Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: I Was "Just Too Polite" with Romney

Posted by   + Show Post

By Aaron Goldstein on 10.10.12 @ 5:02PM

President Obama just can't let that bad debate go.

During a radio interview this morning, Obama attributed his subpar performance to being "too polite" with Mitt Romney.

President Obama can be accused of being many things. Being too polite isn't one of them. If looking down at your shoes and appearing otherwise irritable is Obama's idea of being polite then I don't think he's going to help himself by being angry. While I suspect he won't adopt a southern accent, demagoguery does not become him whatever his dialect.

Clearly Obama just doesn't get it. He didn't lose the debate on account of being too polite. He lost because he had no energy, could not defend his record in office and, as I argued yesterday,just wasn't intelligent enough to be in the same room with Romney.

(The American Spectator)

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (41-50):
JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The worm turns.  You're just as nasty as momzilla!  You two should have gotten along before coming together in common disdain of me! 

That attributing to me that which I did not say and which is not in evidence is typical of what she and her crew does!  LOL!  She must be getting quite the thrill looking at us "liberals" going at each other in her post while she gives herself credit for this!

How long do you want to entertain her this way?  I've got all day.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You're a self-righteous, self-indulgent twit? Got it!

Blueroof didn't pm. See...she's got kids and a farm, and based on the time, I'm going to guess she's a bit busy right now.

And as far as zilla goes, you just stay out of it.

Quoting JonJon:

I don't go after people, they come after me; you know, just as you have done.  I answer them.  You, nor they, have to like it but you have to accept it.  I give the replies that suit me, not you, not them. 

I suspected she was a buddy.  Did she whine to you in pm? 

LOL!  And now momzilla loves you!  Just like in the Kidd Rock/Sean Penn video!  Hey, if it bring you two together in harmony, more power to you.

Obama isn't going to lose or win the President based on what little ol' me writes on little ol' CM!  I am not THAT arrogant! 

bouncing  I am not Obama; he is not I!  Anyone who makes that correlation shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Then how about this, JonJon?

Bluerooffarm is one of the nicest, most intelligent women on this board. She has been here for months and has been nothing but an ASSET to the group. 

You, on the other hand have come on here swinging, taking on all the regular right wingers. That's great and all, but you've gone after two really nice members and acting kind of like an asshole to people who have actually engaged in DEBATE instead of this garbage you're tossing around.

You may not care what other women on here think about you, but consider this: YOU AREN'T DOING OBAMA ANY FAVORS BY ACTING LIKE A JACKHOLE.

Something you are free to think about or, conversely, ignore.

Makes no difference to me.

Quoting JonJon:

Dedicate your energies to cultivating your own image.  I'm not worried about mine.

All liberals are not equal, and not everyone who calls herself a liberal, is.  We don't all have to think or be the same.  That's the glory of being American.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Back off, JJ. 

You're starting to look like a fool.

Sincerely, 

A Fellow Liberal

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I'm not managing you. I'm calling it like I see it. I already told you you were free to ignore it. 

I'm not trying to impress anyone, but as a long time member of this group, I wanted to say something about how you've treated a really good member. Seeing as this is an open forum, I can totally do that. You can turn on me and make all sorts of assumptions and accusations, but I'm just not that interested.

I will grant you this: you have fabulous taste in font color.

Quoting JonJon:

I didn't say it was you.  I have not ever believed you a fool but it's foolish for anyone to try to "manage" me to impress their friends.

It's a painting of a fool which I like.  I like fools; their job is to make people laugh and laughter is the best medicine.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You can see me?

Oh, no...wait...my avi's a PAINTING. That's not me, Silly.

Quoting JonJon:

Oh, by the way; it made me giggle to read those words while looking at the face of a fool.  :)

april fools

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Jameyluv
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM

OBAMA 2012american flag ribbon

blondekosmic15
Wishing everyone a very happy new year~
Saturday at 7:08 PM
by Blonde on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Obama didn't smack that smirk off of Romenys face so i will say he was very polite.

Obama constantly looking down with a smirk when his opponent is talking to him is far from being polite!

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait? You're accusing me of pm'ing people and trying to impress, while at the same time saying I'm putting words in your mouth without evidence?

Too funny, JJ. Too funny!

And don't worry, zilla's entertainment and thrills are just by-products. She's easily amused, I've found. 

Quoting JonJon:

The worm turns.  You're just as nasty as momzilla!  You two should have gotten along before coming together in common disdain of me! 

That attributing to me that which I did not say and which is not in evidence is typical of what she and her crew does!  LOL!  She must be getting quite the thrill looking at us "liberals" going at each other in her post while she gives herself credit for this!

How long do you want to entertain her this way?  I've got all day.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You're a self-righteous, self-indulgent twit? Got it!

Blueroof didn't pm. See...she's got kids and a farm, and based on the time, I'm going to guess she's a bit busy right now.

And as far as zilla goes, you just stay out of it.

Quoting JonJon:

I don't go after people, they come after me; you know, just as you have done.  I answer them.  You, nor they, have to like it but you have to accept it.  I give the replies that suit me, not you, not them. 

LOL!  And now momzilla loves you!  Just like in the Kidd Rock/Sean Penn video!  Hey, if it bring you two together in harmony, more power to you.

Obama isn't going to lose or win the President based on what little ol' me writes on little ol' CM!  I am not THAT arrogant! 

bouncing  I am not Obama; he is not I!  Anyone who makes that correlation shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Bluerooffarm is one of the nicest, most intelligent women on this board. She has been here for months and has been nothing but an ASSET to the group. 

You, on the other hand have come on here swinging, taking on all the regular right wingers. That's great and all, but you've gone after two really nice members and acting kind of like an asshole to people who have actually engaged in DEBATE instead of this garbage you're tossing around.

You may not care what other women on here think about you, but consider this: YOU AREN'T DOING OBAMA ANY FAVORS BY ACTING LIKE A JACKHOLE.

Quoting JonJon:

Dedicate your energies to cultivating your own image.  I'm not worried about mine.

All liberals are not equal, and not everyone who calls herself a liberal, is.  We don't all have to think or be the same.  That's the glory of being American.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Back off, JJ. 

Sincerely, 

A Fellow Liberal

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

My dear Jon-Jon,

Again, I LISTENED to the debate. No, it's not obsessive to count "uh's/um's" , when we do this every week at Toastmasters.  And, when someone does it as often as Pres. Obama during this last debate, it is very distracting and makes it hard to focus on his points. 

We've never given a sitting president a pass on debate speeches during any election cycle. Why would we do it now?  I think it is clear evidence of  insufficient debate prep. Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

I think it's very evident that Obama has not been focused on his job, but more on his campaign. He's found time in the last 5 weeks or so to do interviews with Letterman, the View, People magazine, DJ "Pimp with a Limp", Beyonce, Jay-Z, Nickelodeon, and the radio station that asked questions like "Which color do you like better, red or green?" - but not serious interviews with serious journalists.  And he was too busy with a fundraiser in Vegas to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. The Letterman show, where Obama said how busy he is with work, was taped prior to Sept. 11, when Obama was busy at campaign events.  

And Obama's administration was responsible for removing 34 security staff from Benghazi earlier this year, not posting Marines at any embassies or consulates in terrorist states in the Middle East, while providing a full contingent of Marines at the embassy in peaceful Sweden. And the administration denied multiple requests from Ambassador Stevens for additional security in Benghazi, even telling the Benghazi consulate to stop asking for more security, despite multiple attacks on the consulate this year -- while spending $100M on Chevy Volt cars for the Swedish embassy. Priorities. After the terrorist attack where 4 Americans were assassinated, the Obama administration did a cover-up, denying for a week that it was a terrorist attack, even though they knew right away that it was. And then, Obama decided to attend 100% of his Daily Security Briefings, up from his 40-something percent during all but 3-1/2 months of his term. 

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president. 

Quoting JonJon:

Um...weren't you one of those people calling ME obsessive?  I never would have bothered to watch the debate again just to count the ums and uhs. 

Uh...your points are interesting and what you said at the end is most true but ahhhh...I have another take on ums, uhs and ahs.

People who choose their words carefully and who are thinking before speaking make those sounds.  If you have what you want to say well-rehearsed and Romney has nothing but time to rehearse and lots of time to rest and sleep while the President has many, many demands on him on any given day.  Romney was refreshed and clear while the President is tired and works hard everyday for we ingrates therefore has not much time to commit everything he wanted to say to memory but basically said what he did based on knowledge of how things are.

And there's still hankygate!  Thanks for giving me a chance to say hankygate!  LOL!

I believe the President is going to perhaps cut into his "me" time  and time with the family to rehearse more and get more sleep so he'll be at optimum prime Tuesday.

Quoting SallyMJ:

OK, folks - new information (at least I haven't seen it):  Watched (listened, actually) to the debates again, this time counting the number of "uh's" and "um's" by each candidate: 

Pres. Obama: 318 (avg of 1 every 20 seconds)                                                                                       Romney: 48 (avg of 1 every 2 minutes)

So Obama did it 6.6 times as often as Romney. Of course they did not occur regularly, evenly spaced out. It tended to be in clusters, a little at the beginning of sentences, mostly in the middle, rarely at the end.  

Of course, this has nothing to do with a candidate's ideas or body language. In Toastmasters Clubs, as we are working on our public speaking skills, we make a conscious effort to limit our "filler words". Someone at the meeting counts them for everyone who speaks and then reports on them at the end of the meeting. We try to keep them in the single digits. If Obama and Romney had given the typical approx. 10 minute speech, Romney would have had 5 "uh/um's"; Obama, 35. Of course, there is far more pressure to speak in a 90 min. presidential debate in front of 70 million people, than a 10 min. speech in a TM meeting in front of 20 people.

Most people use filler words, like "uh" and "um", at times; the moderator did just about every time he spoke.  But the more you use them, it can make you look unsure of yourself, perhaps forgetful of your points, less prepared, less confident. It's not always a conscious action, and focusing on it during the debate would probably diminish a candidate's attention and planned responses to the points made by the other candidate. However, it's definitely something that can be worked on during debate prep. I'm pretty sure Obama - who did not do as much of this in 2008 - will likely improve in this area in the next two debates. 

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

First, you quoted me, I did not "come after" you. 

If it mattered, I'd go see if that's right.  I wasn't trying to insult you.  Did I say something insulting?  I was positing my pov.   

2.  You didn't answer anything after I gave the reasons I'm not for Romney either.

I had nothing to say.  What did you expect me to say?

3.  I don't whine to anyone on PM.

I don't know why Kate butted in, then if not to impress you. 

4.  I like Kate AND I like Zilla.  They are both great gals and both FUNNY!!

To each his own. 

and 5.  a politician's supporters can reflect on the politician.

Basing one's vote solely on what others say rather than what the politican says is not a very intelligent way to make a decision how to vote.  I'm just expressing my opinions!  I'm not campaigning!  Geezaloo!

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Back off, JJ. 

Sincerely, 

A Fellow Liberal

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Wow. Just wow. He and his minions will use any excuse in the book. He's such a loser, and he knows his days are numbered. Get packin' Obeyme, your'e on your way out! Oh, and ima, I just gotta share this one, too good not to!

Cute :} Love it!

JonJon
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Well, you almost had me convinced that you and the Toasted make it a point to count ums and ahs, but shouldn't you have done that the first time you watched the debate? 

You lost me when you started with the lies and exaggerations and misrepresentations based on obvious bias.

Quoting SallyMJ:

My dear Jon-Jon,

Again, I LISTENED to the debate. No, it's not obsessive to count "uh's/um's" , when we do this every week at Toastmasters.  And, when someone does it as often as Pres. Obama during this last debate, it is very distracting and makes it hard to focus on his points. 

We've never given a sitting president a pass on debate speeches during any election cycle. Why would we do it now?  I think it is clear evidence of  insufficient debate prep. Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

I think it's very evident that Obama has not been focused on his job, but more on his campaign. He's found time in the last 5 weeks or so to do interviews with Letterman, the View, People magazine, DJ "Pimp with a Limp", Beyonce, Jay-Z, Nickelodeon, and the radio station that asked questions like "Which color do you like better, red or green?" - but not serious interviews with serious journalists.  And he was too busy with a fundraiser in Vegas to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. The Letterman show, where Obama said how busy he is with work, was taped prior to Sept. 11, when Obama was busy at campaign events.  

And Obama's administration was responsible for removing 34 security staff from Benghazi earlier this year, not posting Marines at any embassies or consulates in terrorist states in the Middle East, while providing a full contingent of Marines at the embassy in peaceful Sweden. And the administration denied multiple requests from Ambassador Stevens for additional security in Benghazi, even telling the Benghazi consulate to stop asking for more security, despite multiple attacks on the consulate this year -- while spending $100M on Chevy Volt cars for the Swedish embassy. Priorities. After the terrorist attack where 4 Americans were assassinated, the Obama administration did a cover-up, denying for a week that it was a terrorist attack, even though they knew right away that it was. And then, Obama decided to attend 100% of his Daily Security Briefings, up from his 40-something percent during all but 3-1/2 months of his term. 

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president. 

Quoting JonJon:

Um...weren't you one of those people calling ME obsessive?  I never would have bothered to watch the debate again just to count the ums and uhs. 

Uh...your points are interesting and what you said at the end is most true but ahhhh...I have another take on ums, uhs and ahs.

People who choose their words carefully and who are thinking before speaking make those sounds.  If you have what you want to say well-rehearsed and Romney has nothing but time to rehearse and lots of time to rest and sleep while the President has many, many demands on him on any given day.  Romney was refreshed and clear while the President is tired and works hard everyday for we ingrates therefore has not much time to commit everything he wanted to say to memory but basically said what he did based on knowledge of how things are.

And there's still hankygate!  Thanks for giving me a chance to say hankygate!  LOL!

I believe the President is going to perhaps cut into his "me" time  and time with the family to rehearse more and get more sleep so he'll be at optimum prime Tuesday.

Quoting SallyMJ:

OK, folks - new information (at least I haven't seen it):  Watched (listened, actually) to the debates again, this time counting the number of "uh's" and "um's" by each candidate: 

Pres. Obama: 318 (avg of 1 every 20 seconds)                                                                                       Romney: 48 (avg of 1 every 2 minutes)

So Obama did it 6.6 times as often as Romney. Of course they did not occur regularly, evenly spaced out. It tended to be in clusters, a little at the beginning of sentences, mostly in the middle, rarely at the end.  

Of course, this has nothing to do with a candidate's ideas or body language. In Toastmasters Clubs, as we are working on our public speaking skills, we make a conscious effort to limit our "filler words". Someone at the meeting counts them for everyone who speaks and then reports on them at the end of the meeting. We try to keep them in the single digits. If Obama and Romney had given the typical approx. 10 minute speech, Romney would have had 5 "uh/um's"; Obama, 35. Of course, there is far more pressure to speak in a 90 min. presidential debate in front of 70 million people, than a 10 min. speech in a TM meeting in front of 20 people.

Most people use filler words, like "uh" and "um", at times; the moderator did just about every time he spoke.  But the more you use them, it can make you look unsure of yourself, perhaps forgetful of your points, less prepared, less confident. It's not always a conscious action, and focusing on it during the debate would probably diminish a candidate's attention and planned responses to the points made by the other candidate. However, it's definitely something that can be worked on during debate prep. I'm pretty sure Obama - who did not do as much of this in 2008 - will likely improve in this area in the next two debates. 

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

My dear Jon-Jon,

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president. !

Well stated!     clapping

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN