Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Replies (71-77):
WinningWinning
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Accepted. :)

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting: RCCMOM:

"and now I really see the humor"

If you wish, share with me that humor that you see that I am not able to. I will be open to receiving what you have to say.

Sorry, missed that. I deleted and responded above. My previous answer, in red, was flippant, and I apologize.

Gotta get my son to his ortho appt.

Me.and.Them
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does "drink" = "drunk" and why does "have sex" = "sleeps with everyone they see"? 

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Because if you come from a strictly black/white, taker/maker, us/them world that's what those things mean. Anything perceived "indulgent" is bad and those who indulge are hedonisic.

Quoting Me.and.Them:

Why does "drink" = "drunk" and why does "have sex" = "sleeps with everyone they see"? 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting WinningWinning:

I deleted my last reply. Let me be serious for a moment. It is humorous because it is not supposed to be taken as serious. Really, just fun. Is it an excuse to say what I really feel? I don't think so, not really.

As for jealousy. I think some people are jealous of those who can poke fun at themselves, and are comfortable in their own skins. I think some are jealous and secretly wish they could be as free.

Perhaps we might want to focus on the perception of what being "free" is....

To some being free does not mean being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whom ever you want....

To some, freedom is much bigger than social functions or personal interests or preference and tempting lusts of the flesh.

To some, being 'free' means being free from the need to get drunk, or to have sex with many others or to lust. 

To some, freedom is truly a state of mind that comes naturally.....with no struggle, no regret.

Perhaps some are envious of this perception of freedom as  well?

Now that is a discussion I can sink my teeth into. What is freedom? I absolutely agree that being free does not mean doing whatever you want, whenever you want, and with whomever one wants.  That is a child's idea of freedom. If we are simply ruled by our passions, we are not free, but a slave to our passions instead.

I do not know that I agree that freedom is a state of mind that comes naturally, but maybe it does. Maybe it is all the years of social pressure, and such that drives such freedom from some.

True freedom, in part, is being free to be who you are. But to be free to be who you are means you have to know who you are, and accept who you are. Too much of our lives can be spent worrying about being what everyone and everthing else wants us to be, whether it is a teen-ager giving into peer pressure, or a mom giving into what society says her role should be.

I am free to be a liberal, and claim that word not as a negative, but as a positive. I spent some years being a conservative, but it never did quite fit me. As the conservative party moved farther right, I felt more and more out of place. At the same time, I can totally agree that a liberal may be trying to simply please their liberal peers, parents, or whatever, and would better fit as a conservative to be true to their nature.

So to be free is to be true to your own nature. That is the type of freedom I think anyone would envy, and one that I strive towards. God only made one me, and God only made one you. To be less than ourselves is to deny God what He created, and to be a slave to something else.  

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ok, Thanks, just trying to be clear.

Quoting Clairwil:

Yes, I know.   I was agreeing with you, backing you up by providing additional detail.

Quoting Carpy:

I understand that which was the purpose of my post.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Carpy:

Many of the younger generation do not realize what they think is liberalsim is not.

"Liberal" comes from the Latin adjective "liberalis" which means "Of or pertaining to freedom".

Liberalism,
as a philosophical philosophy, developed during the Age of
Enlightenment, as a contrast to monarchy and societies where not
everyone was equal because there were nobles at one end  (with
additional rights) and slaves at the other end (with fewer rights).

Liberal
democracy is the form of government in which representative democracy
operates under the principles of liberalism. It is characterized by
fair, free, and competitive elections between multiple distinct
political parties, a separation of powers into different branches of
government, the rule of law in everyday life as part of an open society,
and the protection of human rights and civil liberties for all persons.
To define the system in practice, liberal democracies often draw upon a
constitution, either formally written or uncodified, to delineate the
powers of government and enshrine the social contract.   Liberals
support capitalism (not necessarily Laissez-faire capitalism, but at
least some private ownership of the means of production and the creation
of goods or services for profit), and a free press.

Liberalism is
the most successful political philosophy ever developed, and vast
majority of the Earth's most successful countries are liberal.   They
include: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, India,
Israel, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, Peru, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Britain and, yes, The United States of America.

So why the confusion?   Why do many now use "Liberal" as an insult?

The
Liberal Mindset, of freedom and equality, is a broad one, with room for
quite a bit of variance within its bounds.   There are two main
strands:

I
think the confusion in America is due to the right forgetting that they
count as Liberals too, and leaving the word solely to refer to social
liberals.

shimamab
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Maybe I should just go full lib. I get accused of being one on here quite often, I love to read, and I could use a party right now. ;)
imamomzilla
It's been a while!
Yesterday at 3:01 PM
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

LOL. Time to come out of the closet, shim!

Quoting shimamab:

Maybe I should just go full lib. I get accused of being one on here quite often, I love to read, and I could use a party right now. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)