Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Thousands of military absentee ballots are being lost

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
  • 41 Replies
4 moms liked this

Thousands of military absentee ballots are being lost

KEVIN DANIELSEN OCTOBER 1, 2012 4:45 PM

A curiously large percentage of military absentee ballots are going AWOL, according to the Virginia Watchdog.  In fact, ballot requests have seen a 92 percent decline, during one of the most high-profile elections in recent history.  Coincidence?  The Virginia Watchdoginvestigates:

A 92 percent drop in absentee-ballot requests by military personnel in Virginia is raising concerns that the Pentagon is failing to carry out a federal voting law.

With only 1,746 military voters in Virginia requesting absentee ballots so far this year - out of 126,251 service members in the state -the Military Voter Protection Project says the system has broken down.

It sounds like there has been a massive mishandling of paperwork for voters in the military.  Just the fact that there are 124, 505 fewer absentee ballots requests in the system suggests that something has gone terribly wrong.  How does one lose voting paperwork from over 120,000 members of the armed forces?  That's a good question.

This trend in Virginia is not an isolated one either.  Apparently, this issue is popping up across the US:

Compiling data from Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Illinois, Ohio, Alaska, Colorado and Nevada, Eversole's organization found that military families have requested 55,510 absentee ballots so far this year. That's a sharp decline from the 166,252 sought in those states in 2008.

The report further states that this is ‘ironic', as the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act (MOVE) was passed in 2009, supposedly making it easier for folks in the armed forces to vote.  Despite the passage of ‘MOVE', numbers are in unnaturally sharp decline.

A 92% drop in absentee ballot requests does not suggest that the data is indicating a fluctuation in ‘statistical noise'.  This is a massive reduction, and the most prevalent understanding is that the Pentagon has not followed through with allowing folks in the military their constitutional right to vote.

Whether this is by accident or on purpose, this is still an outrage.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM
6 moms liked this

Typical. Democrats are all for the right to vote - except when it involves the military, and removing dead people and fraudulent voters from the rolls. 

imamomzilla
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh gee....I was called a liar when I'd mentioned this.

Thank you!

Charlene4
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Am I misunderstanding the wording here? There is a drop in requests? That means the military person hasn't taken responsibility and requested it.
My husband (active duty military) wont be getting his absentee ballot because he hasn't taken the time to go online and request one, which takes like 2 seconds. That's his own fault. I would have done it for him, but I think that is illegal. I already have mine. 

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
3 moms liked this

The same thing happened to me.  More lies and deceit and deflect.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Thank you!

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM
6 moms liked this

The problem is that it is supposed to be easier for military personnel to get the absentee ballots, but obama has made it harder for them to get the ballots to vote because obama knows they will help vote him out of office.

Quoting Charlene4:

Am I misunderstanding the wording here? There is a drop in requests? That means the military person hasn't taken responsibility and requested it.
My husband (active duty military) wont be getting his absentee ballot because he hasn't taken the time to go online and request one, which takes like 2 seconds. That's his own fault. I would have done it for him, but I think that is illegal. I already have mine. 

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

Thank you!

and yet you still are.  Has anyone ever thought that a military member that is stationed in VA. does not have to vote in Va.  They can and will vote in their own state?  or the state that is registered as their home of record.  do some research people, hell how about ask a military member. 

Charlene4
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I see. I think it's pretty easy to do, you just go online to your county voter website, request the ballot, all you have to do is fill out a short form saying what your residents address it, what your out of county address is, pick the box that describes why you wont be present (AD/AD Dependant, etc.) and affirm that what you say is true and hit submit. I don't see how that is so difficult. But that's my state (FL, so my husband is contributing to one of the states that has seen a decline, and I can tell you it's just because he's being lazy), maybe it's harder in others.

Quoting gsprofval:

The problem is that it is supposed to be easier for military personnel to get the absentee ballots, but obama has made it harder for them to get the ballots to vote because obama knows they will help vote him out of office.

Quoting Charlene4:

shimamab
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
How did Obama make it harder? And sources would be nice.

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting Charlene4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting Charlene4:

that is such a false statement you should have your pants on fire right now.  She told you the truth about some of our members in service, yet you still do not believe her.  My husband is active duty also and I have told many of you about home of record voting, and voting in the state where they have a drivers license.  Yet you and others refuse to believe the people who are actually in the service and know the real deal.  Amazing:/

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Charlene4:

I see. I think it's pretty easy to do, you just go online to your county voter website, request the ballot, all you have to do is fill out a short form saying what your residents address it, what your out of county address is, pick the box that describes why you wont be present (AD/AD Dependant, etc.) and affirm that what you say is true and hit submit. I don't see how that is so difficult. But that's my state (FL, so my husband is contributing to one of the states that has seen a decline, and I can tell you it's just because he's being lazy), maybe it's harder in others.

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting Charlene4:

you may as well scream the truth to a wall, it will do not good to tell them any of this.  They will not listen, there are ac couple active duty wives on here, I think  service members also, that have said the same thing and other truths and yet they still come back with the same thing.  It is pointless, facts are an inconvenient to some:/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN