple flat tax for everyone..Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, Mitt Romney, even Barak Obama...sorry I digressed into Wonderland. ;)

JonJon
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I still believe the $3000 would be better sitting in your bank account than the Fed's.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Oh thanks. I've just done as much research as I could because honestly Romney wasn't my ideal choice. So before I voted I wanted to really read what his plans are.

Investment advice, seriously, my dh, that man missed his calling. I have no idea how he does it but he does.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm going to bed. I just worked the 2nd of 4 consecutive 12hr night shifts. This is like 1am for me. LOL

Quoting imamomzilla:

welcome

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Save for my retirement

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

That's always been our accountant's advice.  Why give the government an interest-free loan?

Quoting JonJon:

I still believe the $3000 would be better sitting in your bank account than the Fed's.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Thanks for the welcome.

Quoting imamomzilla:

welcome

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Save for my retirement

WinningWinning
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I lean liberal and am offended by your stereotype frankly.

Many liberals are logical, self controlled, creative, monogamous, well learned on social graces and are moral.

It's mottos like this why others don't take us seriously.
WinningWinning
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Quoting imamomzilla:

It's also the prefix for LIBERTINE- n. licentious person

1. Lacking moral discipline or ignoring legal restraint, especially in sexual conduct.

2. Having no regard for accepted rules or standards.

Yes, SOME Staunch liberals hate rules, they will be the first to admit it after rephrasing their response. The ideal is, if you don't raise the moral, right-wrong bar very high, then when you do screw up you can always fall back on the fact that you never claimed to be much for moral ethics in the first place. This is not an offense. I personally know many liberals that will agree to this with no problem. Again, I lean liberal but do not adhere to this thought process.
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM

lol... 

cute Kissy....

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

clapping

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Geez...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)