Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biden blames intelligence community for changing story about Libya attack

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this
Vice President Biden blamed intelligence officials for the administration's changing account of the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, during Thursday night's debate with Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

The Obama administration has been under fire for initially linking the attack on the U.S. Consulate to an anti-Islam video made in the U.S. before later acknowledging that that the attack was an act of terrorism, not a protest that turned violent.

Biden said the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, was repeating what intelligence sources had told her when she blamed the video as a “proximate cause” of the violence in an interview five days after the attack.

“The intelligence community told us that,” Biden said. “As they learned more facts about exactly what happened, they changed their assessment.”

The vice president attacked Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for weighing in on the violence in Libya before it was known that Ambassador Christopher Stevens was among four Americans that had been killed.

“That's not presidential leadership,” Biden said.

Ryan said it was clear from the start that it was an act of terrorism and ripped the administration for focusing on the YouTube video in the days after the assault.

“It took the president two weeks to acknowledge this was a terrorist attack,” Ryan said. “He went to the U.N. and in his speech at the U.N. [on Sept. 25] six times talked about the You Tube video.

“Look, if we are hit by terrorists, we are going to call it for what it is: a terrorist attack.”

Biden was also questioned about statements from officials stationed in Libya who said they had repeatedly asked the administration for more security at the consulate.

"Well, we weren’t told they wanted more security there," Biden said. "We did not know they wanted more security."

Biden's statement directly contradicts the testimony of two security officers who were based in Libya earlier this year. Lt. Col. Andy Wood, the head of a 16-person Special Forces team that left in August, and State Department regional security officer Eric Nordstorm said Wednesday that they repeatedly asked for beefed up security but were turned down.

http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/terrorism/261607-biden-blames-intelligence-community-for-changing-libya-story

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM
7 moms liked this

This will come back to bite him. I am listening now to several reports on tv about this topic. My husband & I have been discussing this issue since the debate ended. Biden's incompetency & deception is apparent! He lied about no requests for security from the embassy in Benghazi, Libya~

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM
6 moms liked this

"Well, we weren’t told they wanted more security there," Biden said. "We did not know they wanted more security."

I guess he wasn't in the loop. 

29again
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting DSamuels:

Well, you know, he did hide himself away for 6 days to prepare for this debate.  Maybe he really didn't know.....

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM
2 moms liked this

This will come back to bite Biden also....

Biden Insinuates He Didn't Vote for Afghanistan, Iraq Wars

In the Thursday night vice presidential debate, Vice President Joe Biden criticized Congressman Paul Ryan for voting to "put two wars"--those in Afghanistan and Iraq--"on a credit card." But as the Washington Free Beacon points out, Biden's suggestion that he didn't vote for those wars is simply false:

"By the way, they talk about this great recession like it fell out of the sky-like, ‘Oh my goodness, where did it come from?'" Biden said. "It came from this man voting to put two wars on a credit card, at the same time, put a prescription drug plan on the credit card, a trillion dollar tax cut for the very wealthy."

"I was there, I voted against them," Biden continued. "I said, no, we can't afford that."

Then Sen. Biden voted for the Afghanistan resolution on Sept. 14, 2001 which authorized "the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States."

And on Oct. 11, 2002, Biden voted for a resolution authorizing unilateral military action in Iraq, according to the Washington Post.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-insinuates-he-didnt-vote-afghanistan-iraq-wars_654253.html

Friday, October 11, 2002

Following is an alphabetical listing by state of how each senator voted on President Bush's Iraq resolution. A "yes" vote was a vote to grant President Bush the power to attack Iraq unilaterally. A "no" vote was a vote to defeat the measure. Voting "yes" were 29 Democrats and 48 Republicans. Voting "no" were 1 Republican, 21 Democrats, and 1 Independent.

Delaware Joseph Biden (D): Yes
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

And he doesn't even check the news. Not the first time ol' Joe's been out of touch.

Quoting DSamuels:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Quoting DSamuels:

I honestly think that's why Obama picked him as a running mate.

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

BUMP!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Realistically, though, I think there is something troubling going on in the intelligence community.  Look at how wrong they were about WMDs in Iraq.  Now, we can't seem to get a straight answer about Benghazi.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Guess that's easier than taking responisilbity.  The Obama slogan should just be "its not my fault!!"

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Quoting DSamuels:

He was locked away for debate prep.  He couldn't handle new info on a short notice.  Did you know the DNC created an exact replica of the debate forum so he could get familiar with the exact setting?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)