Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have info on these issues?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 92 Replies

If in anyone is willing to take the time to help me out. I am finding the presidential elections very confusing. One says one thing and the other says something different. I have looked at their websites, but hardly any facts are given. I need some help with facts.

1. China. Obama says the Republicans and Romney support tax cuts for companies that send business overseas and that he supports tax cuts for businesses who will bring their jobs back here
Romney says he wants to bring business back to the US as well.
Are they both on the same page? Does one have a history of supporting outsourcing and one have a history of trying to get jobs back? These things are hard to find when you don't have the best research skills.

2. Energy. Romney's plan is to use more of America's natural resources and in doing this he will create more jobs here and cut spending by getting oil from overseas. This sounds great, but how will this impact our environment? I like the idea of solar and wind and things like that, I do worry about what drilling and all of that will do to the environment. What are your thoughts on this?

3. Taxes. I am not a numbers person. I don't understand tax plans, all I can go on is what they say and they are both promising a tax plan that will help the middle class.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting EmilyJ0610:

If in anyone is willing to take the time to help me out. I am finding the presidential elections very confusing. One says one thing and the other says something different. I have looked at their websites, but hardly any facts are given. I need some help with facts.

1. China. Obama says the Republicans and Romney support tax cuts for companies that send business overseas and that he supports tax cuts for businesses who will bring their jobs back here
Are they both on the same page? Does one have a history of supporting outsourcing and one have a history of trying to get jobs back? These things are hard to find when you don't have the best research skills.  Romney's stance is if business are overwhelmed with taxes they have no money for jobs and ultimately some will close because their taxes become too much.Romney wants to cut that from the current 35% to 25%. Romney as a businessman I believe did take advantage of outsourcing..it was the democrats that signed NAFTA that started the job outsourcing mess. Romney wants to hold China accountable for their acts, and wants to stop borrowing money from them hand over fist which is what Obama has been doing for 4 years. If China called next week and said "pay up America" we'd all be learning Mandarin. Go to Romney's website it explains in English, not legalese what his plans are.

2. Energy. Romney's plan is to use more of America's natural resources and in doing this he will create more jobs here and cut spending by getting oil from overseas. This sounds great, but how will this impact our environment? I like the idea of solar and wind and things like that, I do worry about what drilling and all of that will do to the environment. What are your thoughts on this? Unfortunately companies are already engaging in "fracking" the splitting of shale for natural gas. Which is SUPER cheap and there's an abundance of under North America. Obama also said "NO" to the Keystone expansion. He's closed driling rigs and after the oil spill in the Gulf did nothing to ensure it's clean up. People from that area can probably tell you more about the "blue flu" than I can. Obama also gave a $90bill tax break to Solyndra, a solar power company. That went belly up after Obama gifted them $90bill in tax breaks...enough to cover oil for 50 years. He's also given tax breaks to oil companies and the price of gas has practically doubled during Obama's term. I also worry about the environment, we do only have 1 Earth..and I'd like to leave a (realtively) clean Earth to my kids, grandkids and great-gandkids..but with all the unrest in the Middle East, we really need to be self reliant with regard to our energy. The cost of electricy has also risen during Obama's reign.

3. Taxes. I am not a numbers person. I don't understand tax plans, all I can go on is what they say and they are both promising a tax plan that will help the middle class. Businesses are being taxed at a 35% rate, the highest in the world..Obama wants to raise that to almost 40%..among other taxes as well that affect businesses. Romney's stance is that if businesses are so heavily taxed they won't have money to hire new employees and some may be forced to close which would increase unemployment. Romney touts his plan as a "fairer, flatter tax system". Steve Forbes said this many years ago and got shellacked by the press. Forbes position was that if everyone paid the same tax rate, for the sake of easy math (cuz' mine isn't so good) say 10%. So those that eared $40K would pay $4000 and those that earned $40mill would pay $40K, there'd be no need for deductions, no problems with loopholes and the IRS as a dept would be significantly reduced. Romney said at last week's debate, that he's promoting a principal, and wants to work with democrats and republicans to figure out the path to get to the principal. Romney wants to come together with both sides to find solutions that make both sides content, and reach the end result. He said "it doesn't have to be my way..but OUR way". He did this in MASS when he was govenor, met with both sides every week to discuss the issues of MASS and how they could best solve them.

I suggest you go to Romney's website and read his plans.

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM
4 moms liked this

You will probably get conflicting answers on this site. What I do know about outsourcing is that Obama and the democrats have tried to pass bills that would stop tax breaks for companies who outsource, and give tax breaks to companies who create jobs in America.  Both bills were blocked by the republicans.

Romney is pushing for the pipeline and more drilling in Alaska.  Environmentalist hate both of these ideas, and neither idea will help gas prices, nor does it tell private companies that they have to keep the oil in America, most likely that oil will be exported out of our country for profit.  The jobs it will create is small compared to the impact it would have on the environment.  Green jobs were created under Obama, and investing more wind and solar would also create jobs.  We are falling behind most of the countries in this department, and we should be concentrating on keeping up with the rest of the world.  I believe e are one of the only major country that half the pople thins global arming is a hoax

Obama wants to end the Bush tax cuts for anyone making over 250,000, and extend them or everyone else.  Obama has already given 98% of Americans a tax break with payroll taxes, and he has given 18 tax breaks to small business's.  Obama and he democrats think trickle down economics is a failed policy and they want to end it. They Want the wealthy to go back to the tax policies under Clinton where we created 26 million jobs. Bush cut taxes at the top and had slow job creation.  Romney wants to cut taxes even further then the Bush tax cuts, he claims hat it won't add to the deficit, because he is going to cut loop holes, his tax plan costs 480 trillion dollars and gives the wealthy huge tax breaks.  He claims he will close loop holes and deductions for the wealthy to offset this 20% break, but experts claim there isn't enough deductions to take away to make it work. If it isn't going to add o the deficit, he would also have to cut deductions that middle class take advantage of.  Bottom line is Obama thinks the economy should grow from the middle out, and Romney believes give tax breaks to the top and it will trickle down to the rest of us.

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Obama also gave a $90bill tax break to Solyndra, a solar power company. That went belly up after Obama gifted them $90bill in tax breaks...enough to cover oil for 50 years. He's also given tax breaks to oil companies and the price of gas has practically doubled during Obama's term. I also worry about the environment, we do only have 1 Earth..and I'd like to leave a (realtively) clean Earth to my kids, grandkids and great-gandkids..but with all the unrest in the Middle East, we really need to be self reliant with regard to our energy. The cost of electricy has also risen during Obama's re

That is completely false. He didn't give a 90billion dollar tax break to one company.  He spent 90 billion dollars toward green energy in his stimulus package.  Only 21 billion dollars of that went to actual companies, and out of those companies, less then 5 percent failed,which Solyndra was one of them, and when they gave the stimulus they accounted for some failing.  The rest of that 90 billion went to retrofitting peoples houses, high speed rail and other projects that are considered green. Also he has given tax breaks to oil companies, because the republicans position is to keep those subsidies, and Obama's position is to end them,republicans block him from doing that.

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Businesses are being taxed at a 35% rate, the highest in the world..Obama wants to raise that to almost 40%..among other taxes as well that affect businesses. Romney's stance is that if businesses are so heavily taxed they won't have money to hire new employees and some may be forced to close which would increase unemployment. Romney touts his plan as a "fairer, flatter tax system". Steve Forbes said this many years ago and got shellacked by the press. Forbes position was that if everyone paid the same tax rate, for the sake of easy math (cuz' mine isn't so good) say 10%. So those that eared $40K would pay $4000 and those that earned $40mill would pay

Actually Obama also wants to lower the corporate rate also, he wants to raise the rate for individuals who make over 250,000.  Small businesses sometimes file as individuals and would be affected by this, but only 3% of small business profit over 250,000 so 97% of small business wouldn't be affected.  A flat tax will never happen is a horrible idea and is actually a regressive tax that punishes the poor, while rich people save billions of dollars, the tax rate would have to be very large to bring enough revenue, and that would cripple the middle class and poor.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting EmilyJ0610:

Are they both on the same page? Does one have a history of supporting outsourcing and one have a history of trying to get jobs back? These things are hard to find when you don't have the best research skills.  Romney's stance is if business are overwhelmed with taxes they have no money for jobs and ultimately some will close because their taxes become too much.Romney wants to cut that from the current 35% to 25%. Romney as a businessman I believe did take advantage of outsourcing..it was the democrats that signed NAFTA that started the job outsourcing mess. Romney wants to hold China accountable for their acts, and wants to stop borrowing money from them hand over fist which is what Obama has been doing for 4 years. If China called next week and said "pay up America" we'd all be learning Mandarin. Go to Romney's website it explains in English, not legalese what his plans are.

2. Energy. Romney's plan is to use more of America's natural resources and in doing this he will create more jobs here and cut spending by getting oil from overseas. This sounds great, but how will this impact our environment? I like the idea of solar and wind and things like that, I do worry about what drilling and all of that will do to the environment. What are your thoughts on this? Unfortunately companies are already engaging in "fracking" the splitting of shale for natural gas. Which is SUPER cheap and there's an abundance of under North America. Obama also said "NO" to the Keystone expansion. He's closed driling rigs and after the oil spill in the Gulf did nothing to ensure it's clean up. People from that area can probably tell you more about the "blue flu" than I can. Obama also gave a $90bill tax break to Solyndra, a solar power company. That went belly up after Obama gifted them $90bill in tax breaks...enough to cover oil for 50 years. He's also given tax breaks to oil companies and the price of gas has practically doubled during Obama's term. I also worry about the environment, we do only have 1 Earth..and I'd like to leave a (realtively) clean Earth to my kids, grandkids and great-gandkids..but with all the unrest in the Middle East, we really need to be self reliant with regard to our energy. The cost of electricy has also risen during Obama's reign.

3. Taxes. I am not a numbers person. I don't understand tax plans, all I can go on is what they say and they are both promising a tax plan that will help the middle class. Businesses are being taxed at a 35% rate, the highest in the world..Obama wants to raise that to almost 40%..among other taxes as well that affect businesses. Romney's stance is that if businesses are so heavily taxed they won't have money to hire new employees and some may be forced to close which would increase unemployment. Romney touts his plan as a "fairer, flatter tax system". Steve Forbes said this many years ago and got shellacked by the press. Forbes position was that if everyone paid the same tax rate, for the sake of easy math (cuz' mine isn't so good) say 10%. So those that eared $40K would pay $4000 and those that earned $40mill would pay $40K, there'd be no need for deductions, no problems with loopholes and the IRS as a dept would be significantly reduced. Romney said at last week's debate, that he's promoting a principal, and wants to work with democrats and republicans to figure out the path to get to the principal. Romney wants to come together with both sides to find solutions that make both sides content, and reach the end result. He said "it doesn't have to be my way..but OUR way". He did this in MASS when he was govenor, met with both sides every week to discuss the issues of MASS and how they could best solve them.

I suggest you go to Romney's website and read his plans.

That is really a very good explanation, we will not get to a simple tax plan though, under any President or under any Congress, taxing authority is the biggest power that Congress holds. But at least Romney has great intentions, and maybe  will move in the right direction.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommom2000:

You will probably get conflicting answers on this site. What I do know about outsourcing is that Obama and the democrats have tried to pass bills that would stop tax breaks for companies who outsource, and give tax breaks to companies who create jobs in America.  Both bills were blocked by the republicans.

Romney is pushing for the pipeline and more drilling in Alaska.  Environmentalist hate both of these ideas, and neither idea will help gas prices, nor does it tell private companies that they have to keep the oil in America, most likely that oil will be exported out of our country for profit.  The jobs it will create is small compared to the impact it would have on the environment.  Green jobs were created under Obama, and investing more wind and solar would also create jobs.  We are falling behind most of the countries in this department, and we should be concentrating on keeping up with the rest of the world.  I believe e are one of the only major country that half the pople thins global arming is a hoax

Obama wants to end the Bush tax cuts for anyone making over 250,000, and extend them or everyone else.  Obama has already given 98% of Americans a tax break with payroll taxes, and he has given 18 tax breaks to small business's.  Obama and he democrats think trickle down economics is a failed policy and they want to end it. They Want the wealthy to go back to the tax policies under Clinton where we created 26 million jobs. Bush cut taxes at the top and had slow job creation.  Romney wants to cut taxes even further then the Bush tax cuts, he claims hat it won't add to the deficit, because he is going to cut loop holes, his tax plan costs 480 trillion dollars and gives the wealthy huge tax breaks.  He claims he will close loop holes and deductions for the wealthy to offset this 20% break, but experts claim there isn't enough deductions to take away to make it work. If it isn't going to add o the deficit, he would also have to cut deductions that middle class take advantage of.  Bottom line is Obama thinks the economy should grow from the middle out, and Romney believes give tax breaks to the top and it will trickle down to the rest of us.

There are some nuggets of truth in this, but if further explained, it paints a false picture of reality.

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting mommom2000:

There are some nuggets of truth in this, but if further explained, it paints a false picture of reality.

Can you point out which ones you think are false, and we can discuss them.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quoting mommom2000:

Businesses are being taxed at a 35% rate, the highest in the world..Obama wants to raise that to almost 40%..among other taxes as well that affect businesses. Romney's stance is that if businesses are so heavily taxed they won't have money to hire new employees and some may be forced to close which would increase unemployment. Romney touts his plan as a "fairer, flatter tax system". Steve Forbes said this many years ago and got shellacked by the press. Forbes position was that if everyone paid the same tax rate, for the sake of easy math (cuz' mine isn't so good) say 10%. So those that eared $40K would pay $4000 and those that earned $40mill would pay

Actually Obama also wants to lower the corporate rate also, he wants to raise the rate for individuals who make over 250,000.  Small businesses sometimes file as individuals and would be affected by this, but only 3% of small business profit over 250,000 so 97% of small business wouldn't be affected.  A flat tax will never happen is a horrible idea and is actually a regressive tax that punishes the poor, while rich people save billions of dollars, the tax rate would have to be very large to bring enough revenue, and that would cripple the middle class and poor.

As I remember the debate last week,(which for me is a stretch..I have trouble remembering what I did 4 days ago..LOL) I thought I recalled Barry saying he agreed with Romney to reduce the 35% tax rate on businesses. Up until then it was my understanding Barry wanted to increase it to 39%.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommom2000:

Obama also gave a $90bill tax break to Solyndra, a solar power company. That went belly up after Obama gifted them $90bill in tax breaks...enough to cover oil for 50 years. He's also given tax breaks to oil companies and the price of gas has practically doubled during Obama's term. I also worry about the environment, we do only have 1 Earth..and I'd like to leave a (realtively) clean Earth to my kids, grandkids and great-gandkids..but with all the unrest in the Middle East, we really need to be self reliant with regard to our energy. The cost of electricy has also risen during Obama's re

That is completely false. He didn't give a 90billion dollar tax break to one company.  He spent 90 billion dollars toward green energy in his stimulus package.  Only 21 billion dollars of that went to actual companies, and out of those companies, less then 5 percent failed,which Solyndra was one of them, and when they gave the stimulus they accounted for some failing.  The rest of that 90 billion went to retrofitting peoples houses, high speed rail and other projects that are considered green. Also he has given tax breaks to oil companies, because the republicans position is to keep those subsidies, and Obama's position is to end them,republicans block him from doing that.

My bad on the $90bill part. Solyndra actually got a $527mill "loan" from the U.S. taxpayers. Of that we'll be paid back approx. $24mill. There's also some scuttlebutt about George Kaiser, who's company (name escapes me) also invested $300mill in Solyndra, is a rather active, supporter and donator (he's called the "bundler") for Obama's campaigns. Kaiser says that he's unaware of any donation from his company to Solyndra..sooo as prez of his company..he's saying that $300mill left his books and he's unaware of it's destination?? Bull..crap.

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting mommom2000:

As I remember the debate last week,(which for me is a stretch..I have trouble remembering what I did 4 days ago..LOL) I thought I recalled Barry saying he agreed with Romney to reduce the 35% tax rate on businesses. Up until then it was my understanding Barry wanted to increase it to 39%.

Obama wants to and always has wanted to raise the individual tax rate to 39, the same as it was under Clinton, when Bush enacted these tax cuts they were always meant to expire, Obama wants them o expire for anyone making over 250,000.  Some small business do file as individuals but only 3 % of businesses who do make that much.  Obama said during the debate he wanted to lower corporation taxes to 28%. Obama has never suggested raisinfcorporation taxes, only individual taxes for the wealthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)