Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Liberal Logic: Voter Fraud is Okay, But NOT Voting Soldiers!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM
  • 10 Replies

Of all the absolutely shameless, crappy and downright evil affronts to democracy perpetrated by Obama/Holder & Co. covered at SaveJersey. com over the last four years, I think this latest atrocity truly takes the partisan cake.

I’m pissed, Save Jerseyans. It is obvious? I really hope so.

And over what, you ask? A lawsuit filed by the Obama campaign, the Democratic National Committee and the Ohio Democratic Party back in July that seeks to overturn Ohio’s election law restricting “early” in-person voting during the three day run-up to Election Day.

Why? Get ready for this one: Democrats argue that this particular law is unconstitutional because overseas military voters get extra time!

Coincidentally (ha-ha!), John McCain won 54% of the military vote in 2008. A May 2012 Gallup poll showed Mitt Romney pulling 58% to President Obama’s paltry 34%…

15 individual military groups are up in arms and they have every right to be. Could it be any more obvious what’s going on here???

The historic 2012 presidential election is likely to be decided by the electorally competitive Buckeye state just like it was back in 2004 (when, as an aside, your college-aged Blogger-in-Chief was proudly on the ground in Cuyahoga County fighting like hell for President Bush). We’re used to Democrat playing fast and loose with rules to get their way. I saw it first hand as union members tried to intimidate Bush vols at polling stations!

This time around, however, President Obama and his minions are taking it a step further by deliberately trying to disenfranchise thousands of Ohioans who are fighting overseas to defend our right to select our own leaders.

It’s sad, ironic, and nothing less than outrageous. And he wants us to believe this lawsuit isn’t politically motivated? Give me a break, Barack! Our country may be a too trusting/forgiving when it comes to politicians who used to fraternize with domestic terrorists, but we’re certainly NOT stupid.

But what makes this attack on our troops EVEN WORSE is the fact that Democrats are simultaneously trying to strike down completely-constitutional voter ID laws across the country. You’ve undoubtedly heard about Attorney General Eric “Contempt” Holder’s baseless lawsuit against Texas and his equally asinine “poll tax” analogy. Our neighbor Pennsylvania is also fighting to defend its own voter ID law. And have you heard about the alleged Obama Administration interference in Black Panther voter intimidation prosecutions? It’s another naked outrage and, yet again, one that is transparently political given the availability of ample empirical proof that such laws do not adversely affect minority turnout in any way, shape or fashion. Period, end of sentence.

Disenfranchising men and women in uniform while making voter fraud as easy as pie. How do YOU feel about military votes being scrapped altogether or, alternatively, being cancelled out by fraudulent ones… all thanks to a big money legal campaign conducted by Obama surrogates?

If you can’t bring yourselves to vote Republican in 2012 for any other reason, Save Jerseyans, this particular sad pass is a damn good reason to reject the Party of Obama this November. It’s no longer just a matter of ideological or policy differences. The integrity of our democratic institutions are under direct assault. Our soldiers fight, suffer, sacrifice and die every single day for us. It’s about time that we take a stand at the ballot box for them!

(Red State)

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't this a rehash of a thread that addressed this earlier? What was brougth out in that thread is that this is basically a lie. The govt simply is seeking to allow extended voting to ALL persons in Ohio. What has been happening in Ohio is that the Republican led state govt has been seeking to restrict extended voting in counties that are heavily Democratic. It is not an attack against the voting rights of military. Since last I heard a judge has blocked this, everyone now, including the military, are still allowed extended voting in Ohio.

On a personal note, as a vet living in Ohio in 2004, I was cheated out of my Presidential vote. I don't trust Ohio at all, and know they try to manipulate the vote.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

lie lie lie

dilateyourmind
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Quoting rccmom:

Isn't this a rehash of a thread that addressed this earlier? What was brougth out in that thread is that this is basically a lie. The govt simply is seeking to allow extended voting to ALL persons in Ohio. What has been happening in Ohio is that the Republican led state govt has been seeking to restrict extended voting in counties that are heavily Democratic. It is not an attack against the voting rights of military. Since last I heard a judge has blocked this, everyone now, including the military, are still allowed extended voting in Ohio.

On a personal note, as a vet living in Ohio in 2004, I was cheated out of my Presidential vote. I don't trust Ohio at all, and know they try to manipulate the vote.

BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THE BRAIN POWER TO DEDUCE THE LIES, DESPITE FACTS BEING IN THEIR FACE. ( nOT INFERRING oBAMA HASN'T LIED )

rccmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Quoting dilateyourmind:

Quoting rccmom:

BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THE BRAIN POWER TO DEDUCE THE LIES, DESPITE FACTS BEING IN THEIR FACE. ( nOT INFERRING oBAMA HASN'T LIED )

People on both sides of the political spectrum seem too quick to believe anything about the other side as long as it is vile. My view is if it sounds like it is a really stupid stance, such as restricting military voting, look into it deeper, because something else is probably going on.

7SportsMom7
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I would imagine the overseas Democratic military persons would be just as angered by this as Republicans ... or at least they should be, in my opinion.  

Anyone on CM have personal experience with a military person unable to get their vote in because of this?

shimamab
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Obama Not Trying to Curb Military Early Voting

Bookmark and Share

Mitt Romney wrongly suggests the Obama campaign is trying to “undermine” the voting rights of military members through a lawsuit filed in Ohio. The suit seeks to block state legislation that limited early voting times for nonmilitary members; it doesn’t seek to impose restrictions on service members.

In an Aug. 4 Facebook posting, Romney called the lawsuit an “outrage,” and said that “if I’m entrusted to be the commander-in-chief, I’ll work to protect the voting rights of our military, not undermine them.” He painted the court filing as an attack on the ability of service men and women to vote: “The brave men and women of our military make tremendous sacrifices to protect and defend our freedoms, and we should do everything we can to protect their fundamental right to vote.”

Conservative blogs and opinion pieces have also misrepresented the case, claiming in headlines that President Obama was suing to “restrict military voting.” A fundraising email appeal from a group called Special Operations Speaks — which wants to “remove Barack Obama from the White House” — wrongly says that Obama “deploys army of lawyers to suppress military’s voting rights,” claiming that “Obama needs the American military to not vote, so he has set out to make it as difficult as possible for them to do so.” But that’s not what the Obama lawsuit aims to do at all.

The lawsuit, filed by the Obama campaign, Democratic National Committee and Ohio Democratic Party in July against Ohio’s secretary of state and attorney general, asks for an injunction to block implementation of state laws that modified in-person early voting regulations. In the last presidential election, all Ohio residents — military and otherwise — could cast their votes in-person early up through the Monday before Election Day. But contentious legislation passed by Ohio’s GOP-controlled Legislature in 2011 limited early voting for nonmilitary residents, giving them a deadline of 6 p.m. Friday before the election. Military members and overseas civilians could still vote through Monday. Both parties have squabbled, with Democrats saying the law is a suppression of nonmilitary votes and Republicans arguing that they are just easing a burden on polling places and guarding against fraud. (Mail-in absentee ballots are not affected; the new regulations affect in-person early voting.)

Contrary to conservative claims, the Democratic lawsuit seeks to restore early voting “for all Ohio voters.”

Obama for America v. Husted: … Plaintiffs seek a declaratory judgment, preliminary injunction, and permanent injunction prohibiting Defendants from implementing or enforcing the HB 224 and SB 295 changes to Ohio Rev. Code § 3509.03, thereby restoring in-person absentee voting on the three days immediately preceding Election Day for all Ohio voters.

David Axelrod, a senior adviser to the Obama campaign, also argued with Fox News host Chris Wallaceover the lawsuit on Aug. 5:

Wallace: Your campaign is suing the state of Ohio for giving members of the military extra time to vote early, to the Monday before the election while other voters are going to have only until Friday. You don’t think that members of the military who are serving this country deserve special consideration to vote?

Axelrod: I absolutely do, and the way you stated and the way frankly Governor Romney has stated it is completely false and misleading. What that lawsuit calls for is not to deprive the military of the right to vote on the final weekend on the campaign. Of course, they should have that right. What that suit is about whether the rest of Ohio should have the same right.

Axelrod’s characterization is right.

More Voting, Not Less

The lawsuit challenges last year’s legislation in Ohio on the grounds that the unequal treatment of different citizens violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. Fifteen groups representing members of the military — including the National Guard Association, Marine Corps League and the Military Officers Association of America — filed a motion to dismiss and a motion to participate in the case on the side of the state of Ohio.

Their beef isn’t with the Obama camp’s intent, however, but with the equal protection argument and how a judge may react to it. The motion to intervene acknowledges that “the relief Plaintiffs seek is an overall extension of Ohio’s early voting period,” but objects to “the means through which Plaintiffs are attempting to attain it — a ruling that it is arbitrary and unconstitutional to grant extra time for early voting solely to military voters and overseas citizens.” The motion calls the equal protection argument “not only offensive, but flatly wrong as a matter of law.”

The motion to intervene, quoting court cases, says a court could decide to pull back the early voting deadline for military members, rather than extend it for nonmilitary residents, in order to establish equal treatment.

Motion to Intervene, filed Aug. 1: A court facing an Equal Protection claim has “‘two remedial alternatives: [it] may either declare [the statute] a nullity and order that its benefits not extend to the class that the legislature intended to benefit, or it may extend the coverage of the statute to include those who are aggrieved by the exclusion.” … Thus, a plaintiff’s success in an Equal Protection case reasonably may lead to “withdrawing the statute’s benefits from both the favored and the excluded class.”

The Obama camp, DNC and Ohio Democratic Party filed a memo supporting the military groups’ motion to participate in the case. That memo reiterated that the Democratic groups didn’t want to change the way military members could vote.

Plaintiffs’ memorandum in support of motion to intervene, Aug. 3: Plaintiffs seek to restore for all voters access to early voting through the Monday before Election Day. Neither the substance of its Equal Protection claim, nor the relief requested, challenges the legislature’s authority to make appropriate accommodation, including early voting during the period in question, for military voters, their spouse or dependents. The question before the Court is whether, in the circumstances of this case, the State of Ohio may arbitrarily and without justification withdraw from all other Ohio eligible voters the same right they previously had to vote the weekend and Monday before Election Day.

But Romney blatantly misrepresents the lawsuit’s clearly stated goal to restore early voting for “all” voters. On Aug. 5, the Romney campaign’s legal counsel, Katie Biber, issued a statement that continued to wrongly cast the lawsuit as an attempt to curb military voting rights. She wrote that “the Obama campaign and the DNC argue it is ‘arbitrary’ and unconstitutional to provide three extra days of early, in-person voting to military voters and their families.” The lawsuit, however, argues for restoring the rights of nonmilitary residents, saying the state election law “arbitrarily eliminates early voting during the three days prior to Election Day for most Ohio voters, a right previously available to all Ohio voters.”

Biber goes on to say it is “commendable that the Ohio legislature granted military voters and their families this accommodation.” But that distorts the facts. Military voters and their families previously had this accommodation. What the legislature did last year was restrict early voting for civilian residents.

We received an equally misleading interpretation of the lawsuit from the attorney who filed the motion on behalf of the military groups. Kevin T. Shook of Frost Brown Todd LLC told us in an email: “We are unaware of any other case in which a political candidate, much less the Commander-in-Chief, has sued a state for trying to make it easier for members of the military to vote.” But the suit isn’t about making it easier for military voters, it’s about making it harder for others.

What Shook argues in the motion is that the suit “reasonably may lead” a judge to make it harder for the military — something the lawyers on Obama’s side haven’t asked for, and have told the judge they don’t want to happen. When we followed up with Shook about that, he said he was still concerned about a ruling that could set “a dangerous precedent that could jeopardize other laws making it easier for a military voter to vote.” But that’s no excuse for misrepresenting what the other side has said.

Some voters may well appreciate a discussion of the merits and ramifications of an equal protection legal argument. But what they got from the Romney campaign is a falsehood.

– Lori Robertson

PamR
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Dems are looking the other way on voter fraud?  Since we can add up the incidents of voter fraud on one hand, is this really an issue?  The Republicans are attempting to make it impossible for some people TO vote by instituting these pointless voter ID laws.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I have posted more stories about repub voter fraud then dem voter fraud.These voter ID laws are just a way to scare people from voting.Fear is the rights way to the Presidency.

Quoting PamR:

Dems are looking the other way on voter fraud?  Since we can add up the incidents of voter fraud on one hand, is this really an issue?  The Republicans are attempting to make it impossible for some people TO vote by instituting these pointless voter ID laws.

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You might want to re-dilate your mind . LOL

Now, Military Votes May Not Count in Illinois?

This is one of the most outrageous developments of the past 6 months, in my opinion. You might want to wrap your head with duct tape before reading this article, because your head might explode and soil your screen.

“Cris Cray, Director of Legislation at the Illinois State Board of Elections, says not all of Illinois’ 110 jurisdictions were compliant with the 2009 Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act (MOVE).

“The law requires every state to mail their absentee ballots 45 days prior to Election Day to overseas troops, government employees and other Americans who want to vote from abroad.

“Cray says she is currently compiling data from each of Illinois’ jurisdictions to determine which were compliant and which were delinquent. Cray said it’s possible the ballots may not be counted because the state was tardy in sending them out.

“Illinois was required to have all of its absentee ballots mailed by Sept. 18, the national deadline. Election officials have until Nov. 15 to count the absentee ballots, which must be postmarked by midnight Nov. 1 to be eligible.”

How can there be any legitimate excuse for excluding our military and foreign stationed citizens from exercising their right to vote, and having their votes count? I think these geniuses are flaunting MOVE, and their underlying motivation is that the majority of military people are reliably conservative voters, so any means for keeping them from voting is on the table. Is it mere coincidence that NM, NY and IL, the states that can’t seem to get this military absentee voting thing right, are also all governed by wacko, military loathing liberals?

The article continues: “The Justice Department settled a case with New Mexico Tuesday where six counties failed to mail ballots by the deadline.”

“Settled”? Just what the heck does “settled” mean? Does it mean that NM agreed to pay a fine but the military voter exclusion was allowed to stand? Has anything been done to assure that their voting rights are preserved, and that their votes will count? Do we trust the Obama/Holder Justice Department to do the right thing in any area? The same Justice Department that dismissed charges of voter intimidation against the New Black Panther Party? The same Justice department that wants to try Islamic fundamentalists, that have attacked and murdered our innocent citizens, in civilian courts?

The debacles in NY, NM and now IL are just more in a string of recent examples of why regular people, whether conservative or moderate, are fed up with bureaucratic incompetence, stupidity and prejudice. If these miscarriages of justice, whether accidental or deliberate, are allowed to stand, our country might as well be declared dead now. Let’s hope these travesties are righted quickly so our heros can vote and their votes will count. Otherwise, tyranny waxes victorious.

(beforeitsnews)

Quoting dilateyourmind:

Quoting rccmom:

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". ~Ronald Reagan

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

military personnel are allowed to vote in the state that is represented as their home of record in their paperwork.  They are allowed to request, receive and turn in their voter registration at anytime without anyone or anything holding them back or preventing them from doing so.  IF a state did not send out absentee ballots on time, that does not mean that just military or hell even military are being discouraged or prevented from voting, that is a lie flat out.  My husband requested his voter registration when overseas from VA. becausethat is where his drivers license was valid, or he could have voted in the state of NV. which is his home of record.  As with anyone else, military personnel, must give themselves ample time to request anything from the states, most everyone I know that has been or is stationed overseas has done everything they can to vote, that includes getting their paperwork fixed and prepared to vote.  IF some one has not gotten it by now or within the next few weeks then it is because they did not want to not because someone prevented them from doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)