Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

TAPPER CONFRONTS WHITE HOUSE ON CRUMBLING LIBYA STORY: ‘DIDN'T PRESIDENT OBAMA SHOOT FIRST AND AIM LATER?'

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
2 moms liked this

ABC'S JAKE TAPPER CONFRONTS WHITE HOUSE ON CRUMBLING LIBYA STORY: ‘DIDN'T PRESIDENT OBAMA SHOOT FIRST AND AIM LATER?'

Jake Tapper Confronts White House on Crumbling Libya Story: Didnt President Obama Shoot First and Aim Later?

Jake Tapper (Photo: AP)

ABC‘s Jake Tapper confronted White House Press Secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday about the Obama administration's inconsistent account of the terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Tapper explained that President Barack Obama initially accused GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney of "shooting first and aiming later" after he criticized an apologetic statement released by a U.S. Embassy, which falls under the Obama administration. Today, it is clear that the attack had nothing to do with any anti-Muslim YouTube video as the White House initially claimed. In fact, the State Department announced on Tuesday that there weren't even protests outside the Libya compound before the attack.

These facts led Tapper to ask the reasonable question: "Didn't President Obama shoot first and aim later?"

"I think your assessment about what we know now is not complete," Carney replied.

"I'm just going by what the State Department said yesterday," Tapper shot back.

Carney said there were protests in Cairo and other parts of the Middle East in response to the video, seemingly side-stepping the question.

"They said yesterday there was no protest," Tapper interjected. "I'm talking about Benghazi."

Carney said initial reports from the "intelligence community" suggested the attack may have been related to the video. He also called the situation in Libya "a moving picture."

Watch the clip below (the interaction starts around 2:35):

Front page image via AP.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Jay Carney is another lying pile of manure. I wouldn't believe him if his tongue came notorized. 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Jay Carney, yet another piece of shit member of the BO admin.
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM
4 moms liked this

Basically, what we can surmise is, Romney was right.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

sidesplittinglaughterTHAT is too funny. I canNOT stop laughing.

It's kinda a visual.

Quoting Xlandria:

Jay Carney is another lying pile of manure. I wouldn't believe him if his tongue came notorized. 

brandydesiree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Obama's admin is just digging him deeper and deeper in shit. That's why Obama wants everyone to vote early....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting brandydesiree:

Obama's admin is just digging him deeper and deeper in shit. That's why Obama wants everyone to vote early....

....and often.

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

rolling on floor

Quoting 29again:

Quoting brandydesiree:

....and often.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Obama's statement the day after the attack:

Quote:

The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack.  We’re working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats.  I’ve also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world.  And make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.  

Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths.  We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.

But there is absolutely no justification for this type of senseless violence.  None.  The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts. Already many Libyans have joined us in doing so, and this attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya. Libyan security personnel fought back against the attackers alongside Americans.  Libyans helped some of our diplomats find safety, and they carried Ambassador Stevens’ body to the hospital, where we tragically learned that he had tied.

Romney's statement:

Quote:

"I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt," the Republican presidential candidate said in a statement.

"It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathise with those who waged the attacks."

The Obama campaign quickly fired back, with spokesman Ben LaBolt accusing Romney of launching a "political attack" on a day of tragedy.

"We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack," he said.

Did the blaze, bastion of non-biased truth and honesty, leave something out of this exchange?  Or was that pretty much it?

29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quote:

The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack.  We’re working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats.  I’ve also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world.  And make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.  

Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths.  We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.

But there is absolutely no justification for this type of senseless violence.  None.  The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts. Already many Libyans have joined us in doing so, and this attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya. Libyan security personnel fought back against the attackers alongside Americans.  Libyans helped some of our diplomats find safety, and they carried Ambassador Stevens’ body to the hospital, where we tragically learned that he had tied.

Romney's statement:

Quote:

"I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt," the Republican presidential candidate said in a statement.

"It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathise with those who waged the attacks."

The Obama campaign quickly fired back, with spokesman Ben LaBolt accusing Romney of launching a "political attack" on a day of tragedy.

"We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack," he said.

Did the blaze, bastion of non-biased truth and honesty, leave something out of this exchange?  Or was that pretty much it?

There was the statement from the embassy in Cairo first. 

The U.S. embassy in Cairo released the following statement

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

Then the people of Cairo stormed the walls of the embassy and tore down the flag, blaming that now-infamous video.  The embassy stood by its apology. 

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

What does that have to do with anything?

We are moving farther and farther away from "Obama lied!" When he didn't say anything about this.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quote:

Romney's statement:

Quote:

There was the statement from the embassy in Cairo first. 

The U.S. embassy in Cairo released the following statement

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

Then the people of Cairo stormed the walls of the embassy and tore down the flag, blaming that now-infamous video.  The embassy stood by its apology. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN