Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: I Was "Just Too Polite" with Romney

Posted by   + Show Post

By Aaron Goldstein on 10.10.12 @ 5:02PM

President Obama just can't let that bad debate go.

During a radio interview this morning, Obama attributed his subpar performance to being "too polite" with Mitt Romney.

President Obama can be accused of being many things. Being too polite isn't one of them. If looking down at your shoes and appearing otherwise irritable is Obama's idea of being polite then I don't think he's going to help himself by being angry. While I suspect he won't adopt a southern accent, demagoguery does not become him whatever his dialect.

Clearly Obama just doesn't get it. He didn't lose the debate on account of being too polite. He lost because he had no energy, could not defend his record in office and, as I argued yesterday,just wasn't intelligent enough to be in the same room with Romney.

(The American Spectator)

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (91-94):
ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Jon-Jon,

How is it new to mention Obama's own quote from news stories around Monday of last week, that his debate prep was boring and he didn't want to do it? When I first heard the quote, I was surprised and thought it may have been overconfidence on his part. When Barbara Walters asked Obama in an interview one of his weaknesses, he said "laziness", which I took at the time as a throwaway line. My understanding of those two quotes changed after the debate, where many people were shocked at Obama's underwhelming performance. I used Obama's own words to evaluate him, and and would do the same about anyone.

You may think this is racism - but it's not.  It would be racist to hold people to different standards based on the color of their skin. Since I didn't do that - not racism.

Quoting JonJon:

Sally, I'm in a state of receptive overload right now.  I've taken on so many comers today you're all a blur but I do believe we had a few exchanges in the hankygate post and you're biased toward Romney, right?   Or biased against Obama; pick one.

The things you wrote, I've seen and argued against here and elsewhere on CM many times; let go grab the stuff and c&p:

"Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

I think it's very evident that Obama has not been focused on his job, but more on his campaign. He's found time in the last 5 weeks or so to do interviews with Letterman, the View, People magazine, DJ "Pimp with a Limp", Beyonce, Jay-Z, Nickelodeon, and the radio station that asked questions like "Which color do you like better, red or green?" - but not serious interviews with serious journalists.  And he was too busy with a fundraiser in Vegas to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. The Letterman show, where Obama said how busy he is with work, was taped prior to Sept. 11, when Obama was busy at campaign events.  

And Obama's administration was responsible for removing 34 security staff from Benghazi earlier this year, not posting Marines at any embassies or consulates in terrorist states in the Middle East, while providing a full contingent of Marines at the embassy in peaceful Sweden. And the administration denied multiple requests from Ambassador Stevens for additional security in Benghazi, even telling the Benghazi consulate to stop asking for more security, despite multiple attacks on the consulate this year -- while spending $100M on Chevy Volt cars for the Swedish embassy. Priorities. After the terrorist attack where 4 Americans were assassinated, the Obama administration did a cover-up, denying for a week that it was a terrorist attack, even though they knew right away that it was. And then, Obama decided to attend 100% of his Daily Security Briefings, up from his 40-something percent during all but 3-1/2 months of his term. 

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president."

All this here.  The only thing new is that the President said he didn't prep for the debate and that's proof to you he's lazy and arrogant.  Those two words, btw; are the goto words for every racial bigot and racist in America when describing black men.  Not saying you are one or both of those, just saying.  I keep trying to give people the "heads up" for their edification, they keep wanting to start chit about it and then ridicule me for my public service announcements.

Quoting JonJon:

Um...weren't you one of those people calling ME obsessive?  I never would have bothered to watch the debate again just to count the ums and uhs. 

Uh...your points are interesting and what you said at the end is most true but ahhhh...I have another take on ums, uhs and ahs.

People who choose their words carefully and who are thinking before speaking make those sounds.  If you have what you want to say well-rehearsed and Romney has nothing but time to rehearse and lots of time to rest and sleep while the President has many, many demands on him on any given day.  Romney was refreshed and clear while the President is tired and works hard everyday for we ingrates therefore has not much time to commit everything he wanted to say to memory but basically said what he did based on knowledge of how things are.

And there's still hankygate!  Thanks for giving me a chance to say hankygate!  LOL!

I believe the President is going to perhaps cut into his "me" time  and time with the family to rehearse more and get more sleep so he'll be at optimum prime Tuesday.

Quoting SallyMJ:

OK, folks - new information (at least I haven't seen it):  Watched (listened, actually) to the debates again, this time counting the number of "uh's" and "um's" by each candidate: 

Pres. Obama: 318 (avg of 1 every 20 seconds)                                                                                       Romney: 48 (avg of 1 every 2 minutes)

So Obama did it 6.6 times as often as Romney. Of course they did not occur regularly, evenly spaced out. It tended to be in clusters, a little at the beginning of sentences, mostly in the middle, rarely at the end.  

Of course, this has nothing to do with a candidate's ideas or body language. In Toastmasters Clubs, as we are working on our public speaking skills, we make a conscious effort to limit our "filler words". Someone at the meeting counts them for everyone who speaks and then reports on them at the end of the meeting. We try to keep them in the single digits. If Obama and Romney had given the typical approx. 10 minute speech, Romney would have had 5 "uh/um's"; Obama, 35. Of course, there is far more pressure to speak in a 90 min. presidential debate in front of 70 million people, than a 10 min. speech in a TM meeting in front of 20 people.

Most people use filler words, like "uh" and "um", at times; the moderator did just about every time he spoke.  But the more you use them, it can make you look unsure of yourself, perhaps forgetful of your points, less prepared, less confident. It's not always a conscious action, and focusing on it during the debate would probably diminish a candidate's attention and planned responses to the points made by the other candidate. However, it's definitely something that can be worked on during debate prep. I'm pretty sure Obama - who did not do as much of this in 2008 - will likely improve in this area in the next two debates.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Shame on you for messing with me!  :)

There is probably a difference among many people in regard to notetaking while listening. I find that taking notes heightens my attention and memory of what I've heard. I end up using three senses (sight, hearing, and touch). Writing is a kinesthetic activity, and for me, reinforces what I have heard or learned, and makes it a lot easier to remember. I would never have gotten anywhere in college or grad school without taking notes! But other people have a better memory than I do with just listening, and notewriting may decrease their retention instead of enhancing it. Sounds like you are one of these people.

Re: your comment about bias in my writing, are you referring to your and my posts here on this topic, or other ones? 

Quoting JonJon:

I know; I was messing with you.  I understood when you said you were just listening.  I can't listen and take notes which is why I decided I won't be joining the rest of you during the debate.  I took a couple listening classes a few decades ago; I was taught that one is not truly listening when one is taking notes.  One has to give the speaker one's undivided attention and it is truly a skill to do that.  Try to just listen to someone without doing anything else.  As a Toastmistress you probably already know that.  When I take notes, and then add directions to myself while taking notes, I find that I have missed things and have to try to figure out what was said so I can catch up.  I can take notes when I'm not expected to react or respond as one does when an instructor says, "take notes, this will be on the exam" or when I'm in a meeting and someone says, "take notes."  I've been the secretary of the executive committee of several groups and I know how to take notes but when I want to participate in discussion, I have to stop taking notes and either ask someone else to take notes or try to remember, as soon as I finish speaking, the gist of what was said. 

I'm going to watch the debate and pay close attention to words and body language.  Oh, I might have Word open and take a few notes.  I do know how to multi-task but I don't want to miss anything tonight.

I won't get into about what you wrote about the President.  I've commented on stuff like that so many times it's old.  You have a right to your beliefs.  Maybe you say it again in another post and I'll be up for the battle.  Right now, I need to start making preparations for the VP debate. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Uh...no. Don't be silly. Two very different things - impossible to do at the same time. You cannot focus on watching and listening to a debate or speech, and also physically count on a piece of paper "uh's/um's" at the same time. Especially when you are watching the debate and writing down points made by each candidate. One uses the part of your brain that does critical thinking; the other is simply listening only for the "uh's/um's".

Jon-Jon - I wouldn't ever think I could lose you! What are the "lies and exaggerations and misrepresentations based on obvious bias"?  I looked below, and I can't find any.

Quoting JonJon:

Well, you almost had me convinced that you and the Toasted make it a point to count ums and ahs, but shouldn't you have done that the first time you watched the debate? 

You lost me when you started with the lies and exaggerations and misrepresentations based on obvious bias.

Quoting SallyMJ:

My dear Jon-Jon,

Again, I LISTENED to the debate. No, it's not obsessive to count "uh's/um's" , when we do this every week at Toastmasters.  And, when someone does it as often as Pres. Obama during this last debate, it is very distracting and makes it hard to focus on his points. 

We've never given a sitting president a pass on debate speeches during any election cycle. Why would we do it now?  I think it is clear evidence of  insufficient debate prep. Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

I think it's very evident that Obama has not been focused on his job, but more on his campaign. He's found time in the last 5 weeks or so to do interviews with Letterman, the View, People magazine, DJ "Pimp with a Limp", Beyonce, Jay-Z, Nickelodeon, and the radio station that asked questions like "Which color do you like better, red or green?" - but not serious interviews with serious journalists.  And he was too busy with a fundraiser in Vegas to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu. The Letterman show, where Obama said how busy he is with work, was taped prior to Sept. 11, when Obama was busy at campaign events.  

And Obama's administration was responsible for removing 34 security staff from Benghazi earlier this year, not posting Marines at any embassies or consulates in terrorist states in the Middle East, while providing a full contingent of Marines at the embassy in peaceful Sweden. And the administration denied multiple requests from Ambassador Stevens for additional security in Benghazi, even telling the Benghazi consulate to stop asking for more security, despite multiple attacks on the consulate this year -- while spending $100M on Chevy Volt cars for the Swedish embassy. Priorities. After the terrorist attack where 4 Americans were assassinated, the Obama administration did a cover-up, denying for a week that it was a terrorist attack, even though they knew right away that it was. And then, Obama decided to attend 100% of his Daily Security Briefings, up from his 40-something percent during all but 3-1/2 months of his term. 

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president. 

Quoting JonJon:

Um...weren't you one of those people calling ME obsessive?  I never would have bothered to watch the debate again just to count the ums and uhs. 

Uh...your points are interesting and what you said at the end is most true but ahhhh...I have another take on ums, uhs and ahs.

People who choose their words carefully and who are thinking before speaking make those sounds.  If you have what you want to say well-rehearsed and Romney has nothing but time to rehearse and lots of time to rest and sleep while the President has many, many demands on him on any given day.  Romney was refreshed and clear while the President is tired and works hard everyday for we ingrates therefore has not much time to commit everything he wanted to say to memory but basically said what he did based on knowledge of how things are.

And there's still hankygate!  Thanks for giving me a chance to say hankygate!  LOL!

I believe the President is going to perhaps cut into his "me" time  and time with the family to rehearse more and get more sleep so he'll be at optimum prime Tuesday.

Quoting SallyMJ:

OK, folks - new information (at least I haven't seen it):  Watched (listened, actually) to the debates again, this time counting the number of "uh's" and "um's" by each candidate: 

Pres. Obama: 318 (avg of 1 every 20 seconds)                                                                                       Romney: 48 (avg of 1 every 2 minutes)

So Obama did it 6.6 times as often as Romney. Of course they did not occur regularly, evenly spaced out. It tended to be in clusters, a little at the beginning of sentences, mostly in the middle, rarely at the end.  

Of course, this has nothing to do with a candidate's ideas or body language. In Toastmasters Clubs, as we are working on our public speaking skills, we make a conscious effort to limit our "filler words". Someone at the meeting counts them for everyone who speaks and then reports on them at the end of the meeting. We try to keep them in the single digits. If Obama and Romney had given the typical approx. 10 minute speech, Romney would have had 5 "uh/um's"; Obama, 35. Of course, there is far more pressure to speak in a 90 min. presidential debate in front of 70 million people, than a 10 min. speech in a TM meeting in front of 20 people.

Most people use filler words, like "uh" and "um", at times; the moderator did just about every time he spoke.  But the more you use them, it can make you look unsure of yourself, perhaps forgetful of your points, less prepared, less confident. It's not always a conscious action, and focusing on it during the debate would probably diminish a candidate's attention and planned responses to the points made by the other candidate. However, it's definitely something that can be worked on during debate prep. I'm pretty sure Obama - who did not do as much of this in 2008 - will likely improve in this area in the next two debates. 

JonJon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I never saw those stories.

If the President said he's lazy, I'm sure he laughed at making a self-deprecating joke.  That you chose to take it as a serious self-assessment indicates how you think.

I said people who are racist and bigoted use the words lazy and arrogant of black men.  If you want to pretend I said you're racist, that's just more indicationof how you prefer to think.

I'm not interested in further debate/discussion with you if you want to be deceptive and mendacious and contentious for the sake of being contentious.  You aren't going to change how you are, I'm not going to change how I am and frankly, I'm very tired and very hungry.  I never did get a chance to eat before the debate.

I may want to rehash this hash with you tomorrow or the day after or never.

good night

Quoting SallyMJ:

Jon-Jon,

How is it new to mention Obama's own quote from news stories around Monday of last week, that his debate prep was boring and he didn't want to do it? When I first heard the quote, I was surprised and thought it may have been overconfidence on his part. When Barbara Walters asked Obama in an interview one of his weaknesses, he said "laziness", which I took at the time as a throwaway line. My understanding of those two quotes changed after the debate, where many people were shocked at Obama's underwhelming performance. I used Obama's own words to evaluate him, and and would do the same about anyone.

You may think this is racism - but it's not.  It would be racist to hold people to different standards based on the color of their skin. Since I didn't do that - not racism.

Quoting JonJon:

Sally, I'm in a state of receptive overload right now.  I've taken on so many comers today you're all a blur but I do believe we had a few exchanges in the hankygate post and you're biased toward Romney, right?   Or biased against Obama; pick one.

The things you wrote, I've seen and argued against here and elsewhere on CM many times; let go grab the stuff and c&p:

"Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president."

All this here.  The only thing new is that the President said he didn't prep for the debate and that's proof to you he's lazy and arrogant.  Those two words, btw; are the goto words for every racial bigot and racist in America when describing black men.  Not saying you are one or both of those, just saying.  I keep trying to give people the "heads up" for their edification, they keep wanting to start chit about it and then ridicule me for my public service announcements.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Shame on you for messing with me!  :)

There is probably a difference among many people in regard to notetaking while listening. I find that taking notes heightens my attention and memory of what I've heard. I end up using three senses (sight, hearing, and touch). Writing is a kinesthetic activity, and for me, reinforces what I have heard or learned, and makes it a lot easier to remember. I would never have gotten anywhere in college or grad school without taking notes! But other people have a better memory than I do with just listening, and notewriting may decrease their retention instead of enhancing it. Sounds like you are one of these people.

Re: your comment about bias in my writing, are you referring to your and my posts here on this topic, or other ones? 

Quoting JonJon:

I know; I was messing with you.  I understood when you said you were just listening.  I can't listen and take notes which is why I decided I won't be joining the rest of you during the debate.  I took a couple listening classes a few decades ago; I was taught that one is not truly listening when one is taking notes.  One has to give the speaker one's undivided attention and it is truly a skill to do that.  Try to just listen to someone without doing anything else.  As a Toastmistress you probably already know that.  When I take notes, and then add directions to myself while taking notes, I find that I have missed things and have to try to figure out what was said so I can catch up.  I can take notes when I'm not expected to react or respond as one does when an instructor says, "take notes, this will be on the exam" or when I'm in a meeting and someone says, "take notes."  I've been the secretary of the executive committee of several groups and I know how to take notes but when I want to participate in discussion, I have to stop taking notes and either ask someone else to take notes or try to remember, as soon as I finish speaking, the gist of what was said. 

I'm going to watch the debate and pay close attention to words and body language.  Oh, I might have Word open and take a few notes.  I do know how to multi-task but I don't want to miss anything tonight.

I won't get into about what you wrote about the President.  I've commented on stuff like that so many times it's old.  You have a right to your beliefs.  Maybe you say it again in another post and I'll be up for the battle.  Right now, I need to start making preparations for the VP debate. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Uh...no. Don't be silly. Two very different things - impossible to do at the same time. You cannot focus on watching and listening to a debate or speech, and also physically count on a piece of paper "uh's/um's" at the same time. Especially when you are watching the debate and writing down points made by each candidate. One uses the part of your brain that does critical thinking; the other is simply listening only for the "uh's/um's".

Jon-Jon - I wouldn't ever think I could lose you! What are the "lies and exaggerations and misrepresentations based on obvious bias"?  I looked below, and I can't find any.

Quoting JonJon:

Well, you almost had me convinced that you and the Toasted make it a point to count ums and ahs, but shouldn't you have done that the first time you watched the debate? 

You lost me when you started with the lies and exaggerations and misrepresentations based on obvious bias.

Quoting SallyMJ:

My dear Jon-Jon,

Again, I LISTENED to the debate. No, it's not obsessive to count "uh's/um's" , when we do this every week at Toastmasters.  And, when someone does it as often as Pres. Obama during this last debate, it is very distracting and makes it hard to focus on his points. 

We've never given a sitting president a pass on debate speeches during any election cycle. Why would we do it now?  I think it is clear evidence of  insufficient debate prep. Remember, it was reported just a few days before the debate, Obama was quoted as saying about his debate prep something like: "This is really boring. They've got me inside all day, and they're forcing me to do my homework." I take that as laziness and arrogance, with Obama thinking he already had it in the can.

Clearly, Obama enjoys campaigning much more than governing - he'd rather give speeches than do the work of the office of the president. 

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Hi,

As a democrat I definitely was not happy with Obamas performance at the debate.I did expect Obama to not attack Romney but I didnt expect him to get steam rolled.

When I listened to Romney on stage I was in shock.He was not the same person character wise or with the political views he expressed on the campaign trail.

I would imagine it can be very difficult to debate a person who appeared far right in views with starkly different values and policies on almost everything.Yet on stage I saw a charasmatic,caring,democrat??

Obama was most likely stunned too....great strategy by Romney.

Before I saw a very cold Romney.A man with no caring for moms with disabled kids,nor elderly healthcare benefits,stating that %47 people are PA moochers.Seeming to only want to high tax the middle tax,cut help for the poor,backward views on womens rights to birth control(Roe-vs-wade) and make sure that the rich got theirs.

You are right Romney may have won the battle(debate)....but he has not won the war(election).We have 2 more debates and the people have the final say.

~Tia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)