Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney says abortion legislation is not part of his agenda now

Posted by   + Show Post

Mitt Romney today said no abortion legislation is part of his agenda, but he would prohibit federally-funded international nonprofits from providing abortions in other countries.

“There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda,” the GOP presidential candidate told The Des Moines Register’s editorial board during a meeting today before his campaign rally at a Van Meter farm.

But by executive order, not by legislation, he would reinstate the so-called Mexico City policy that bans U.S. foreign aid dollars from being used to do abortions, he said.

President Barack Obama dropped the policy on his tenth day in office, Romney said.

Romney has said he opposes abortion, except in instances of rape, incest and when the mother’s life is threatened.

The Obama campaign quickly seized on Romney’s abortion comments Tuesday, sending out a news release accusing Romney of contradicting himself because he has said he would appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade.

Obama’s Iowa spokeswoman, Erin Seidler argued that Romney contradicted himself because has said he supports the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions.

However, the Hyde Amendment is already part of current law. And Romney has said he would appoint justices who are not activist judges.

Romney aides rejected the idea that he contradicted himself.

Spokeswoman Andrea Saul said: “Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life and will be a pro-life president.”

(link)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Replies (21-22):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I'm not a fan of abortion either. But I don't feel it's my place to tell another woman what to do with her body. I'm more pro-choice than pro-abortion if that makes any sense.

Quoting erika9009:

I think Daddy Bush, Reagan, and GW personally would have like to have seen Roe vs Wade repealed.  However, it's not in anyway realistic now a days. 

I may not be a fan of abortion, but in someways I'm glad it's an option I can choose.  Honestly, the only reason I'd have one now is if I was raped.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It's a scare tatic that unfortunately works. I know of 2 women that have outright said they're sticking with Obama because of Romney's views on abortion. Sad...that you take 1 piece and not look at the whole picture.

The dems have shown the same abortion ads against republicans for years. They claimed Daddy Bush and George W. would repeal Roe v. Wade...they didn't.

Enough already.

Quoting erika9009:

Good, He needs to concentrate on the economy. 

All this birth control and abortion talk was a distraction used by the Dems to not focus on the poor economy.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not directly but his policies can influence it.

BUT.. the message is... women are hurting BECAUSE the bad economy is hitting us RIGHT in the pocketbook.  All this crapola side talk that Obama has tried so hard to focus on is the sign of a weak president.

WE DESERVE MORE FROM THIS ADMINISTRATION

WE WERE PROMISED MORE FROM THIS ADMINISTRATION

WE DEMAND BETTER

Quoting Aslen:

again..... the POTUS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GAS PRICES.

Quoting Jambo4:

Of course not... it was never an important component of what he was running on.. the whole "war on women" was something the ORDC (Obama re-election Deflection committee) was trying to push.  (use Obama ads at CM as an example)

His agenda HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE ECONOMY!

Think of the little ones... Americans can't bear another 4 years of Obama!

Speak out, all Mama Bears on behalf of our children! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN