Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama: I Was "Just Too Polite" with Romney

Posted by   + Show Post

By Aaron Goldstein on 10.10.12 @ 5:02PM

President Obama just can't let that bad debate go.

During a radio interview this morning, Obama attributed his subpar performance to being "too polite" with Mitt Romney.

President Obama can be accused of being many things. Being too polite isn't one of them. If looking down at your shoes and appearing otherwise irritable is Obama's idea of being polite then I don't think he's going to help himself by being angry. While I suspect he won't adopt a southern accent, demagoguery does not become him whatever his dialect.

Clearly Obama just doesn't get it. He didn't lose the debate on account of being too polite. He lost because he had no energy, could not defend his record in office and, as I argued yesterday,just wasn't intelligent enough to be in the same room with Romney.

(The American Spectator)

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Those eggs are talking more sense than the Op!

JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm getting the impression that you guys need to go back and watch the debate a couple more times.

The President was soft-spoken and controlled, he made definite statements as to what he's done and will continue to do while Romney said a whole lot of nothing.

It's surprised me that even the political "experts" decided the President could have done better because he was polite rather than being loutish the way Romney was.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

While watching the debate, it looked to me as if he thought that his smirks, scoffs, and disinterest were answering for him.  Polite?  No way.  A polite person makes eye contact with the person, keeps a slight smile or straight face, and is interested in the other person's position.  I did not see that in the debate.  We the people needed to actually hear what was going on in his head when he was making what appeared to me to be smirks and scoffs.  We were not enlightened and we decided he lost the debate.  You can't win a debate with the things you are thinking....it needs to actually come out of your mouth.  Someone needs to tell him this.

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Obama didn't smack that smirk off of Romenys face so i will say he was very polite.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

His spoken words may have been polite, but his mannerisms were not.  He would have made a better impression if he had come out and said that he thought Romney was mistaken in x, y, and z.  He didn't.  He shook his head, scoffed at some of Romney's comments, shifted like he was agitated... however, he did not come out and say what was wrong and how it was wrong. 

Also I taught debate for 3 years in Virginia.  I always told my kids to either look at the back row of the audience or the moderator with a relaxed smile or straight face while the opposition was speaking.  Make VERY brief notes to yourself very quickly when a point strikes you during their speech.  Make sure to use the notes to articulate what you were thinking.  The moderator or judge has no idea what you are thinking and thoughts aren't debate.  You need to say it for it to count.

President Obama lost that debate and not because he was too polite.  I hope he brushes up on numbers and comes out swinging in the next debate because this one really bored me.

Quoting JonJon:

I'm getting the impression that you guys need to go back and watch the debate a couple more times.

The President was soft-spoken and controlled, he made definite statements as to what he's done and will continue to do while Romney said a whole lot of nothing.

It's surprised me that even the political "experts" decided the President could have done better because he was polite rather than being loutish the way Romney was.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

While watching the debate, it looked to me as if he thought that his smirks, scoffs, and disinterest were answering for him.  Polite?  No way.  A polite person makes eye contact with the person, keeps a slight smile or straight face, and is interested in the other person's position.  I did not see that in the debate.  We the people needed to actually hear what was going on in his head when he was making what appeared to me to be smirks and scoffs.  We were not enlightened and we decided he lost the debate.  You can't win a debate with the things you are thinking....it needs to actually come out of your mouth.  Someone needs to tell him this.

JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM

You obviously never received training in how to objectively and accurately judge a debate.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

His spoken words may have been polite, but his mannerisms were not.  He would have made a better impression if he had come out and said that he thought Romney was mistaken in x, y, and z.  He didn't.  He shook his head, scoffed at some of Romney's comments, shifted like he was agitated... however, he did not come out and say what was wrong and how it was wrong. 

Also I taught debate for 3 years in Virginia.  I always told my kids to either look at the back row of the audience or the moderator with a relaxed smile or straight face while the opposition was speaking.  Make VERY brief notes to yourself very quickly when a point strikes you during their speech.  Make sure to use the notes to articulate what you were thinking.  The moderator or judge has no idea what you are thinking and thoughts aren't debate.  You need to say it for it to count.

President Obama lost that debate and not because he was too polite.  I hope he brushes up on numbers and comes out swinging in the next debate because this one really bored me.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I judged high school debates while in college and I (again) taught debate to high school students.  Seeing as how I am not voting for either of these gentlemen, I believe that I am a bit more objective than most.  But whatever you want to believe.

Quoting JonJon:

You obviously never received training in how to objectively and accurately judge a debate.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Me.and.Them
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I thought he came off as calm and collected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I want to address the pundits' insistence the President "failed" in not mentioning Romney's 47% statements and this is as good a place as any.

The President is an extremely intelligent man.  That debate was about the economy, not about sensitivity to a particular segment of people.  The President is an extremely pragmatic man; he would have had to find some excuse to work that off-topic situation into the debate and he would not have looked good doing it.  If Romney didn't say it was off-topic, Lehrer most certainly would have said so and how would it look for the President to be admonished for going off-topic just to attack Romney for being an insensitive, out-of-touch with the common man boor?

The President is a lawyer; you never broach a subject or ask a question without knowing what the response is going to be.  I've seen something Romney said about the statement but it didn't make an impression because I can't remember what it was.  I'll have to go do some googgling.  Besides, he probably guessed Romney was ready with an answer and thought maybe not mentioning it would disappoint Romney.

By the time of the next debate, which will be a more informal town meeting-style setting, the President will have all Romney's statements gathered and can stick it to him then though he may never bring up the subject, being the gentleman and pragmatist he is.  See, he knows how to just let some things gestate while the public draws our own conclusions on certain statements or actions. 

PeeperSqueak
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not so much that BO did poorly.....I'm looking at it more now as Mitt did exceptionally well : )  That's WHY Mitt Romney won the debate.

JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM

You may not be voting for either but I've only seen you act pro-Romney.  Or anti-Obama.  Have I missed all the stuff you've written as to why you believe Romney should not be president?

Considering how jugmental you are, I'll bet you did a lousy job of judging high school debates.  High school debates are a bit different from Presidential debates, wouldn't you say?  I lot more hinges on them?

You are not objective and contradicted yourself.  You said the President was rude because of his behavior; shook his head (better than just shouting an interruption when he disagreed), scoffed?  I wonder what scoffing looks like to you.  I saw the President knit his eyebrows once when Romney said something he thought was incorrect.  Is that scoffing?  He's a human being; he reacts when someone tells a lie and Romney told a few.  The President shifted in an irritated way?  How about he was standing on a stage for 90 minutes and shifted to give that side of his body a rest?  I noticed how the President spent most of the time with his body weight resting on his left leg; the President is left-handed (means he's in his right mind) and left-legged be he had to give his leg a rest.

It's interesting, yet again to see the varying perspectives.  Did you correct all those people complaining the President didn't look at Romney, choosing instead to look at the audience, the camera, or the moderator?  I would seriously appreciate it if you'd provide me a link to the page(s) where you did that.

I always believe whatever I want to believe.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I judged high school debates while in college and I (again) taught debate to high school students.  Seeing as how I am not voting for either of these gentlemen, I believe that I am a bit more objective than most.  But whatever you want to believe.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)